Winter- Bring it on!

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I'm almost enjoying the winter. Northern Lapland during last week:
1497992.jpg

And you might actually be seeing that sort of weather, but if I remember correctly you live over a Thousand Km south of Saariselkä???!! This is nearer home for you! :)

di-XKTF.jpg

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I will be shocked if we do actually get a cold winter again this year. Last years was a complete flop and this year has been more than a little bit sh*** on the weather front.

That said, I'm itching for a proper cold snowy one!

Autumn has well and truly kicked in though, brisk crisp days with frosty mornings! Love it.

Andy

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Winter in NZ now easing into a pretty miserable spring. Gales and rain most days. Had 2 really bad colds (wife had full blown flu, properly laid up in bed) several people we know had whooping cough.
Wood pile still has lots left, eaten the last of the venison sausages. 2 sheep in the paddock (the other one had a nasty accident and went to the big freezer in the sky - well, the in laws actually!)
Enjoyed the pheasant season - shot 2, dog really shaping up nicely.
Lots of home made jam left, and some pickles. Some hogget chops still in the freezer.
Planning on getting a couple of pigs and costing/planning a pen and fencing for the spring through to autumn. Asking around about fallen trees for next year's firewood.
Need to get out and get some spring venison.
And I have a barrel of yeast/sugar fermenting, and will get the still working in a couple of days - should get 6 litres at 50% alcohol... (it's leagal here!)
Yup, the seasons keep on moving, but I'm always glad to see the back of winter!

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
After getting caught out 2 years ago I aim to be prepared this time.

We try to keep a months food in the house at this time of year. The car has just been serviced. It has 4 brand new tyres, a space blanket, FAK, torch, glowsticks, tow rope, jump leads, warning triangle, snow socks and a folding snow shovel on board. Oh yes and 6 "emergency" bars of Scottish tablet that I will try very hard to be good and not eat unless I need them ;)

The only real problem is heating - ours is electric storage heaters. So if we have a powercut lasting more than 12 hours they stop outputting. My dad lives 6 miles away and he has almost a metric tonne of coal in so if needs be we can remove to there.

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
It's now -12C/10F with 20 cm of snow in some parts of Lapland. The prediction is that Southern Finland shall see minus temperatures during the nights and mornings from here on. I quess I have to start wearing a proper shirt instead of a T-shirt and book a train bound for north.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
huhy6esa.jpg

We have a wee bit. Supposed to be going over the Cockbridge Tomintoul road tomorrow morning but the snow gates are shut. Given there are apparently no gritters or ploughs going about Aberdeen city or shire, I might not be going anywhere tomorrow!

KP

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
85f here right now (29.4c) with bright sunshine. The high is supposed to be 87f (30.5c) today. Tonight's low is supposed to be 57f (13.8c) and bright and clear.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
It was also snowing between bishops stortford and audley end train stations!!
Gonna be a cold one tommorrow!!

Leave only footprints take only memories

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Just getting ready to head out for an overnight hike (sat - sun), it raining right now but as day breaks then temps are supposed to drop and we will have snow too :). Yea a snowy overnighter here I come :)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Just got up to find doncaster has had a light dusting:) that has frozen solid:rolleyes: bloody cold.
hope to see some of your snowy pictures today;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE