Winter- Bring it on!

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It was also snowing between bishops stortford and audley end train stations!!
Gonna be a cold one tommorrow!!

Leave only footprints take only memories
Take care! When I lived in Hadstock, two villagers were benighted by snow coming back from Saffrom Walden and had to spend the night in the car because the snow had drifted and was too deep to get through. Who says we have it soft in the South?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hurricane Sandy (hopefully the last of the season) is expected to collide with an Arctic blast early this coming week and hit the US East Coast somewhere between Washington and Maine. Expected power outages of several days with possibilities of a week or more in that area.

A long way from here but I'm wishing them the best through it all.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I went down to the Outer Banks in North Carolina shortly after a hurricane had gone through. Massive destruction of beach houses and shops. hope they get missed this time.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'm worried about the kids I taught in the Bahamas many years ago. We missed a hurricane back in the 70s but a tropical storm was bad enough. Somehow the news always jumps from the Caribbean to the US missing what happens in the Bahamas every year. Maybe it's because the think the Bahamas are in the Caribbean: there are, of course in the Atlantic. It's a long way from the cosy winter cold outside and a warm fireside I was thinking of when I started the thread.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
The best laid plans.....

I was quite pleased with myself for having the car winter ready, but the O2 sensor has just gone :(

On the plus side it has 1 week to run on its one year warranty, so I guess that's lucky :) I will need to embark on a 35 mile drive to where I bought it from though, so here's hoping the snow doesn't lie.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm worried about the kids I taught in the Bahamas many years ago. We missed a hurricane back in the 70s but a tropical storm was bad enough. Somehow the news always jumps from the Caribbean to the US missing what happens in the Bahamas every year. Maybe it's because the think the Bahamas are in the Caribbean: there are, of course in the Atlantic. It's a long way from the cosy winter cold outside and a warm fireside I was thinking of when I started the thread.

You're right; I rarely if ever hear about the Bahamas or Bermuda.

Sorry for the hijack, it's not what I meant to do. The reason I bring it up at all is exactly because it's so unusual for a hurricane to strike this late in the season and to hit so far north. Usully hitting in the South in the Summer, cold isn't an issue. This one's power outages could be a different problem in the colder Northern autumn (although lack of air conditioning has killed a few elderly here in the South after hurricanes)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE