Winter Hanging in the Cairngorms (again)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi Rich, great report, love the scenery and appreciate the kit list. Hoping to get up there myself at some point :)

How you get on with your OHM pack, how much does you packed pack usually weight and is it comfortable on back? Been considering getting one but unsure on how comfy it is without back frame. I have a Osprey Exos 46 which is quite light and has back frame and quite comfy but would prefer a bigger hip belt.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Rich, great report, love the scenery and appreciate the kit list. Hoping to get up there myself at some point :)

How you get on with your OHM pack, how much does you packed pack usually weight and is it comfortable on back? Been considering getting one but unsure on how comfy it is without back frame. I have a Osprey Exos 46 which is quite light and has back frame and quite comfy but would prefer a bigger hip belt.

Cheers Adam, it's hammock nirvana up there, well worth the drive.

I use my Ohm for winter trips and my CDT or GG Gorilla the rest of the year. My winter weight is anything from 9-11kgs depending on how much food I'm carrying, for this trip it was five days of food so my pack came in around 10.5kg. I had the Exos 46 for a while, the scoop on the back seemed to waste a lot of usable storage space in the main compartment and whether it helps breathability of the back was questionable, I think it's a bit of a marketing ploy personally. You get minimal padding in the ULA packs, a piece of 5mm foam slides down the inside, some folk take this out and replace it with a folded sleep mat but I don't mind the weight. Both my CDT and Ohm are really comfortable to carry, with a little bit of thought when it comes to packing they're just as comfortable as the heavy packs with loads of padding.

If you're ever anywhere near Leeds you're welcome to take a look at mine, or I can chuck them in the car one day if I'm heading to Stead Hall

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Cheers Adam, it's hammock nirvana up there, well worth the drive.

I don't drive/have car bud so would need to be train/bus or share car for me. Thinking of visiting the Dumfries area at some point but would also love to visit the Cairngorms eventually.

I use my Ohm for winter trips and my CDT or GG Gorilla the rest of the year. My winter weight is anything from 9-11kgs depending on how much food I'm carrying, for this trip it was five days of food so my pack came in around 10.5kg. I had the Exos 46 for a while, the scoop on the back seemed to waste a lot of usable storage space in the main compartment and whether it helps breathability of the back was questionable, I think it's a bit of a marketing ploy personally. You get minimal padding in the ULA packs, a piece of 5mm foam slides down the inside, some folk take this out and replace it with a folded sleep mat but I don't mind the weight. Both my CDT and Ohm are really comfortable to carry, with a little bit of thought when it comes to packing they're just as comfortable as the heavy packs with loads of padding.

If you're ever anywhere near Leeds you're welcome to take a look at mine, or I can chuck them in the car one day if I'm heading to Stead Hall

Yeah that would be great bud, I'm usually only in Leeds for an hour or so between train changes but if you're popping to Stead Hall again one day it would be great to check your packs out :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How come bud?

I've decided they give me cold feet :) Maybe they're just doing what they're supposed to but I've convinced myself that they actually feel cold against the skin, okay for walking in but not good for cold nights around camp.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I've decided they give me cold feet :) Maybe they're just doing what they're supposed to but I've convinced myself that they actually feel cold against the skin, okay for walking in but not good for cold nights around camp.

Ah I see. Think I'll stick to heat holder socks then :)

Just been going through your list and using it as a base to construct mine for a 3 days hike. Is there anything you wish you had/hadn't taken on your trip bud?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi shewie fantastic trip report and great pics, looking at your gear list what was your pack wt as there looked a lot of gear there like to know as I'm trying to get lighter pack wise .
as yet no snow in wales unfortunately there is still hope

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
hi shewie fantastic trip report and great pics, looking at your gear list what was your pack wt as there looked a lot of gear there like to know as I'm trying to get lighter pack wise .

Its the first item on his list ;)

[edit] Ah my bad, you mean pack weight, thought you was asking what pack it was.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ah I see. Think I'll stick to heat holder socks then :)

Just been going through your list and using it as a base to construct mine for a 3 days hike. Is there anything you wish you had/hadn't taken on your trip bud?

I wore Heat Holders to bed but they're a bit chunky for my Scarpas :)

I've pretty much got my kit dialed in now, I used to make lists of what I used and didn't use and could then drop stuff. The only thing on that list I didn't use was the Mini Atomic, it's my usual alky stove but I took it for backup for the Fancee Feest I was trialing. I could've done with a set of crampons one day but it was no biggy.

Pack weight for that trip was 10.5kg Dave, I had five days of food, fuel and 1L of water included in that weight though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE