Gardening in a small space.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I only have a small garden. It's L shaped, made up of 2 L's, each approx 8m x 3m, Due to the position of the house, one side of the L is in near perpetual shade, and thus entirely useless for growing pretty much anything other than rhubarb. This leaves me with one 8m x 3m area to get as much as I possibly can out of.

In this area I have 12 apple trees. Five of them are in the ground as cordons, 7 are in containers. They are all on dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstocks, so they don't get too big. I also have a half dozen raspberry canes in the corner, 9 blackcurrant bushes, and a 16'x4' raised bed.

I mentioned this lot in a previous thread and people asked for photos. So.

The view of the raised bed, with the various containers around it, the twiggy things to the left are the black currants. In the foreground is a James Grieve apple. In this view you can see 6 of the apple containers (one is kinda hidden behind the green bin). The raised bed has just been weeded ready for this years season. You may be able to make out the straggly ends of the potato plants at this end. I have planted beetroot and lettuce in the quarter just past the half way mark. I have some onion plants that are almost ready to go in the same quarter of the bed. The quarter just past where the spuds are will be beans and pumpkin this year. The far end will be brassicas.

raisedbed1_sm.jpg

View looking the other way, the cordon apple trees are at the far end by the wall, they are planted at a slight angle, the hope being they make a nice productive hedge. The four terracotta pots in the middle of the picture contain some tulips. One of my small concessions to the usual policy of only plants I can eat or use in some way (I grow woad and madder for example) in the garden.

raisedbed2_sm.jpg

A close up of one of the apple containers. This is a new tree for this year, where as others in the garden range in age upto 9 years. This tree will only stay in this pot for this season, in the winter I will report it into a wooden container like the one in the next image.

applecontainer2_sm.jpg

I made these containers using some cheap pressure treated CLS from jewsons, they are about 8 years old, and seem to be holding up ok. They have plenty of volume for the roots to develop, and also provide a nice handy area to perch on when you taking a break from weeding. My revised design will see a better integrated seat... The length of chestnut on the right is about to be turned into a support steak for the tree.

applecontainer1_sm.jpg

My container forest... kinda. Here we have a hazel tree, an Oak tree, an old Christmas tree, a herb bed, and a straggly looking mint plant. The oak I rescued from someones lawn as when I was visiting, as it was about to get chopped up by the lawn mower. It's been living happily in this container for a while now. It's slow growing, and eventually, I will plant it in the ground, tho doubtful it will be in this garden. For now I tend to take a few leaves from it when I make oak leaf wine. The herb bed is a plasters mixing tub, it was about a tenner, and cheaper than any container of it's size intended for garden use, it is home to two thyme plants and a rosemary plant.

oakhazel1_sm.jpg

So, even if you have a small space, you can cram a lot in. The blackcurrants (variety Ben Sarek) gave me 15lb of fruit last year, I got 5lb of green beans off beans grown in ¼ of the raised bed. I am never going to be self sufficient from such a small space, but I manage to grow quite a chunk of my own food, and there is a great feeling of satisfaction to sit under an apple tree eating a salad you grew just a few feet away from you.

Food miles... food inches...

J

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Dont have a lot of space my self so this has given me some ideas thanks.
Now to do some weeding and plating rather than just sat here reading about it

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Fascinating to see - thank you. Bet those trees take some watering!

They do take a lot of water. Being that I live in the first floor flat, there is no outside tap, so I have to rely either on the 500L loft tank I installed on as a waterbutt (normal water butts are tooo small. Or up and down the stairs with lots of watering cans. When it's really dry, watering the garden becomes quite an exercise...

The oak tree used to be on top of the tank by the wall, but on sunny days it just cooked, so I moved it so that it doesn't get so much heat. I am planning on putting tomatoes on top of the water tank instead.

In such a small space compost/manure and watering become really crucial. There is very little nutrient in a container that size, so I have to give regular top dressings of manure, repot them every 1-2 years, and also give them blood fish and bone every so often. The raised bed is in a cycle where half the bed gets a load of manure ever year, this allows the root crops that are none to keen on heavy manured beds.

Dont have a lot of space my self so this has given me some ideas thanks.
Now to do some weeding and plating rather than just sat here reading about it

You would be amazed at what you can do in a small space. Even a window sill can get you a reasonable crop.

Take a look at things like Salad mix, in an old icecream tub will give you a good feed. A pack of seeds is not much different to the cost of one bag of supermarket salad, and will keep you going for a whole season. Use the full range of mixes that they sell and you can get salad year round from just a window sill. You don't have to limit it to salad leaves, there are compact Chilli and Tomato plants that will happily grow on a sunny window sill. My lounge window is home every summer to half dozen chilli, pepper and tomato plants - Usually 2 of each. I have even managed to increase my productive space in the lounge by hanging 2 hanging baskets off the curtain rail. It wasn't my intent, they are supposed to be in the garden, but as they are fruiting already...

You can also do simple things like veg in grow bags, not just tomatos, but many other crops. This year my grow bags are home to: Woad, Strawberries, Salad leaves.

I am planning on growing dwarf beans in large window boxes, and dwarf runner beans (Either Hestia or Pickwick. Thompson and Morgan even do a seed collection specially for the small urban garden.

How big's your garden?

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE