Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Brilliant photo! What settings and equipment were you using for that?
Setting are dependant on how you like to work I use flash for macro

This is similar to what I use now an Olympus OMD E-M1ii with a Laowa 50mm f2.8 macro lens (shot shows an Olympus 60mm f2.8 I no longer have) and a Olympus STF*8 twin flash

E-M1ii macro rig 4 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Reactions: FerlasDave

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Adders!
A pair of females (the darker, inner, one looks preggers to me - it's certainly nearing that time of year for them):
52184510925_810eda60a8_c.jpg

And another female, in that classic snake pose:
52184274094_de8847d349_z.jpg

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Lovely pictures as always.
The local snakes around here have all gone into hiding - a combination of the sun being too fierce and also birthing season.
By the way, that's a male adder.
The giveaway is the colour of the zig zag pattern - females are dark brown and males are black. The main background colour is also a general indicator - males range from white to pale brown, the females from pale brown to terracotta.

A few weeks ago I saw my first ever black adder, but it slithered off before I could get a picture. No sign of Baldrick or Percy though.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Lovely pictures as always.
The local snakes around here have all gone into hiding - a combination of the sun being too fierce and also birthing season.
By the way, that's a male adder.
The giveaway is the colour of the zig zag pattern - females are dark brown and males are black. The main background colour is also a general indicator - males range from white to pale brown, the females from pale brown to terracotta.

A few weeks ago I saw my first ever black adder, but it slithered off before I could get a picture. No sign of Baldrick or Percy though.
Great to see a melanistic adder.

Are you so sure about the sex?

Which of these two mating snakes is female and btw I unfortunately disturbed them and saw separate look under the tail to the right of the brown leaf.

Pair mating by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Edit here is a an edit of one of the shots from the sequence

mating adders by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
What colour do you think they are?

The zig zag on the brown one is dark brown and therefore female. The zig zag on the white one is black and therefore male. There are other reasons for that diagnosis - the background colours of the two (admittedly, there is variation across sexes) and the relative sizes as well.
This colouration is subject to variation but mostly in the earlier part of the year before it sheds its skin. But not by this late time of the year.
Another clue are the spots along the flank. In the male they are more defined, but less so in the female. Look at your pictures - the white (male) has clearly defined spots on the flank. Less so the brown (female) one.
There are other distinguishing marks, but they are not shown in your pictures - it would be useful to see the tips of their noses and the areas around their *ahem* 'private' bits.

I'm no expert, but I do a lot of volunteering with the local reptile and amphibian group surveying and recording. And in that time I have picked up a bit of knowledge, so I feel completely confident in saying the big brown one is female and the small white one is male.
Send the pictures (with time/date/location - good for their records!) to your reptile and amphibian group, or the wildlife trust, or the zoology department at the nearby university. They will all be happy to help and will all come back with the same answer.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
@Wander you are 100% correct.

This picture was labelled as a ‘her’ though. It’s a male. There is some crossover with markings with some females being darker than some and some males being lighter etc.

C6163107-D6AB-4FDD-B1B7-C2350B51FD74.png
Male.

Reactions: FerlasDave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE