Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The little owl, Athena noctua, (I learned it as Athena owl or Owl of Athena).

I am not very good on Tringa but I thought redshank has red legs in all dresses?

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Yes, that's right - red shanks have red legs. It might not show well in this picture, but these were red shanks. The picture was a bit of a lob shot at the limit of focus, and it was also a bright sun causing strong shade and contrast, so it doesn't show too well. There were loads about. At one point a flock of about 50 or so immediately took off and came flying toward me. I fumbled for my camera because it would have made a fantastic image, but they were gone by the time I had the camera out.
A salutary lesson there - sometimes it's just best to enjoy that encounter with nature and be part of the moment rather than scramble to take a picture and relegate yourself to the role of observer.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
First of all, i did'nt take this photo. It was taken by my brother.
I know what it is, but i wondered how many other folk on here would know.
Not that difficult, but get guessing :D

Spider.jpg

Reactions: wookii

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
It's what my Daughter would call 'A Hunky one'...
" Dad there's a spider in the bath"
"Well pick it up then"
" No I can't! It's a big hunky one "

I was going to say some type of Tarantula..but they are usually different shades of brown, are they not?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH it could be one of a number of spiders depending which continent it's from - the legs look too thin for a Australian Mouse Spider, it looks a bit big for a Black House Spider (Badumna insignis) - so I'll guess at a Trapdoor Spider but not sure which species.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Yep, it's a funnel web. My brothers retired now, but he was a zoologist. He worked for various zoo's and sanctuaries in Oz as well as a period at Chester zoo.
I don't think I would be keen to have a funnel web spider on the back of my hand!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE