Wildlife pictures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A couple of recent ones.
A pair of slow worms. The darker one on the left looks like it may still be pregnant. If so, it's leaving it a bit late to give birth. Mind you, the picture was taken about a week ago so it may have given birth by now.
52288617357_85caf5254d_z.jpg

And a male common lizard...
52290081220_9f0bf75c84_z.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: wookii and Mesquite

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I don't know about Wild life , but this farmer in Devon has turned over 100 Acres to wild flowers - I popped down to see the glory . Bee hives were present so only a good thing.

I love reading about farmers that do that kind of things. Did he charge for access?

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Crazy isn't it. There was much discussion on snakes eating other snakes....who knew?
A bit off subject, but the unknown eating habits of some wild animals, at least to me, can be quite surprising.
A few years ago I was camped in the Forest of Dean and early one morning, from within the tent, I was watching a Fallow Deer grazing in the field nearby when a Blackbird landed close to the Deer. To my amazement the Deer ran a couple of paces to the bird and stomped on it and then deliberately ate it!!

I scrambled for the camera but too late, the Deer ran off into the forest close by.
Not much of a photo, but if you look closely a few feathers remain and some hoof prints of the bird eating Fallow..(left and also below the feathers)
I understand a Deer eating carrion perhaps, but this one killed the Bird and promptly ate it while still warm.

Reactions: wookii

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A bit off subject, but the unknown eating habits of some wild animals, at least to me, can be quite surprising.
A few years ago I was camped in the Forest of Dean and early one morning, from within the tent, I was watching a Fallow Deer grazing in the field nearby when a Blackbird landed close to the Deer. To my amazement the Deer ran a couple of paces to the bird and stomped on it and then deliberately ate it!!

I scrambled for the camera but too late, the Deer ran off into the forest close by.
Not much of a photo, but if you look closely a few feathers remain and some hoof prints of the bird eating Fallow..(left and also below the feathers)
I understand a Deer eating carrion perhaps, but this one killed the Bird and promptly ate it while still warm.
I think there are far more "opportunistic" omnivores than the Vegan lobby would have us believe. Watch chickens eating a live mouse as an example :oops:

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My uncle raised some white turkeys. Getting on towards autumn, Thanksgiving and Christmas with a big family, these were 15-20kg birds. Amazing speed to eat a running mouse. The farm cats never had a chance.

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My uncle raised some white turkeys. Getting on towards autumn, Thanksgiving and Christmas with a big family, these were 15-20kg birds. Amazing speed to eat a running mouse. The farm cats never had a chance.
I recall watching a grass snale eating a frog alive. The "fluffy bunny" view of noble gentle animals is laughable to anyone who spends time with animals. It's not that they're cruel, they simply don't care.

Reactions: wookii

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE