Wild Stove’s Wood gas stove MK II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
On the Hong Kong tracker thingy, mine left the country on the 10th March.:p

Granite Head, so yours took 10 days from China? Good going:)

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
rub it in ;)

sturdy enough is it?

Sorry ZEbbEDY was'nt intending to be smug, just trying to give delivery feedback to anyone who has orders in the system.
I have'nt had a burn with it yet, but first impressions it looks like a sturdy bit a kit. Looks like the same stove as pictured on the WildStoves website.

Granite Head, so yours took 10 days from China? Good going:)
Yes hh, 10 days using the cheaper delivery option (also came as registered post), honestly was'nt expecting it for another few weeks so very surprised. Well packaged and the customs declaration label clearly designed to avoid duty :)

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Top news GH, I'm looking forward to receiving mine now.
Only thing is I've got to change my billy configuration on my brew kit from 12cm to 14cm so it nestles inside.
Aren't they 13cm+ in width?

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
Top news GH, I'm looking forward to receiving mine now.
Only thing is I've got to change my billy configuration on my brew kit from 12cm to 14cm so it nestles inside.
Aren't they 13cm+ in width?

My MKII Wild WoodGas Stove (in its bag) nests inside my 12cm billy can. Not sure the diameter of the AliExpress one.

Edit - Measured the Billy and it's actually a 14cm. Sorry

Last edited:

Hypnagog

Nov 12, 2012
Essex
hotchpotchblog.wordpress.com
I've just measured my Billy Can. It's actually a 14cm.

I ordered it as a 12 a few months ago and didn't see the need to check.

Sorry for the mix up. I'd better pop back and edit that post lest I lead anyone into buying a 12cm.

I've been popping into shops today measuring biscuit tins to use as a stand/scorch preventer for it. I've got to go back and repeat it now. So if you see a weirdo measuring biscuit tins in supermarkets tomorrow feel free to come up and tell me that I was wrong :)

Last edited:

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
I've just measured my Billy Can. It's actually a 14cm.

I ordered it as a 12 a few months ago and didn't see the need to check.

Sorry for the mix up. I'd better pop back and edit that post lest I lead anyone into buying a 12cm.

I've been popping into shops today measuring biscuit tins to use as a stand/scorch preventer for it. I've got to go back and repeat it now. So if you see a weirdo measuring biscuit tins in supermarkets tomorrow feel free to come up and tell me that I was wrong :)

Damn. I got excited thinking I cocked it up and that I could down-size my billy can a bit.
I wasn't trying to be a smart-****.

Maybe the knock-off one will fit a smaller can?

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
My Chinese Wild Stove ordered on Aliexpress arrived today :1244: Ordered 1st March, despatched 3rd, arrived today 15th.
I'll have a play with fire later but it looks great so far. The top ring with pot stand on looks different from the other parts
though. It looks lighter, cheaper and flimsier with some sharp edges, and some free play when it's in situ. Nothing to
complain about really though. Also my metal mug just about fits on the pot stand although with minimal air clearance underneath.
I think my mug is French Army issue or at least was advertised as such on Ebay.

I'll test it later with great anticipation as my home made bean can wood gas stove works pretty well, boiling a mug
of water on a handful of wood.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
YAY!!!!:D Mine arrived today too.
13.5cm at it's widest. 6.5cm tall packed away & 16.3cm at it's full height ready for a brew with pot supports out.
As Dave-the-Rave said the pot stand/support appears to be a bit flimsy. A quick squeeze with some pliers tightened up the pot stand arms.
If needed you can buy the new pot stand for £15. But as the whole China import cost just over £19 delivered I won't be going down that route.
http://wildstoves.co.uk/stove-spares/wild-woodgas-stove-replacement-pot-support-top/
I'm on nights at the moment so haven't had time today to have a play. Sunday maybe :campfire: + :coffee: = goodjob
Thanks for the heads up. Harry.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
No pics of my first burn with the stove as my cameras battery was dead. The stove works fine as expected. It was very windy outside and I had no wind shield so wasn't expecting and didn't get, a fast boil time. Also I was using a piece of 4x2 as fuel as it seems to grow everywhere in London.:lmao: The gasifying action is quite amazing to watch I must say.

The biggest lesson I learned is about heat transfer from the stove into the ground. My home made job still had the base in place on the outside can so it wasn't a problem but on this one the bottom has no base. I used the stove on an asphalt sort of pathway on my estate thinking a solid base like that would be fine. After burning I scuffed the tell tale heat circle on the path with my foot to remove the ash and guess what? The gravel came away revealing a lovely round hole in the path. :yikes: The asphalt was hot hot hot and melting. This thing transfers some serious heat downwards which could easily be a problem in woodland if used uninsulated.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
Cheers for the info:)
On a few YouTube tests I've seen, people have used stone/rock platforms or taken a foil/ally pie tray to avoid such "burn circles". Not an issue when I take it beach fishing, ours is all pebbles!
I've got to wait to try mine. :(
I think a Zebra 14cm will be purchased to house my new brew kit in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE