Wild Stove’s Wood gas stove MK II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
You are right it wasnt always thus. It was Ali's response to fraudulent sellers in the early days. Works really well though and it keeps the seller interested as they dont get dosh until you are happy. The only greay area is if you get goods and they are not as advertised. Ali will usually ask you to agree compensation with the seller. Ive had it happen once or twice. I got a load of bamboo spoons and 10% were broken. The seller agreed to a pro rata refund though so all was good. Ultimately you can return goods but you pay for the return shipping so it seldom happens. With an item that a lot of people have bought and with good feedback it should be fine though. Not disimilar to ebay in that respect

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Another thing to remember is that many western sellers pick chinese product and have it branded up as their own. Im not saying thats the case here, i just dont know. Alpkit do a lot of it. You can get an alpkit manta headlamp delivered for a tenner but without the alpkit logo. The only patent issue with that is calling it a manta. The torch n question is a brand called explorer.

i have no issue with buying stuff cheap but if its patented i leave it alone and buy the original

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
Another thing to remember is that many western sellers pick chinese product and have it branded up as their own. Im not saying thats the case here, i just dont know. Alpkit do a lot of it. You can get an alpkit manta headlamp delivered for a tenner but without the alpkit logo. The only patent issue with that is calling it a manta. The torch n question is a brand called explorer.

i have no issue with buying stuff cheap but if its patented i leave it alone and buy the original

Well indeed. I'm also a firm a believer in the refining power of free markets. If someone produces a better product that is cheaper,then it is perfectly reasonable that they should be the ones that triumph.

However if the Chinese ones are indeed simply exploiting the famously "liberal" interpretation of copywrite law in China (i.e. total disregard) then I'm a bit more uncomfortable about giving them my money.

I suppose someone should actually call Wild Stoves and see if they can get them to explain. If indeed they are just acting as resellers to cheap Chinese imports, they may be loath to admit it. Not least because it would imply they have a 300% markup on the ones they sell.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
They have already been on the forum and denied it but then to be fair if i was in their shoes thats what id do otherwise the price becomes indefensible. There are now many uk suppliers selling the clones for up to £30 so i think the copyright issue has been well and truly tested

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
They have already been on the forum and denied it but then to be fair if i was in their shoes thats what id do otherwise the price becomes indefensible. There are now many uk suppliers selling the clones for up to £30 so i think the copyright issue has been well and truly tested

Given that the feedback seems to be that the copies are no worse, even if their design has been stolen one wonders if Wild Stoves wouldn't do better to abandon their own production and become a reseller for the copies. They could lop £25 off the selling price for no reduction in quality....

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've for one that I bought as the wild woodgas mark II on eBay, though I have a suspicion I've been sold a fake, but to be honest it works fine, however I think plagiarism and copying design Is wrong, I don't buy fakes, it's a shame I think I have but it was unintentional.

It does work though, so I guess the design is solid, shame about copy's though.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Its something that happens time and time again. I always look at dragons den when people walk in and say "here is my new super dooper flugalbinder id like £200,000" dragon says "is it patented"? "no"? Bye then!!

People will always imitate for cheaper in business and if you cant protect the product then your business plan is flawed in a big way.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I really prefer the look of the stamped triangular legs on the Chinese copy compared to the wire legs of the real thing, since it looks like there are several positions in which they could be used. This of course causes me a problem since I'm disinclined to buy a copy and thereby support business practices I find objectionable, nor do I want to register for AliExpress since I've heard negative things about their fraud prevention.

However there is a compromise which salves my conscience sufficiently whilst producing the desired outcome. If any of the people here who bought one of the Chinese ones with the triangular stamped metal legs and didn't like it, I'll gladly buy it off you. Just PM me if you're interested.

Get in touch with the Chinese seller and ask them to sell you just the pot support, that's what I did.

It's a subtle moral distinction, but I think an important one ;)

It's not so much that they steal your money Paul, but from what I've heard if you encounter a fraudster, basically your money is gone. Unlike ebay & paypal, they supposedly wont lift a finger to get you your money back.

Wouldn't make a difference as you could just go direct to your bank and get charges reversed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE