Wild Britain with Ray Mears series 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I love learning about British Wildlife, it gives reason for a lot of people to get out and about. He has covered a lot of bushcraft now but when i saw him at the outdoors show he did comment that he would like to film more bushcraft skills. He went on to say that the famous birch bark canoe episode had to be done 'under the radar' as the people at the BBC didn't think that an hour long episode of a guy building a canoe would generate interest. I don't think the guys at the bbc and itv will let him cover the ideas that he has. I suppose he could cover more episodes on peoples survival encounters in his survival series though, but as i said i like learning about British wildlife. :)

Ste

Every wildlife prog is the same.
Deer
Seals
Badgers
Otters.
etc, etc.
The only thing that changes is the presenter..and there are a lot of them out there better than Raymondo, I say stick to survival and bushcrafty things, there is still plenty to be spoken about.:camping:

Scullion

Oct 15, 2012
Essex
I can see him becoming the next Attenbourgh at some point.

I reckon that's his plan, now that Attenborough is sadly probably on his way out!!

However, on the show itself, even still though still very knowledgable, I much prefer when he covers bushcraft....

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I was bored stiff to tell yer the truth and I like the old Ray Mears stuff, I think because it's Ray that some folk say it was good.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I really enjoyed the program. You can see how much passion he has for wildlife and his native country.

It was good to see RM getting back to his roots, after all he did start his working life as a photographer, then quickly moved on to photographing wildlife.

There's nowt wrong with product placement, especially if it's yer own product :cool:

Looking forward tothe next one.

Luke

I pretty much agree with this statement, i didnt know he started his working life a photographer though!

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
This is a forum that talks mainly about kit and eating food. I don't think I'd have expected any different replies to some I've seen here.

Last edited:

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Yeah, you're right. It would be great if he stuck to his guns and did more Bushcraft'y programmes. But unfortuneately I suppose there isnt enough audience for such a show.

I was "Mear"'ly stating that it was a great wildlife show and supports British wildlife rather than from across the globe. Wild Britain shows how anyone can access nature and get a great insight into the natural world of this escalating urban country.

Survival programmes are seen alot more on TV than bushcraft programmes, because sitting by a campfire making damper and pine needle tea wouldnt get as much views as Grylls ripping open a camel carcase and sleeping in it, or drinking the juice from efalump poop! :D

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I was bored stiff to tell yer the truth and I like the old Ray Mears stuff, I think because it's Ray that some folk say it was good.

Glad I read this before bothering to press play, I thought as much considering his last couple of TV series. Why doesn't he do bushcraft again, who cares if he's repeating the old stuff??

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I haven't watched it yet but I liked the last lot of wildlife stuff he did, and compared with what else is on TV, I'll happily watch a UK wildlife program!

While I loved the bushcraft stuff he's done, the bottom line is HE'S doing what HE wants, and I suspect he doesn't care if a bunch of bushcrafters are disappointed ;)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker"This is a forum that talks mainly about kit and eating food. I don't think I'd have expected any different replies to some I've seen here."

I agree.

I thought that his piece to camera after he'd swum with the basking shark was masterful. No trite cliches or use of the dreaded "A" word...amazing! It was clear that he had just experienced something that affected him, and he communicated that to us watching masses superbly well.

As to the cynical comments about product placement you only take that view because you recognise the kit he uses. A large chunk of the audience neither knows or cares. What is he supposed to do; sit on the beach otter watching in the nude!

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I must have been watching a different show to some of you guys. It was just about OK but no more, I really like Ray but these shows are just not up to the standard of the rest of the genre.

Agreed. I like him, and have enjoyed a number of his previous series', but in this one he was a bit like a fish out of water - he lacked the gravitas and knowledge that give Attenborough his credibility, and he seemed almost uncomfortable on and around the water.

The subject matter is great, but he just doesn't seem comfortable with the material.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Agreed. I like him, and have enjoyed a number of his previous series', but in this one he was a bit like a fish out of water - he lacked the gravitas and knowledge that give Attenborough his credibility, and he seemed almost uncomfortable on and around the water.

The subject matter is great, but he just doesn't seem comfortable with the material.

ditto.

plus 1 'cause ditto is too short on it's own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE