Wild Britain with Ray Mears series 3

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Did anyone watch this on ITV1 last night? It was a great show, especially when watched in HD. He really must pick the perfect weather for his wildlife shots. I can see him becoming the next Attenbourgh at some point.

I prefer to watch Ray's programmes, Britain has so many hidden corners and some really great wildlife, it's a proper shame that only Ray and Jonny Kingdom fly the flag for our nature.

Well done "Grey" Mears. :D

lucan

Nomad
Sep 6, 2010
East Yorks
I watched it and i enjoyed it in (H.D.), for what it was, a nature program, which should be left to People like Attenborough I.M.O. Not exactly the R.M. that i'm used to watching, Where there's something that i can actively learn and use.:), I'm sure he loves what he's doing, Just seems a bit of a waste of his talents to be fair.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
He's done all the bushcraft stuff, I prefer to see him moving on with his life and career than filming yet another friction fire lighting et al video; those are ten a penny on youtube these days.

I love David Attenborough programmes but the chap is 86 now.

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I am in agreement with Rik here, its good to see him move into a different field. The bushcraft stuff is cool, but there is only so many times he can demo the same things. The locations and cinematography are the best reasons for watching.Louis

Jackdaw

I must admit that it was better than the last series which I turned of from very quickly. The shots seemed to be over exposes and poorly planned out like he had a mate holding a camera and the series was originally destined for YouTube. Also like the last series, it seemed the guy likes to change his jackets or hats about 5 times a shot. I had a running joke during the last series that at some point he'll be seen wearing them all at the same time. And he did. From memory: a Buffalo, a Swanndri Bush Shirt and a Swazi Tahr. Like me he's a big guy and must run hot so must have been sweltering in them all. I've not worn that much gear; even on OPs in Norway!

There are better wildlife presenters out there such as Gordon Buchanan and Monty Hall but he's doing better this time. That said, I will continue to tune in to this series as the first one was pretty good.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Just another platform to promote his products!!! Nice to see him sitting there in his Jerven Bag!!! :lol: I'm sure they'll sell out soon - Just like him :lol:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Was a bit disappointed with it in all honesty, I sat there thinking how many product placement equipment shots & costume changes there would be in this particular series and he didnt disappoint on that front:lmao:, still he is a canny businessman and no doubt if we were in the same situation, we would use it to our advantage, i know i would:)

Sure the bushy stuff has been flogged to death, there again so have programmes about Otters & Seals, being a Sussex Lad he could have stayed here to watch Otters & Seals, loads around if you know where to look for them.

I would much rather watch Ray doing a programme like the Northern Wilderness series where he follows & explores the history of the pioneers, as he did with Samuel Hearne etc, much more interesting in my opinion.

I'll watch next week and if it's no better i probably wont bother with the rest of the series.

I really enjoyed the program. You can see how much passion he has for wildlife and his native country.

It was good to see RM getting back to his roots, after all he did start his working life as a photographer, then quickly moved on to photographing wildlife.

There's nowt wrong with product placement, especially if it's yer own product :cool:

Looking forward tothe next one.

Luke

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I liked - so did BB, half an hour of nice landscapes, good presenter, not too much science just an appreciation of nature. Worked for us.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
didnt like the new series at all,my kids were very disappointed,theres more bushcraft in the go compare advert!

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
in fairness to mr mears, theres nothing in the title of this series that would suggest that there is anything to do with 'bushcraft'. his followers just expect there will be, after all its presented by ray mears.!
what i have seen so far and its early days, was a fairly bland performance with no real enthusiasm that were so used to seeing. i think i'll give it another episode or two to see if it improves. :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Mixed feelings about this one, its still nice to see what you can see when your about and about, still found it enjoyable, and it brought some of the memories back from being in the Mull area a number of years ago... oh yeah and the all the bites from the migies

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I can see him becoming the next Attenbourgh at some point.

Really? Personally, I don't think it'll ever happen. He doesn't have the depth of knowledge or affability of Attenborough and, like it or lump it, will have HUGE difficulty in shedding his association with bushcraft and survival - a link that he has spent many years and much effort in forging. Natural history seems to me to be an 'incidental' to his c.v.; I reckon his real strength and knowledge lies in military history: thoughts run to his programme on Rogers' Rangers and the Real Heroes of Telemark.

It is good to see the natural history of this country celebrated though, even if it wasn't quite up to the BBC/Attenborough quality we've come to expect and enjoy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are no real mainstream alternatives to medium profile media personality does wildlife programme to a mediocre shallow standard in order to justify big bucks deal to get him on board the network.
You know exactly who the genuine alternatives are, they've been named in this thread.

Better than nothing then.

He don't do bushcraft anymore on the telly.....give the fella a break:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE