How the Wild West was won with Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
...Like I said, I'll watch the next ones, however, it does seem like yet another opportunity lost by the BBC.

I agree completely, Orchard. The gold standard of broadcasting in the US is the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). They have an amazing series called, Nature. This year, I saw one of the best episodes, ever. It is called Touching the Wild. It tells how Joe Hutto, a famous author and naturalist spent 7 years of his life as part of a herd of wild mule deer. I have not read his book yet, but plan to do so. The episode is astounding.

I mentioned this video in another thread on the forum. But to make things easier, here is the link to the video: Touching the Wild Video

Here is a link to some background that I have assembled about Joe Hutto and a link to both of his Nature videos: Background and links to all videos

Check out the mule deer video. It is fantastic! Unfortunately, that set my expectations sky high coming in to the current Ray Mears series.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I agree completely, Orchard. The gold standard of broadcasting in the US is the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS)......

PBS the gold standard? They do have some good shows; but mostly the rest of their programming is rejects from real tv. The best nature shows in the US currently are on the Outdoor Channel.

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
I agree completely, Orchard. The gold standard of broadcasting in the US is the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). They have an amazing series called, Nature. This year, I saw one of the best episodes, ever. It is called Touching the Wild. It tells how Joe Hutto, a famous author and naturalist spent 7 years of his life as part of a herd of wild mule deer. I have not read his book yet, but plan to do so. The episode is astounding.

I mentioned this video in another thread on the forum. But to make things easier, here is the link to the video: Touching the Wild Video

Here is a link to some background that I have assembled about Joe Hutto and a link to both of his Nature videos: Background and links to all videos

Check out the mule deer video. It is fantastic! Unfortunately, that set my expectations sky high coming in to the current Ray Mears series.

- Woodsorrel

Thanks Woodsorrel, i've bookmarked it to watch later !

:)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi santaman2000!

I am not familiar with this channel. Can you provide a link to any online videos from this network that you think we might enjoy?

Thanks,

- Woodsorrel

Here's a link to the channel itself. On the menu bar across the top there's a link to episode videos. www.outdoorchannel.com At the far right of that menu bar is also a selection for "outdoor interests" that allows you to choose from hunting, fishing, recipes, off road, conservation, etc.

Last edited:
Looking forward to tomorrows episode!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zmxqr

This looks very interesting! I had a brief opportunity to be part of a cattle drive many years ago. But it was not in the US, I was traveling abroad. The experience was very interesting, but it definitely took a toll on my body. I am not a good rider. So in truth, I think my horse was the brains of the operation. :) Some interesting advice I got at the start was to "let the cattle escape in the direction you want them to go". I thought it was practical advice that may have larger applications in life...

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:
I was just reading the wiki entry on the Donner Party that was mentioned in the first episode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Blimey!

I remember some Hollywood movie where comedian Robin Williams was playing a doctor. He holds up the arm of a replica skeleton and says in the tone you would use at a restaurant: "Donner, party of one!" Corny, but it made me smile nonetheless.

- Woodsorrel

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
In my above post linking the Outdoor Channel: if anyone cares to click on the link, select Outdoor Interests from the menu, then select Conservation from the submenu, next open the link on the Florida Bear population. As you scroll down the article you'll find a map of Florida showing the Black Bears' primary and secondary population centers. In the far western part of that map is an area labeled Eglin. The green shaded part (Eglin AFB military reservation) is about 30 miles by 60 miles; the tan/brown shaded area is the Blackwater River State Forest and is a similar size. Almost all the State Forest and much of the military reservation are open to public recreation. I live between the two.

This is a common road sign here http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WmDQ5lDiL._SL1500_.jpg

Farther along the Conservation link there's an article on Africam, and still farther an article on bird species out children may never see. There are currently 26 pages of articles on this one submenu. Bear in mind though that while these articles are there now, thepages are updated regularly and they will be replaced by more current articles so pay attention to the date of this post.

Last edited:

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
Rather disappointed he usually shows a bit more historical insight. Very much scripted so as not to offend a mainstream, white, American audience. The statement about the Mexican boarder being more defined and the Mexicans in retreat somewhat took my breath away. Don't get me stated about venal land-grabs which result in the importation of inappropriate European farming practices on marginal land. Not terrible but I guess I was just expecting better.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got to admit, this episode was very dumbed down and er... not exactly attention grabbing.

I think it focused too much on 'what they did' than 'what they did and how they did it'. Tries to tackle too much subject matter in a short time and doesn't even scratch the surface. The switch to BBC4 rather than mainstream BBC1 or 2 was in evidence in this programme.

Last edited:

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Rather disappointed he usually shows a bit more historical insight. Very much scripted so as not to offend a mainstream, white, American audience. The statement about the Mexican boarder being more defined and the Mexicans in retreat somewhat took my breath away. Don't get me stated about venal land-grabs which result in the importation of inappropriate European farming practices on marginal land. Not terrible but I guess I was just expecting better.
Care to expand a bit matey???

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I think the main conclusion I am reaching on this series is that it should be 6 episodes, not 3. You can see they filmed for 6, but cut it to 3. Trying to do too much, in not enough screen time is a shame.

This said, I have enjoyed the series, and hope that Ray produces more, maybe with a bit more control over the cut.

Julia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Rather disappointed he usually shows a bit more historical insight. Very much scripted so as not to offend a mainstream, white, American audience.......

Doubtful. Mainstream, white Americans aren't part of his audience over here. And certainly not part of PBS's audience. RM's audience is more upper class. PBS's audience is more left wing.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I was just reading the wiki entry on the Donner Party that was mentioned in the first episode:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donner_Party

Blimey!

its where the dish donner kebab comes from. Someone has to say these things otherwise focus would be lost.

I thought it was very good, but its far more a history programme, maybe thats what he intended. The programmes he has done as of late have been far more easy going, like the australia ones. Maybe its the lymes, maybe the commercial mass market appeal/trying to be different, or maybe just he's done all the rough stuff he'll do.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE