Wierd Gas Canister Problem.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
When I went to Loch Lomond a few weeks ago ( http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125739 ), the gas stove that I took as a backup and quick brew maker failed. The canister had been in my shed for a year or two, but was almost full, which was why I took it with me.

While I was there, I thought that there was a fault with the stove, as there was plenty of gas in when the nozzle was forced. Tonight though, I tried the stove on a different (almost empty) gas canister, and a new stove on the old and almost empty canister.

The results proved that it is the canister to blame; both stoves work perfectly on the almost empty canister. At a glance, there appears to be nothing wrong with the canister. On closer inspection though, the threaded nipple is ever so slightly depressed (less than 1mm), with the result that the internal pin isn't pushing the canister plunger down far enough to release the gas.

What caused it? My canisters are kept in my shed, on a shelf about 60cm off the concrete floor. I've known them to be knocked off the shelf, so it would seem that this canister has been knocked off the shelf and landed on the sweet spot that depressed the threaded nipple, but not enough to be immediately noticeable.

Check your canisters before you go out.....

Cheers, Michael.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
There was a problem a couple of years back where I think it was certain sized of Coleman gas had a manufacturing fault where they wouldn't work with certain stoves. It caused havoc for folk doing a certain big mountain marathon at the time. Failing that all it needs is a little knock in the wrong way to damage them.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I had one before that did the same wouldn't work with one gas canister need screwed on tighter for it to work for me.

Cheers Russ

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I tested a can last year, then took it up Tryfan where we were going to bivvy. Lindal valve failed on the first brew leaving a downclimb in the dark to get a multifuel stove that couldn't fail. I also had 2 of those cheap butane cans fail at the same time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE