Why was the 'Why prepare' thread shut down..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
And you know what ? Neither talks about thermo nuclear war, nuclear winter, fuel wars, catastrophy chaos, zombie politics...........

They do talk about not only surviving in inclement natural environments, but thriving using their knowledge of natural resources though.

Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
In my opinion I think it`s the most informative book Ray`s ever written, and you`re right there`s not a jot about wars or zombie bashing. I suppose it`s the title he chose at the time for what he now describes as bushcraft.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Somehow I doubt that ;)

Too many threads have been of the, "light blue touch paper..." variety recently.

We're all feeling a touch defensive of our usually peaceful haven on the net. It means that any mention of a potentiallly contentious topic is going to get shot down like a dying Meserchmitt until normal service is restored.

Toddy

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
shot down like a dying Meserchmitt

:lmao:;)

Hmmm, wasn't a Messerschmitt a German combat aircraft of WWII, and I thought this wasn't a discussion about that sort of thing, where is that "pulling ones leg" emoticon gone;)

And just noted that this is my number "666" post...:eek:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
<shrugs> Well, I have opened up a whole can of invertebrates, havent I?

Still, its given you lot something to yak about....

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Thanks Scoops and I whole heartedly agree, if people don't like the subject stay out of the thread and if they've got nothing constructive to say, stay out of the thread and let others enjoy it. An excellent rule of thumb for people to use :D

I let my membership lapse because I felt threads were being hijacked by people with nothing to constructive to add.

On the basis of this thread I've just renewed it and look forward to delurking and getting back to being an constructive member. :D

Scoops

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
:lmao:;)

Hmmm, wasn't a Messerschmitt a German combat aircraft of WWII, and I thought this wasn't a discussion about that sort of thing, where is that "pulling ones leg" emoticon gone;)

And just noted that this is my number "666" post...:eek:

Messerschmitt was a company that made aircraft, there were many models starting with the Messerschmitt name.

Blow ups like this last action packed few hours here, happen on most forums, its good from time to time, clears the air.

Moderation here is OK, a bit heavy handed from time to time (as talked about on other forum(s) ), a bit like having a stern auntie looking at your diary, but, at the end of the day, if you start a thread or write a reply you should stand by your word, and those words should be left for a while even if the mods deem them wrong, this lets the writer think on what they have said, time for reflection

Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to like every member here, or agree with the gospel of member xyz who happens to have posted X,000's of posts full of his or her perceived wisdom, its fine to disagree.

If you have a major problem with a member, go PM them before running to the mods

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome back scoops

I think we can all look forward to a nice calm forum now and put all this nonsense behind us.

Red

Erm, other than the throwaway (and clearly tongue in cheek) "zombie" device which serves only as a shorthand stand in for saying "whatever incident you face" - I'm sure noone positively contributing to these threads has mentioned any apocalyptic scenario in a remotely serious way.

Martyn was (I believe) the first to mention nukes when he used nuclear war (specifically the EMP that comes with a nuke) as being about the only thing that's likely to directly damage the data stick he'd suggested for backing up documents. Considering who that came from, it obviously wasn't the paranoid ranting of a bunker-builder.

The only other uses were people saying "we're not talking about nuclear war here". In fact - I don't even recall most contributors talking about war. I can't help thinking that the objection to nuclear paranoia is nothing more than an objection to someone's own stereotyping and not to anything actually mentioned on this forum.

There was discussion about fuel strikes, but that's hardly the same.

On the whole the discussion has been based upon entirely reasonable situations that non-bunker-builders can reasonably expect to face at some point. Power cuts, serious inclement weather, some forms of "natural disaster", and sometimes problems with infrastructure.

I honestly think some people have overreacted to this subject massively.

Considering the threads stayed sensible until a select few people felt the need to "shoot them down [...] until normal service is restored" (not saying Toddy was involved in that - but just quoting what I think was a good turn of phrase) I also think the blame is being incorrectly placed too. Things were fine until people felt the need to start slinging mud and making noise until threads got closed down. It was, in fact, people opposed to the discussion of preparedness or a non-existant paranoia who caused the vast majority of the conflict.
It certainly takes two to tango, but this whole situation has been really very strange.

I can't help thinking that the excellent comments people have made to the effect of "don't get involved in discussions if you have nothing constructive to add" would, if that advice were heeded, have avoided all of the conflict that has arisen in the past few days.

Mods - thanks for doing a great job. I know how tough a job it is to do and how much flak you can sometimes get for doing it - keep up the good work.

Former moderator of a forum with half a million unique hits daily...
BigShot

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I wonder if that's why we sometimes have blow ups like this one; many of the folks here don't bother with any other forums but BB and SoTP.......I know I don't and I frequently struggle for time to read those two. However, if the topics are being discused elsewhere and then brought here half done, and that half done conversation doesn't sit well with the folks here, and the Mods mod accordingly, then the blow ups are simply the result.

So what's been the Suvivalist topic de jour on the other forums ? that the UK has it's head in the sand perchance :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy...........and Oi! I got told at the Moot by several people that I wasn't as fierce as feared :D

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE