Why was the 'Why prepare' thread shut down..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritofold

Banned
May 7, 2004
Winchester
www.spiritofold.co.uk
If this was a full time job then yes I would whole heartedly agree. I'll explain something though, I'm secondary school Science teacher, I work on average between 60-80 hours a week doing my best to be a good teacher, on top of that I help out Tony by moderating and trying to help out here, as well trying to finding time for some R&R.

Matt

I dont envy you with all those kids....

As in the title...
It was a good debate and I get home from work and find it closed with no explanation.. Why....?
Why are so many threads shut down on here when a good debate is going..?
Why do we have to stick to such limited subject matter..?

I don't know; don't understand; and don't mind.

I've been a member a while, but not really participated that much. I'm just enjoying it here and seeing what I can learn. Maybe just because I don't have so much time invested in the forum, it's not a big deal for me whether I can influence forum policy, debate faked moon landings, or subdue people with different opinions.

Come visit a different forum, be a newbie for a while, chat and make friends. Even go and get blasted in Whine and Cheese or Good Bad & the Ugly sections of American forums if you want. It's refreshing, and partly why I'm here.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Well i for one would like to see people post whatevever they would like to post as long as its within the rule's,

I have not read the rules. Never felt the need to. One forum I am on has the best rules I have ever seen and I have read them all. It is simply

The rules of this forum are unwritten, if you don't know what they are this is probably not the forum for you.

and not jumped on immediately by wanabbe moderators,and old members,

Are you suggesting the moderators are wannabees or that the older members are wannabees? Either way this is almost a perfect example of the provocative, insulating argumentative rubbish that I find more and more creeping into BCUK. If you can't be civil then stay away from your keyboard.

I ,am supplying two pigs for our members at the meets and get out and meet people,

And this is the reason why you should be allowed more leeway than members who are not supplying pigs? I said in another thread that the biggest problem is that established members are not being treated the same as a new member would. Perhaps I should have said members supplying pigs are not being treated the same as a newer member would.

I do it not to hide behind a keyboard

That'll be a dig at those who do then :rolleyes:

It is not for me to say what the policy on BCUK should be but the way I treat it is simple. I try to make sure anything I post would not be a problem for my daughter to read over my shoulder and I try to make sure that nothing I post is going to belittle or offend anyone. Of course this is not always possible but if it is your aim you are most of the way there.

This post is probably a breach of my personal rules but I was very tempted to be far far blunter.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
That's how I tend to post as well John. However, to be fair to Bernie Garland, you've posted a pretty personal attack on him - almost as if he's solely at fault for any BCUK misgivings, selecting individual parts of his posts to address and question while he's currently under a yellow card and (I presume) can't respond. I don't think that's fair.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
This is just a personal attack on Bernie who was suspended for exactly the same thing.
Can anybody even spell double standards?

MagiKelly

That's how I tend to post as well John. However, to be fair to Bernie Garland, you've posted a pretty personal attack on him

I did say the post above did not really follow my personal rules ;) It could be classed as a personal attack but at least I am responding to the person and not using phrases like wannabee moderators, older members or those who hide behind a keyboard. I find these phrases personally insulting as I feel they may refer to me. As will others.

I have really tried to stay away from making any post on this despite being very tempted before but the reason I have posted is because if I stay quiet and all those who feel the same as me do the same then our views will not be known. I cannot always allow others to be insulting and prevent myself from replying in case I am seen as being insulting or things will never change.

almost as if he's solely at fault for any BCUK misgivings, selecting individual parts of his posts to address and question

I did not question them. I gave my views on them. Again if those of us with a distaste for rude posts are prevented from commenting due to our own rules nothing will change.

while he's currently under a yellow card and (I presume) can't respond. I don't think that's fair.

I do not know what the yellow card restricts but I am sure he can reply when it expires.

MagiKelly

Can anybody even spell double standards?

Yes :D

And I know phrases like "Sow as you reap", "live by the sword die by the sword" and lots of others.

See how easy it is for this sort of thing to become the swapping of cheeky posts (which is why none should be allowed ;) ).

I'll rest my case for now and go do some work as this is the point where things start getting circular.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Actually sapper I have spoken to Magikelly about this but it has not resorted to name calling which Bernies post did so it doesn't warrant a ban and it is a first offence. Saying that Magikelly is directly addressing comments made by Bernie. If Bernie has a problem with this he will PM and I'll discuss it with him (as I've done in the past) and try and address it.

Now can we get back to the thread please.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Actually sapper I have spoken to Magikelly about this but it has not resorted to name calling which Bernies post did so it doesn't warrant a ban and it is a first offence. Saying that Magikelly is directly addressing comments made by Bernie. If Bernie has a problem with this he will PM and I'll discuss it with him (as I've done in the past) and try and address it.

Now can we get back to the thread please.

I've forgotten what the thread's about.:p

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Actually so had I :D , I think it was down to our moderation and the number of threads had been locked, I'm hoping most issues have been addressed now, hope so anyway.

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
I take it we wont be meeting up for a Drink then John when i'm up your neck of the woods with me canoe.:lmao:

:tapedshut:)

Mike i don't know if its because of my card but i cant send or receive pm's.

Matt Lithrel can you let me know how long this will last please as i have to get in touch with SimonN for his address thanks

Bernie

scanker

Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
So just out of interest (as I'd assumed it had some effect on posting/PMing) does a yellow card have any effect, or is it just a badge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE