Why redundancy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Because you never know. I was out the other day in the Welsh mountains, off the beaten track up a steep slope and I noticed the mist was coming in. I thought I would check if my compass and whistle were there in the pouch on my belt just in case. They were not, the pouch must have got snagged and had unclipped itself from my belt at some point and in that vegetation I would never be able to find it even if I had known where it departed company with me, I certainly did not find it on the way down so all in all I would have been a bit more secure if I had a backup.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Cell coverage can get a bit spotty up there however there are some stand alone GPS & compass applications for smart-phones that do not require a signal to work. Another trick is to add external images to your phones picture gallery such as screenshots of Bing OS maps and aerial photos.

I'm also a great believer in 'Tupperware', it's waterproof, impact resistant, cheap and comes in many sizes making it ideal for keeping electronics safe. Sadly it seldom looks 'cool' or 'tactical'

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Absolutely do not rely on a cell phone, it's battery can be flat never mind signal coverage. The track is visible enough except when the mist falls, that is when a compass and map can make sure you don't go over a vertical edge, and the whistle is to summon help if you do and are still alive enough to blow :) Incidentally it is not hard to fall bottom over tip on a steep slope and land on your mobile phone, I have certainly ruined a compact camera that way before.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I keep mine on a lanyard round my neck and tucked into my shirt or jacket. Can't loose it that way. That's how I was taught to carry a compass when I did my outdoor instructor training. ( Ex military instructor)
I never rely on my phone for navigation. In fact round here it's pretty useless anyway, most of the time there is no signal anywhere.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That's how I was taught to carry a compass when I did my outdoor instructor training. ( Ex military instructor)
That does sound a bit strange as the rifle carried makes the compass half way useless, or maybe he did make the transition to civilian life with fewer rifles (magnetic anomalies).

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I was doing a b tech for outdoor pursuits instructor, so it wasn't a military scenario...just common sense. I've never lost a compass or whistle carried that way. Easy to find in the dark or fog whiteout too.
Sometimes carried a backup in the top pocket of my pack, if i was doing a big trip, but rarely use one nowadays as I stick pretty much to my local area which I know like the back of my hand, and can navigate torchless in pitch black. I keep my hand in on winter nighttime rambles. I do take a walking stick, which I use to check what's around if I'm unsure, and not walk into a ditch or tree.!
Always have a map and two compasses if I'm elsewhere.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
When hillwalking I still from my military career have the whistle and the silva on a boot lace or paracord tied to my coat bottom hole. Or in hot weather tied to my trouser belt. Occasionally around my neck but that’s not my favourite method but very secure.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
My takeaway from Ray Mears' Out on the Land book was to carry a torch, compass, ferro rod and small knife on a lanyard around your neck so you can lose your bag and everything can fall out your pockets but you'll still have a few essentials.

Reactions: Van-Wild

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I keep mine on a lanyard round my neck and tucked into my shirt or jacket. Can't loose it that way. That's how I was taught to carry a compass when I did my outdoor instructor training. ( Ex military instructor)
I never rely on my phone for navigation. In fact round here it's pretty useless anyway, most of the time there is no signal anywhere.
My compass goes around my neck, attached to the map (not a full size map but a printed off A4 double sided one, in a map case). I keep both together. Other times I've tied the compass to the inside of a jacket pocket, or on a thin bungee around my wrist, tucked up my sleeve for a quick bearing check when required.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
All good input, but do master map reading, which in some cases obviates compass use NB some
True. But I still wouldn't be without a compass.

Regarding the OP about redundancy, I carry no less than three forms of navigation when I'm in the hills, in order of use:

1. OS map app on my phone. (Pre-plotted routes, live location and direction, distance, elevation)

2. Map and compass. As secondary navigation, but also as redundancy if my phone goes down (never has. GPS works without data). I also navigate some legs of the route by map and compass to keep the skill alive.

3. Garmin 401 gps. For a live 10fig GR, secondary route plotting if the phone goes down.

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
I tend to have the basic bits on lanyards in shirt chest pockets or hip pockets if it’s hot. They live there all the time.

I do appreciate the improvements in led and battery technology.
You can have a tiny pocket head lamp now that is brighter and longer running than what would have been the main one a few years ago.
My head torch is used nearly as much as my SAK. Usually when I go “where did that thing go?”. Obviously stuff wonders away, I never put it down and forget!

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
All good input, but do master map reading, which in some cases obviates compass use NB some
How does that work in poor visibility. You need a compass to orient the map and then take a bearing to the point you cannot see. Compass also keeps you from walking round in circles in the fog.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE