Why was the 'Why prepare' thread shut down..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
As in the title...
It was a good debate and I get home from work and find it closed with no explanation.. Why....?
Why are so many threads shut down on here when a good debate is going..?
Why do we have to stick to such limited subject matter..?
We are encouraged to use the search facility where just about every part of bushcraft has already been talked about, so anything new is not new really, its already been talked over many times.
I love this site, but I am so frustrated by people not being able to express themselves without their voice being closed down. Good debate is healthy and so is arguing sometimes. Its also not a bad thing to go off topic. It seems ok for some on here to go off topic, but bad for others and they get told off and the thread is closed...
Is BCUK all about getting new members in and not caring a toss about the old members.. It does seem that way because I have seen so many old members leave the site and because of this we are losing a lot of experenced people..

Let me finish by quoting something what Martyn (an ex moderator on here) recently said...

"So what rights do you have on here? Well, you have the right to log out and go somewhere else. Beyond that, not much really, you see you are riding in Tony's car. It's not a democracy and you dont get a say. If you want the ride, you have to live with that - we all do"

Is that really the case Tony..?

I do not want to stir it all up or be a troll or whatever... I just want to enjoy this site and chat freely with those on here...
I am not saying that we should allow anything goes on here. It is a family site and I agree with that, but come on guys, let people have their say...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thing is, this is a family site, and people have been banned for talking grown up stuff, we must not argue, but can talk about stockpiling food, weapons and preparing to defend ourselves, the kids can read that by the looks of things :rolleyes:

The heavy handed moderation here is talked about on other forums, so we have two choices, put or with it, or leave, I'm mulling over these options just now

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Well said JonnyP, I have been posting a bit today but do so less and less these days. I don't fancy your chances at keeping this one open for long though :rolleyes:.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Did not read it but it is a 'personally run' site so we either follow the rules or not. Hmm was saying that all day at school.

A few 'survivlalist' things were banned previously, so politics ?

Happy Posting

Nick

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmmm me too Rik

I can understand how hard the mods job is, although I must confess sadness at the behaviour of certain "older" members who appear to only ever post these days to antagonise, insult and stir things . This actually causes these threads to become far more heated than they would otherwise. Such behaviour would be considered "trolling" in others. It would be more palatable if those who attempt to foment trouble were treated the same way as those they bait into stepping over a line.

Red

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Mmmm me too Rik

I can understand how hard the mods job is, although I must confess sadness at the behaviour of certain "older" members who appear to only ever post these days to antagonise, insult and stir things . This actually causes these threads to become far more heated than they would otherwise. Such behaviour would be considered "trolling" in others. It would be more palatable if those who attempt to foment trouble were treated the same way as those they bait into stepping over a line.

Red

Never a truer word said:)

Bernie

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
Thing is, this is a family site, and people have been banned for talking grown up stuff, we must not argue, but can talk about stockpiling food, weapons and preparing to defend ourselves, the kids can read that by the looks of things :rolleyes:

I am lucky then that my kids are busy on the play station killing people from a C130. I wouldn't want them badly influenced :D

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Maybe someone could open the thread then post an explaination etc then re-lock it. So we all know what was wrong eg what rules were broken.

Moderation is never easy, never straightforward and people always complain about them, just like referees.

For such a busy forum it seems pretty mellow and free, irepsective of moderation. Mods are doing the work for free so keep up the work mods.

Nick

EDIT - just re-read the rules here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_rules_usage

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Maybe someone could open the thread then post an explaination etc then re-lock it. So we all know what was wrong eg what rules were broken.

Moderation is never easy, never straightforward and people always complain about them, just like referees.

For such a busy forum it seems pretty mellow and free, irepsective of moderation. Mods are doing the work for free so keep up the work mods.

Nick

EDIT - just re-read the rules here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_rules_usage

The thread was really just a bit of survivalist stuff and a bit of banter, earlier in the day the sorcerers apprentice had something to say and was shut up,but sat by his keyboard patiently, for his master to finish putting plasters on people and join him here,and when he was joined by his master,proceeded to offend and wind everyone up.

Bernie

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...

Nick

I agree... Two of the mods on here I consider friends and I know modding is a thankless task and I am real sorry for bringing this all up and making more hassle for them. Its just I am so frustrated with a lot of things on here that I felt I just had to say something. So many of my mates I have met on here have all but gone..
A couple of years ago it all kicked off on here because of threads being closed etc. The moderators at the time were leaving explanations as to why the thread was shut down, but only the mods could read what they had written. For some reason their explanations were not going up on the site (though they thought it was) and it caused problems until this was realised...(remember that Stuart..?) Its like this again and it feels to me like one rule for some but not for others..

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ok I've reopened the thread, I'll admit I skimmed that one and as soon as it looked like it was turning into a slagging match I locked it before reading the last few that seemed to calm down.

We're not here to fire fight arguments all the time which is what the last few weeks have been about, we also don't want the forums to turn into a survivalist forum, there are enough of them out there already.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Sorry was that aimed at me, apologies if it wasn't as I'm quite tired from dealing with arguments from teenagers at school all day but I shut the last thread down so are you saying I was trolling?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Maybe a word in the ear of the protagonists who consistently bring about these bad feelings would be more productive than spreading general agitation with threats, bans and lock-downs. They're pretty easily identified......:27:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ok I've reopened the thread, I'll admit I skimmed that one and as soon as it looked like it was turning into a slagging match I locked it before reading the last few that seemed to calm down.

We're not here to fire fight arguments all the time which is what the last few weeks have been about, we also don't want the forums to turn into a survivalist forum, there are enough of them out there already.

Thank you Lithril... I do not want slagging matches either, just open and healthy debate between forum members who should be adult enough to know about this being a family forum. Talk is good...

You also bring up something else there... Survival... Last weekend I attended a very good survival course run by Footsteps Of Discovery here in Cornwall. I am very interested in survival matters. I am not a member on any survivalist forum and I am not into the end of the world is about to happen stuff. I am just interested in how to survive if in a situation which could be life threatening and I would like to be able to discuss all that on here in the forum "bushcraft and survival skills". I think there is a line somewhere and I do not know where it is, but I am not, nor wish to be a survivalist, but I am interested in the subject..
Do you know where line line should be drawn..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE