Why Ray mears should be knighted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Does Ray Mears deserve a State award ?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fantastic, well done to her! I totally agree. In his early days I was never a great fan of Ray, his arrogance, cockyness and shrewdness was offputting. I'm also a great believer in that people have a huge capacity for change and grow; I'm also sure that he has done so and this shines through his later productions when we see a less cocky a calmer and dare I say more humble and very much more pleasant side to the man. I look forward to seeing this.

Being in front of the squak box doesn't merit a knighthood, neither does his limited contribution to science (I can think of more deserving researchers). I don't know what he contributes towards the tribal people he uses in his productions or if they understand fully the implications of being used in this way (like many other squak box show hosts do anyway but I doubt they understand it, some look positively pee'd off), so I'm not convinced on that one. But to be fair he's done a pretty good job and probably reaches more young people and done this better than many schools regarding having a positive relationship and pride with our natural heritage and our countryside. That's getting to be worth a knighthood so yes on that, and I'm sure that man would agree that this is his greatest work.

The honours system, is not all about "one for the boys" It's just the little people never make it to the news. Great work is done by millions of people and sometimes it is recognised and rewarded, how do I know? My sister is off to the palace today to get her MBE for her work, within the social services, and for her nearly 40 years of working for the St John ambulance organisation .

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I'd give him a knighthood just to see him turn up at Buck House in a Swannie!

TBH - He is more deserving than many who do get the highest honours.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I reckon the Royals will like Ray. He is, after all, if indirectly the foremost public figure of the green/respect for nature movement in this country. This country being the leader in green soloutions in the world and the royal family being the biggest promoters of greeniness anywhere bar none.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Queen has already considered a knighthood.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
This country being the leader in green soloutions in the world

BP_Logo_color.jpg

Howzat for greenliness? :lmao:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I reckon the Royals will like Ray. He is, after all, if indirectly the foremost public figure of the green/respect for nature movement in this country. This country being the leader in green soloutions in the world and the royal family being the biggest promoters of greeniness anywhere bar none.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Queen has already considered a knighthood.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :You_Rock_ :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm :yelrotflm it was a joke right

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
As always there are two sides to ever coin and not all of us have experienced the soft and fluffy side . In my experience he like all TV folk ,only does things which benifit him or the furthernce of his machine / ego.
Good luck to him . But our lollipop lady deserves one more. In fact there are many more deserving folk on this site. In my view to deserve a state award one must really put ones self out not just get paid for it.

I get what you are saying, and you're probably right but it upsets me that people think like this...............some people are just genuine people, they don't have "Another side" which is a money grabbing monster, and I think ray is one of those people!

.........................................................................................................................

Did anyone else see bushcraft series 1 , in the hadza (?) camp, they show'd him so much appreciation that he was crying, he REALLY cares about these people, and REALLY does want these people to survive and prosper...........................

either that or he deserves an oscar for his acting!!

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Although I voted for him, I don't think he's a fighter. He doesn't comment on the restrictions on "wild-camping" in england and he's been very silent about the knife laws.

Keeps his head down and is very much on message with the powerful: dutifully reminding us of the laws but never speaking out about basic freedoms or what should be basic freedoms.

I wouldn't rely upon him in any way to speak up. But nevertheless, I voted for him to get an honour simply for making bushcraft known to a wider public and because many far less worthy people get honours.

I think though he should use his fame to get involved in community and charity projects to get our kids off the streets and into the woods and fields. They are the future and also we wouldn't have any excuse for knife laws if, as in more natural societies, we took an interest in our youth and offered them challenges and excitement, instead of them being left to their own devices on the streets.

Yup, I can't change my vote now, but I think he needs to do a bit more "off screen" work to earn an honour - and in the UK, not in Australia, Canada etc.!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I think though he should use his fame to get involved in community and charity projects to get our kids off the streets and into the woods and fields. They are the future and also we wouldn't have any excuse for knife laws if, as in more natural societies, we took an interest in our youth and offered them challenges and excitement, instead of them being left to their own devices on the streets.

I did here him getting interviewed on the radio a while back about his work with disadvantaged youngsters. I don't know how much he does but I'm pretty shore he does do some.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
Wilderbeast.

My comments come from actual personal experience over a period of years.
But they are my experiences, other peoples may not reflect them and thats fine.
I will not expand on them further because that would not be fair.
I probably owe him at least a drink or two as do a few others, because hisTV programmes have definatly increased interest and that helps me pay the bills ,as I said good luck to him.
As I stated in my view to be eligible for a honour / award you should be giving of yourself for no reward if you get paid to do it then it doesnt count.
All I ask is that people make their judgements etc on actual fact or experience not on edited media info. (ie it takes at least 3 weeks of filming to make a hour documentry)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
My personal opinion is that Ray is a far better role model for the younger generation than the foul mouthed and aggressively behaved people who have received honours in the past.
In a time when politicians are so blinded by press reports that they assume anyone who carries a knife is a mass murderer we have a man who is rarely seen on camera without a sheath knife on his hip or in his hand, who has he harmed? No-one.
He always gets a fire going at camp, how many forests has he set alight? None.
He sleeps under a tarp or makeshift shelter, how many jungles has he de-forested? None.
If his profile was enhanced a little by a state award perhaps we lesser mortals may find it just a bit easier to enjoy the outdoors, in the thoughtful and caring manner we would love.

A selfish,hopeful or daydream of a thought? I hope not.

Maybe the beverage was poured into the wrong sized Kuksa! :D

ManOtheWoods

Jan 25, 2008
Winchester
I personally am in the yes camp and I put to those in the 'no', What else would you have Mr Mears do? What in your opinion would make him worthy of a knighthood? Once you have done this, compare those that already have a knighthood to your list and see how they compare, take George Best for example, great footballer, great drinker, great user of other peoples livers, great knight! Since Ray Mears has come on the scene there are a lot more people intersted in the outdoors and primitive living, I feel he has help to foster a deeper understanding and respect for those who still use the old ways to get by and for the environment in general, making us aware of the invaluable resources that nature has to offer and how we destroying it all.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Wilderbeast.

My comments come from actual personal experience over a period of years.
But they are my experiences, other peoples may not reflect them and thats fine.
I will not expand on them further because that would not be fair.
I probably owe him at least a drink or two as do a few others, because hisTV programmes have definatly increased interest and that helps me pay the bills ,as I said good luck to him.
As I stated in my view to be eligible for a honour / award you should be giving of yourself for no reward if you get paid to do it then it doesnt count.
All I ask is that people make their judgements etc on actual fact or experience not on edited media info. (ie it takes at least 3 weeks of filming to make a hour documentry)

sorry mate, it sounds like i'm having a go but I'm really not!! You are probably far better placed to comment than me........on my part it's probably just hidden frustration from never having met the man, which I would really want to!!

And you are deffo entitled to your opinion, it's probably more valid than mine!!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I voted no.I can't see that he's done any form of public service that would warrant it .Yes we all know him and what he does,but (and I may be wrong) I can't recall any charitable work that he has done.

swamp donkey

Forager
Jun 25, 2005
uk
No Wilderbeast nothing I say or do is more valid than anything you do or say.

Go out ,gain your own experiences both good and bad they all count, but please dont waste your time (our money) with hero worship.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Probably a spelling error mate.

gotcha!!

And plese don't worry (not you sapper!),

I don't spend all my time,(or money----what money?!) worshipping Ray mears, I'm far too busy for that!! The only reason I brought it up was because I thought he deserved a little recognition for some of the work he does, but as some have said I have only seen the media side of the man................anyway this is a massive distraction from statistics revision so i'll shut up now!! :Thinkingo

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
The honours system, is not all about "one for the boys" It's just the little people never make it to the news. Great work is done by millions of people and sometimes it is recognised and rewarded, how do I know? My sister is off to the palace today to get her MBE for her work, within the social services, and for her nearly 40 years of working for the St John ambulance organisation .

congratulations to her! My mates dad got one for working with kids who were comming out of prison, he said the ceremony was really exciting!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE