Why Ray mears should be knighted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Does Ray Mears deserve a State award ?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Harry, I personally know two Americans who bought their families to the UK on holiday and the prime motive was to see Buckingham Palace etc, the Royal family is a big draw for tourists.

I am a royalist, I think the Royal family are a wonderful (if powerless) symbol for the UK and long may they remain so, they are a great peice of continuity for this country and its history. Prime Ministers come and go, the Royal Family remain.

The one has nothing to do with the other - preferring to have a monarchy is one thing - regarding her as a tourist attraction is another.

And you stated that the two American wanted to see Buckingham Palace - well people want to see Versailles, but the monarchy there is long gone.

I think the monarchy is good - but not out of, what seems to me, cringing, sentimental reasons.

I think also our monarchy should be able to speak out freely in a non-partisan manner which she can't do at the moment.

However, a country can have a monarch and still have republican values - which are those of citizenry rather than being subjects. And I think a national anthem should be about a country and its people rather than one person.

Prime Ministers come and go, the Royal Family remain.

Perhaps you should re-read your history and your Shakespeare. :)

It is the state which is constant, not the monarchy. But even more constant than the state are the people and their traditions.

I find the Americans far higher than ours, because we are not allowed to have values in this country - there is nowhere in our state where values are mentioned.

The words "We hold the following to be true...." meant a great leap forward in humanity. Bad things have happened in our country because we have no values. On our war memorials we write "Lest we forget". Alas - we have forgotten so much and even more so many people don't even know.

You say Prime Misters go - of course they do, because "leaders" are fall guys. The party loses the election, the leader goes, but the party continues. But it was the party which decided the policies of the government - the PM is just the fall guy - the symbol.

The monarch has no power - of course not - what was really going on when Edward VIIIth resigned? Do you really accept that he had to resign because he wanted to marry a divorced woman? Shame on you if you do.

The power in the country is an elite - it is called the establishment and some of them are not even British.

If a person says that they are "Royalist" that does not mean that they are patriotic. In the French revolution, was the king being patriotic, when, it was agreed that France would have a monarchy, but then he ran off to join an invading army of Austrians? No, He was a traitor.

Sorry - once again we are way off topic.

BTW. The idea of awards having something to do with the monarchy is incorrect. Republics have, of course, also awards.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Here we go off topic again. Ray mears should be honoured, many of you have your own ideas as to why he shouldnt, but wether you like to admit it or not he has done more for bushcraft than any other in uk, and wether you like to admit it or not a hell of a lot of you are into bushcraft because of him even you so called armchair bushcrafters who spend more tie on the internet than in the field, you know who you are!

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Here we go off topic again.

Yes, that's what I said. But maybe I'm wrong. Ray Mears was criticised for not standing up for certain issues which affect bushcrafters. It has now been mentioned that as a civilian, he has been helping train certain military personnel, which I would assume to be special operations personnel rather than any sort of regular personnel. We are talking about supporting on a voluntary or monetary basis one of the most shameful episodes in our history since Munich where our country has become one of the two greatest mass killers of the 21stC and has in the opinion of many people in this country and even more abroad committed at least a war crime.

Ray mears should be honoured, many of you have your own ideas as to why he shouldnt, but wether you like to admit it or not he has done more for bushcraft than any other in uk,

Are you sure about that? He got to make some programmes for the BBC. Decisive was that the BBC chose him and not someone else. But when we talk about people "doing something for others or something" we usually mean that in the sense of self-sacrifice in some way - not because it was their business and their way of earning a living. Roger Moore now works for UNICEF, helping children by acting as an ambassador at large for UNICEF. He gets no wage for that at all. He is "doing something for people" - he isn't doing it because it is a moneyspinner.

and wether you like to admit it or not a hell of a lot of you are into bushcraft because of him
I'm not sure about that - you'd have to have an interest in bushcraft in the first place in order to watch his programmes.

One is more likely to have developed an interest in bushcraft through one's personal surroundings, family, a friend or watching some films - maybe Rambo or something like that? Perhaps Sylvester Stallone should get some sort of award?

even you so called armchair bushcrafters who spend more tie on the internet than in the field, you know who you are!

Go for the ball, not for the players.

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Your problem with your country is just that your problem im not really interested.
Roger moore has earned his money, making movies in that time anything he did wether charity or not he got paid. Ray mears has brought more youngsters into the outdoors than any other i know inspiring them to do things for themselves rather than following the crowd into trouble. So what he gets paid big deal he deserves it. He should still be honoured. As for having to be into bushcraft before you watch him, thats just rubbish. I can name at least a dozen people who were never into bush craft until they saw ray on country tracks and even more who had never heard of bushcraft until they saw ultimate survival. If you think ONE is more likely to develop an interest in bushcraft when ONE watches Rambo you obviously need to go away and think that answer through again or better still go onto wikipedia im sure it will help you come up with a reply!
No i prefer to go for the players thanks very much i get more satisfaction that way.

Post edited in response to above editing.

As for whether Ray Mears should be Knighted or not, Some of the reasons are very amusing. The best one being that he shouldn't, because he doesn't go to BCUK moots.......................That one is a classic. I can see poor old Ray, in his old age, thinking to himself "Damn, I could have been a Knight, if ONLY I'd gone to a BCUK moot" Lol

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Edited in response to the above editing

Celt ginger we are on the same wave length mate, what interest would a BCUK moot be to someone with the widely travelled knowledge and experience which ray Mears has, although he would be much better off coming to a NIBA or BCL meet he wouldnt want to mis one of those.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Edited in response to the above editing.

I have been interested for decades in what people call now call "bushcraft" - I have lived in countries where it has tradition.

I liked RM's early programmes. But I think to compare him to Baden-Powell etc. is over the top.

And that is the second self ambush - not you, of course, but from the original poster. We could all like or dislike RM as we pleased, but when someone is suggesting awarding him a very high honour, then we have to start to be more critical, don't we? And so we start looking for flaws, asking ourselves "is he really all that people make him out to be?" In truth, the original poster when he started this thread wasn't doing RM a favour - he was setting up, unwittingly, RM as a target.

I think this thread - or another thread perhaps, would be positive if we examined the history of scouting, hunting etc. in the media. There is a thread about a canadian documentary on survival made in the 1950's (I think). Did the BBC do any such programmes or was RM's series the first series ever to appear on UK TV or radio?

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
My vote is yes

But a few comments on previous posts-

Good point about what is yet to come from him - the Order of the British Empire has several tiers of award and a recipient of the lowest rank may be advanced to the top as a continious process so perhaps this is a suitable target.

I you know of somebody who is deserving of a public recognition award then stop moaning about it and put them up for one - it isnt hard and it does work.

The Knighthood system form the early middle ages, was always designed to advance the rich and famous - the poor and downtrodden, regardless of how deserving, almost never saw advancement - nothing new there - and if some rich successful businessman got one for just getting richer and fatter then why not Ray for actually doing something more worthwhile than kicking a plastic ball around.

I do get narked at people saying that he is grasping or whatever. when I looked around for a gransfors axe his prices were about the same as any commercial retailer outlet and cheaper than some. His expeditions are really no more expensive than any (and Im told a lot better organised than some).

The man is not a millionaire yet - and if he does become one hes done it on his own back and not on the results of others hard work & sacrifice.

He does his own research for his TV shows.

What has his build got to do with anything? he only works in the outdoors! he lives in a house in Surrey. Are there really no other overweight posters out there (dont answer - I go to the bushmoot too!)

The Royal Family is the only thing that stops us from being French!! - does anybody seriously want Gordon Brown as the representitive Head of the British Nation???

Just my 2d worth

cheers
Nick

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Und your point Iss?

No point:) 'twas a joke.

EDIT: if you want to be serious though: Georges I,II and III were all both British kings and heads of state of Hanover in Germany. This stopped, I believe with Queen Anne because the Hanoveran constitution did not allow a female head of state. Apparently George I did not speak english very well. Also, it was because of George III connections among German aristocracy that he was able to get German mercenaries to fight in the American War of Independence. The Kaiser was, of course, George Vth cousin and George wrote him a letter at the beginning of WWI regretting that they should be at war. George V, Kaiser Wilhem II of Germany and Czar Nicholas II of Russia were all cousins - but we all know that don't we?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE