National Nestbox Week - to do or not to do ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, it's National Nestbox Week and many people will be putting up new or replacing old nestboxes in their gardens and other places. However, is it really a good thing to do? There is some discussion in the habitats and species circles that suggest it is not entirely beneficial and that, if you do, you should consider some mitigation.

So, why can't it be good? Mainly for the same reason that feeding in winter has a downside. By putting up nest boxes we are making life easy for some species that compete for the same food resources and nest sites later in the year that have not had that 'support'. So our blue tit and great tit populations are doing really well but they occupy these lovely nesting sites well before the pied flycatchers and redstarts arrive. If the tit population wasn't so well fed in winter there would be fewer of them and competition would be more even.

There are many other species that compete for all those insect grubs in the nesting season including spotted flycatchers, garden warblers, chiffchaffs, blackcaps... the list goes on.

Yet, with loss of old trees and a general attitude to 'over-tidiness' there is a shortage of nest sites anyway. So what can we do? As far as feeding goes I'm not going to suggest you stop but I think we should be aware of the downside as well and consider if we can mitigate in any way. For nest boxes, consider putting new ones up later - late March, early April when the flycatchers are arriving. Or block up some and open them up in time for the tourists. Even a few open nest boxes (used by spotted flycatchers for example) could be kept vacant from robins by blocking them off.

I know some of you will disagree totally but, I hope, I have at least made you think about it :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I think it’s a good thing to do. Sure they will be taken over by the tits etc. But as they’re easy pickings they will go for those over natural sites. Those freeing those up for the later arrivals.

Lack of natural nesting sites is a massive problem.

Reactions: Nice65

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's about mitigation at this stage.
Our overpopulation isn't going to solve overnight (and without getting political our country's attraction to other folks just keeps the numbers up even when the natives do try to restrict their family sizes) and that population needs food, housing, etc.,

If encouraging them to put up nest boxes makes them aware of the lack of natural sites, and maybe stirs them up to help in other ways too, then, while Broch makes valid points, on the whole I think it's a good thing.

I have to admit I don't think I've ever seen a flycatcher around here though. Swallows and Martins make very different nests when they arrive. No shortage of eaves for them. Robins, wrens, blackbirds, thrushes, tits, siskins, and the like; those are the common little birds that we see all year round. Those are the birds that are predated all year long by domestic cats, dogs (and yes, dogs do catch birds) and the sparrowhawks, kestrels, etc.,
I admit I feed the little ones. I reckon it helps balance things out a bit. But then, I live in what is now suburbia, even if I do have woodlands at my back gate. Countryside with few and spaced out dwellings is another thing entirely.

M

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
We feed year round, and have a healthy songbird population in our garden year round too. That’s the way we like it. There is some predation by sparrowhawks and the like, but that would go on in any case and its lovely to see and hear all of the species which we’re lucky enough to enjoy. I also make a few nest boxes a year; one or two for our garden (although I would say we’re at capacity!), and some for neighbours. This year I’m even making a pair of boxes for our village ‘auction of promises’.

Although I can see that there might be some competition for nesting places for migratory birds, I think that by providing more man-made sites as we do will help alleviate that pressure in a small way.

The only thing I’d like to improve is the housing for our local greater spotted woodpeckers - another predator of songbird fledglings. At the moment we have two pairs nesting in our power pole……….I made a nest box suitable for the woodpeckers, but a pair of starlings have taken it this year. Does anyone have a plan for a woodpecker nest box which is successful?

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I made a bunch of nest boxes a few years ago, most have been used each year, different types and sized openings, this year we have had a green woodpecker and a great spotted looking at a box i put up in the bottom corner, quite a large, tall one with a large opening, i will be keeping an eye on it, the wife feeds all year round with feeders, we have a sparrow hawk visit regular that keeps the pigeons worried, we get a lot of corvids and gulls due to neighbours throwing bread on their lawns, I spend a fair amount of time trying to photograph fledglings but haven't got a photo i am 100% happy with yet.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Got a few bits of wood in the back of my van cut to size to knock up a batbox and will nail it together next time I have my brad gun out.
Will likely cut a few more out and guerrilla hang em up with my granddaughter.

Reactions: bobnewboy

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
They touched on this subject a few weeks ago on winterwatch, I thought it was interesting and I can see the point about the migratory birds.

However, the experience I’ve had with my own garden is that when we first moved in there were house sparrows everywhere and nothing else at all.

Their numbers have dwindled slightly since we did our gutters and the neighbours did the same, but I will get to the main point…

Since I started feeding last year, I’ve seen a whole number of species in the garden that never visited before. Wether it’s a result of less house sparrows, or more bird feed, I’m not entirely certain but I’m inclined to say it’s due to the feed being an attractant.

Reactions: wookii

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It’s an interesting thought that I was not aware of before and I expect it would be the same for the majority of people.

However, I think on balance I would rather see people putting a nest box up than not.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it would be better if folks were directly involved. In both the construction and learning appropriately about siting, actual bird needs, etc., than having the boxes just handed to them on a plate.

It's like the numpty that took hedgehogs to the Western Isles and released them. They're not native there, the indigenous bird life had no protection against their predation, but, "They're hedgehogs, everybody loves hedgehogs".....:rolleyes:
Well, yes, we do like hedgehogs, where they're part of the eco-system and not wiping out ground nesting species.

Broch's point was well made, and though most of us are happy to feed /house the birds, hopefully we're doing it with some awareness.

I have to add to my earlier list of birds I feed. There are two woodpeckers furiously attacking the fat balls right now :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Ah, but, Barn Owls are the most successful owl in the world, present on every continent. We are at their Northern limit so they don't really belong here. I used to be part of a barn owl conservation group until I realised my efforts were misplaced - I now concentrate on habitat generation and maintenance :)

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Ah, but, Barn Owls are the most successful owl in the world, present on every continent. We are at their Northern limit so they don't really belong here. I used to be part of a barn owl conservation group until I realised my efforts were misplaced - I now concentrate on habitat generation and maintenance :)

They’re not in Antarctica ;)

I get what your saying though, but of the other 4 species resident in the uk I would definitely like to see more room made for their protection. Since moving to snowdonia I've still yet to see (or more commonly hear) a little owl. Although interestingly enough a snowy owl has overwintered on a local llyn the last 2 winters.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
True - should have said "all suitable continents" :)

But little owls are not native; they were introduce in the 19th century (but I do love them) and, you're right, numbers are down. There's no shortage of tawnies here, but they and short-eared owls are on the amber list; long-eared are on the green list. They are all protected.

However, instead of concentrating on species, we need to concentrated on connected habitats - the species will then manage.

In the UK (and probably elsewhere) we have a habit of concentrating on the 'pretty' species. But if we concentrated on the soil, fungus, detritus, invertebrates, meadows, wetlands, scrubland, trees - all the higher order species that should be here are likely to survive.

We have to change farming practices; the chemical and 'efficient' farming has killed our countryside :(

I'll get off my soapbox now :)

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Once upon a time I used to be a keen bird feeder with a couple of nest boxes up.
But I became aware of the negatives of these and so, fighting all my instincts, we stopped feeding and putting boxes up.
Although I am against feeders and boxes, I just don't have it in me to criticise anyone who does do it.
As others have rightly said, we should focus our efforts on increasing natural environments for all our wildlife. That's the way to go.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think with our present overcrowded, overly man-used islands, we really need to do both though.
If we don't step in, if we don't help, then populations crash so quickly that getting any real genetic diversity back is something of a manipulated endeavour.....see zoos, etc., and wildcats, ospreys and the like.

Reactions: swyn and FerlasDave

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I think with our present overcrowded, overly man-used islands, we really need to do both though.
If we don't step in, if we don't help, then populations crash so quickly that getting any real genetic diversity back is something of a manipulated endeavour.....see zoos, etc., and wildcats, ospreys and the like.

I agree, but we need to work out the negatives for every action we take; there are very few things we do that does not have a knock on effect - perhaps to a minute species we didn't even realise was there but is important in the chain.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE