Why Ray mears should be knighted

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Does Ray Mears deserve a State award ?

• Yes

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • No

Votes: 25 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think Badon Powell did more for Bushcraft.

Unfortunatley hes so unpopular in some circles...possibly due to the double barreled name.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
No point:) 'twas a joke.

EDIT: if you want to be serious though: Georges I,II and III were all both British kings and heads of state of Hanover in Germany. This stopped, I believe with Queen Anne because the Hanoveran constitution did not allow a female head of state. Apparently George I did not speak english very well. Also, it was because of George III connections among German aristocracy that he was able to get German mercenaries to fight in the American War of Independence. The Kaiser was, of course, George Vth cousin and George wrote him a letter at the beginning of WWI regretting that they should be at war. George V, Kaiser Wilhem II of Germany and Czar Nicholas II of Russia were all cousins - but we all know that don't we?

True - but the queens husband is a Greek King (by inheritance), her father, grandfathers, grandmothers, and mother were english (with some scots & welsh) her great great great grandfather was polish-romanian etc where do you stop? Henry V fought a war because he thought he was a duke of Normandy & Aquitaine and in 1100 AD the same man that ruled Britain as king also ruled half of france as a subject. The deal really is what is not what was For my money the Queen is what she does and the dedication she makes to the country as a whole (including, I believe, the things that she DOESNT do even though she may want to, because to do so would be wrong for the country for her to do. And the same for ALL of the rest of her family)

cheers
Nick

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think that some of our newer members may want to familiarize themselves with the forum rules and regulations...

"negative comments about people, especially bushcraft teachers and personalities...This must stop...Do not make comments of a personal nature about anyone...Do not make negative remarks, participate in gossip or hearsay on this forum in reference to any persons."

"If you feel the need to do so, do it somewhere else. If you cannot resist doing it on this forum you will be banned."

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I would like to thank most of you for your courtesy, it is much appreciated,

Those who have attempted to drag the thread off topic or engaged in offensive and slanderous statements really ought to know better.

No politics, no religion, no personal comments.

Toddy

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Edited in response to above editing.

My apologies Wildebeast, for your thread being hijacked mate was never my intention but had to get it out. This forum (BCUK) is so full of this type of nonsense lately i just had to say something, and unfortunately it was on your thread. Dont get it locked however as i wont be replying again.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
I would like to thank most of you for your courtesy, it is much appreciated,

Those who have attempted to drag the thread off topic or engaged in offensive and slanderous statements really ought to know better.

No politics, no religion, no personal comments.

Toddy

My apologies to everyone. My weakness is politics - I should stay clear of it. I'm sorry for, more than once, going off-topic into politics. I assure you won't hear anymore from me about politics. But I did not attack anyone - except, as stated above, where one person attacked me. But I suppose I provoked that myself through going off topic into politics.

Again, I apologise.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From a purely practical point of view........knighthood is not just conferred upon a person, but is directly related to some interest, skill, knowledge, good works that the person has undertaken or enhanced in some way.

Basically, if someone is knighted for services to.....say working towards the understanding and cure of a disease, then the fundraisers and special interest groups associated with that disease find themselves with a titled personality who is the public face / personality associated with them in the news, public relations, and the like.

A person of influence in other words.

Someone who's views might be consulted before committees assessing and evaluating new laws or access guidelines, for instance.

If the footballers and racing car folks can have a knight or two :rolleyes: , tell me why we can't ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. this all presupposes that RM would say yes, frankly there are other personalities I'd much rather not even be considered.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
If scum bag bankers that nearly bankrupt international banks can get them, then RM could get one for his services to this industry ;)

And yes bushcraft is a UK industry and it would be really interesting to see how much revenue came into the UK PLC GDP from sales of training, services, equipment, tourism and media/arts, etc from bushcraft. Discuss :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE