Who Cant STAND It????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I know how you feel. I spend most of my life stuck in an office with just the thought of my next trip to the woods to keep me going. I always thought that feeling of my life is rubbish, i hate work and all I've got to keep me going is my trip to the woods for a few days even though that's months away was just me. So it is comforting in a way to know so many others feel the same.

Get out there today lannyman, enjoy it and forget all about the bad side of life, that's what myself and loads of others will be doing.

Good luck mate.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
NOPE!

Not for me anymore!!

Been there, done that and was sick 'n tired of it all!! And still am, but...

I've been laid off, my wife quit het job after 17 years, we will be leaving this country in 4 weeks, heading for a completely new future way up north.
There will still be some ratracing I suppose, but the pace of life is a lot slower then here..

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
thats bad news chris but i was in the same situation 6 years ago and got made redundent thought that was it,panic set in but went for a job that i never thought i would get on got it.still get the same rubbish work my socks off but another bloke just got promoted and he was lucky if he did 4 hours a day just cause he's done a course! but on the plus side i work on my own with no boss watching over me and i finnish 10am on friday for the weekend.
enjoy your few days away it'll clear your head and look at like a new oppertunitie to do something you want to do in life

andy

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I would echo BRed's remarks. I've spent half my working life as an employee and the latter half working for myself. Its no bed of roses but I have found that it suits me better. The crucial thing, imho, is learning to deal with the uncertainty of a life without employment contracts, sick pay, paid holidays etc. If you can do that you're half way there.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Many years ago, I was in a similar frame of mind. Then a guy I played rugby with (a priest as it happens, though you'd never guess it from his behaviour on the pitch, or bar afterwards!) sold me a ticket to a charity fair being held. I went along after a bit of persuasion, and found that it was in fact being held by and on behalf of a charity for the seriously mentally and physically handicapped. Despite their handicaps, these were the happiest and friendliest bunch of people I'd ever met. It left me feeling both ashamed and impressed; ashamed at me feeling so sorry for myself despite being healthy and working and with a good bunch of friends, and hugely impressed at their positive approach to life despite difficulties that I could barely imagine.

I still occasionally let something or someone "get to me", but invariably my mind flicks back to that fair, and I think "what have you really got to bitch about, honestly?" Sometimes bits of life suck. Fact. If you can do something to change the annoyance then do so - if you can't, don't let it get to you and enjoy the things that really matter - family, friends, health, your hobbies. After all, none of it will matter in a hundred years' time:)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I work for myself. Its no bed of roses there either. Sick? No Pay. Holiday? No Pay. Sourcing new work? No Pay.

But, do I prefer it? Yep. If I do good, I get my reward (which is time off between jobs). If I do bad, I only have myself to blame.

I encourage those who don't enjoy working for others to look to starting up as an independent. Whether that is advising other firms on something you are good at, or gardening, cleaning windows or whatever. At least you find out if you can make the life you want. If you can't (as some friends have found) at least you know and can return to the world of working for others knowing you are better off working for someone else!

Red

Well said Red, I too have no paid holidays, sick pay, and work pretty much every day but i wouldnt change being self employed for anyone. No it doesnt get rid of the anoying boss, infact now i have about 20 but i choose to put up with them or turn down the work. I plan my own schedule and dont have to "look busy" for no reason which always got my goat. Your always working for someone or you wouldnt be working. Chin up Lannyman and get your self up this way soon for some bow making ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or come over here and plant some trees and dig some veg beds - I went off to my client site last week working out how many days I had to work to re-roof the big barn - it helps me think about turning work into things that matter!

working for my self now (still setting up to actually get a sensible wage but luckly i can take the time to do that )

so its all weekend in the shed grinding. and most evenings week days is now kids summer holidays so they take over sounds great but after cooking and clearing up dinner at 7pm and puttin the kids to bed theres still a couple of hrs going to work to do .

however this is the office and its my choice not to give a pay rise ;)

gdn1.jpg

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Would it be better if we stopped working towards obtaining money, and started working towards sustaining ourselves? Even if we went "off-grid" and lived a self sustained, happy, existence, working only to serve ourselves, we would still live in a world ruled by money, right? Meaning we would have to make some. I dunno man, life and how to live it seems to get increasingly more difficult to figure out as I just plod along.

Surely with the collective wisdom in this here forum we can all figure it out. So... who has the answer?

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Modern western society and its moneycontrolled way of thinking is spreading like a disease, infecting/effecting everyone and everything it comes into contact with.
The only way to escape from that, is find a hole where it hasn't been yet. And even than we ourselves would take those ideas with us.
A place without money, bosses, status and career, where we could do as we pleased? Doesn't exist. You have to play along, but you can try and stretch the rules a bit.....

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Nope. Life is good. I'm fit and well, I don't have cancer or any other acute or chronic sickness. I have a great wife, good friends and a loving family. I live in a beautiful part of the world with access to the mountains and the countryside. I have three part-time jobs, all of which I find interesting most of the time. I retired from the armed services 2 years ago and am retraining on a degree course, which I'm really enjoying. It's often the little things that I appreciate more now, like a bit more time spent with people I like, finding a good clump of sorrel in the woods, some raspberries in the park, doing a good job for a friend or neighbour.

Whilst I could complain about a few minor things, there's no point and I just feel fortunate to be in this situation. It hasn't always been like this but I consciously worked to make changes when I wasn't happy and have always been 'in control' of my life (insofar as any of us have 'control' over our lives). I understand that this is not the case for many people but you can always do something (legal) to increase your quality of life.

I am neither blinded by optimism nor crippled by pessimism. Life, overall, is good and I'm glad to be alive. Count your blessings.

Last edited:

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
This thread is like a bloody Morrissey song!

Get a grip people, perspective is what is called for. Think of the 92+ families in Finland right now, all those young people butchered.

So, your job is crap, change it. You need more money, get a second job. You need 'me' time, stop being so selfish. I have been incredibly moved by the stories from some very young adults on that island, you want some more time eh? They wanted to see their friends grow up and laugh and have fun.

I was going to apologise for appearing overly harsh, but I won't because actually I'm not. Perspective.

Norton

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2009
Glasgow
I've been feeling similar lately, despite knowing better. I tell myself every time I feel rubbish "You have to live the life you've got, not the one you wish you had". If you want that life you wish you had then put changes in place to get it, otherwise in the best military tradition you should "man-up wet pants";)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its true what they say, your health is the most important thing.
If youve got family.
Your'e a rich man.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
This thread is like a bloody Morrissey song!

Get a grip people, perspective is what is called for. Think of the 92+ families in Finland right now, all those young people butchered.

So, your job is crap, change it. You need more money, get a second job. You need 'me' time, stop being so selfish. I have been incredibly moved by the stories from some very young adults on that island, you want some more time eh? They wanted to see their friends grow up and laugh and have fun.

I was going to apologise for appearing overly harsh, but I won't because actually I'm not. Perspective.

Here here!

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Nope. Life is good. I'm fit and well, I don't have cancer or any other acute or chronic sickness. I have a great wife, good friends and a loving family. I live in a beautiful part of the world with access to the mountains and the countryside. I have three part-time jobs, all of which I find interesting most of the time. I retired from the armed services 2 years ago and am retraining on a degree course, which I'm really enjoying. It's often the little things that I appreciate more now, like a bit more time spent with people I like, finding a good clump of sorrel in the woods, some raspberries in the park, doing a good job for a friend or neighbour.

Whilst I could complain about a few minor things, there's no point and I just feel fortunate to be in this situation. It hasn't always been like this but I consciously worked to make changes when I wasn't happy and have always been 'in control' of my life (insofar as any of us have 'control' over our lives). I understand that this is not the case for many people but you can always do something (legal) to increase your quality of life.

I am neither blinded by optimism nor crippled by pessimism. Life, overall, is good and I'm glad to be alive. Count your blessings.

Wise words.

I am a self employed IT contractor & some years are good, some not so. At least being self employed or haveing a small business of some kind, as I do on the side as well, means that you can choose when to work & when not to. If you think you are trapped in a rat race, then you probabbly are... at least you are aware it's a race unlike so many. Maybe it's time to think about a small business, either part time or full time. Lots of people run a small business on the side, say 5 to 10 hours a week, that can sometimes grow into a full time business.

I have spent the weekend at teh CLA Game Fair, having returned half an hour ago. I had to endure 2 days going round shops looking at the best boots, rifles, jackets, fishing equipment & other assoterd field toys then money can buy. I was then forced to walk round carrying bags full of said items while off looking at more stalls full of goodies. The only respite was stops for hog roasts, cold Pims & doughnuts.. Fololowed by long evening sitting round a campfire drinking beer. It was hell.

Point is, I was really impressed by the number of small business people out selling interesting & different products, often from fairly small stalls. Their enthousiasm & love for what they do really rubbed off on me and has 'inspired' me to think about setting up a business that can employ me full time after a while. If one door shuts then maybe it's time to open one that you can one day own.... Optimisim is the key.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
Sorry if it's a bit OT but I can't look at this thread without starting to sing

[video=youtube;SQDVgvJGfN0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDVgvJGfN0[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE