Which Tarp for UK backpacking?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 26, 2013
Norfolk
Hi all!
Not a new topic I'm sure - but I'd appreciate any advice on suitable tarps that will provide cover for me and current Lady Runnerman in normal UK countryside........have always used light tents but want to go tarp route!

Thanks in advance

Steve

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Lots to choose from, for two I'd probably look for something around 3x3m, DD sell a PU coated nylon tarp, Alpkit sell various sizes of sil nylon tarps which are lighter, backpackinglight have some good choices as do ultralight outdoor gear.

Have you considered a tarp tent? You still get the open feel but are a little better protected from the elements. You'd usually pair the tarp tent with a separate lightweight inner or just use bivvy bags.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
This will partly depend on how you want to camp. If you are thinking about using either a waterproof or water-resistant bivy bag as part of your shelter then a smaller tarp will suffice. If not then you might need to consider the best way to add some midge netting for the times when the bugs are about. You can generally manage with a slightly smaller tarp in woodland and similarly sheltered areas too, as you don't get quite the same problem with rain splashing or driving under the tarp edges as you do on an open hill.

I would suggest looking at the Alpkit Rig 7 as a good base for comparison. It's usefully larger than the old GoLite Cave I've used for years, so I've a fair idea of how it will function despite not having used mine yet, and seems to be quite solidly made. For two people the size will be adequate in a few basic pitches (A-frame style, for example) but it might be a little too small to give enough room if you're pitching it in a more enclosed fashion and folding it around to form a door. The Rig 7 has plenty of good tie-out points, including some to let you put the ridgeline above the tarp to handily avoid water dripping down it and onto you. Backpackinglight has a few good options to consider, including a couple from DD Hammocks: you can also go to the DD Hammocks site directly; have a look at the 3x3 Tarp which should be suitable for your needs, amply big enough and very reasonably priced, though heavier than the Alpkit Rig 7 or Backpackinglight's own brand offerings.

If you're not sure about sizing the standard procedure is to take a couple of sheets and clothes pegs and construct a mockup at home to the size of the tarp you're interested in :D

EDIT: And Shewie, typing rather faster, points you to exactly the same options! :)

Last edited:

Swjoergensen

Mar 17, 2013
Denmark
I would pick a lighter tarp than the DD for backpacking. It will work and is quite doable, but it's bulky and heavy compared to sil tarps. The rig7 would be a great choice I think, for grounddwelling due to nice size and all the attachmentpoints.

I have used the 3x3 DD for a good while myself, but have quickly wished I'd spend a little more on a lighter sil tarp.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
For 2 of you go for a tarp tent config from a 3x3 tarp or just get a tarp tent like the Sil-Minipeak or Sil-Hexpeak. If you don't need the inner you can save 450g and leave it at home.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A 3m x 3m tarp in a lightish fabric, not necessarily silnylon, is a good place to start. There seems little point spending a lot on a shelter system that you may not like. A fairly standard set-up will enable you to decide better whether and how you might need/want to upgrade and you will have something that will be reasonably easy to sell on if needs be.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not sure if it will be big enough for you to fit both of you under it, but I do rather like my UK issued Basha. I got it in DPM, a friend has it in MTP. Lots of options for pitching, quite light, and very well made.

J

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I doubt the issue tarp will be big enough but the dd hammocks 3x3 should, if your not obsessive about weight go for the 4x4

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your new to tarp camping I would say go for a cheap plastic tarp off ebay and see how you get on. If your happy then splash out on more expensive/lighter tarps but don't waste money until you are confident this type of camping is for you. You'll need a bivvy bag too.

Nov 26, 2013
Norfolk
Thanks to all!

I'll go with the try a cheap tarp at home idea first and spend a night on a camp bed to see if tarp camping is for me!
As for leaving the current Lady Runnerman at home and going for a smaller tarp.......that might not go down very well with 'er indoors!

Seriously - thanks for all your thoughtful replies - I hope I will get on with tarps.......and will follow your advice re lighter tarps!

S

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I use a whopping 7 x 9 meters for the family with army beds . And a smaller 4 x 6 meters for just me and a mate again with army beds . Get the fire in the right spot and stay warm plus bug free . Tarps to me are so versatile and can be changed quickly if the weather turns. I go large for that reason alone . Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE