Hooped Bivi Bags....thoughts!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi de hi campers, given the chatter above, I thought it might help if I give another update to my original post on this thread. I spent an unhealthy period of time 'nerding out' on hooped bivi bags and ended up getting a Dutch army hooped bivi. Specifically, I was able to get my hands on a brand new (unissued) FECSA made example from surplus and outdoors.

The FECSA version isn't as good as the Carinthia equivalent, the fabric is much the same but the zips are more vulnerable. Indeed there are multiple reviews out there of folk complaining of their zips failing (particularly the zip that goes across the head end). I believe this failure often occurs because people peg them out too taught and put too much pressure on the zip. To that end, I rarely peg out the foot end of my bivvy and find that works well and negates the need to put excess tension on the zip.

Over the last couple of years, I've used the bivvy bag a lot and have documented most of my adventures over on my youtube channel (link below):

www.youtube.com/channel/UC5ngvrlKxZ9Lm8S8lWQxFWA

The bag has become one of my favourite shelter options, it's come with me on trips to the woods, the moors and the beach. It pairs up wonderfully with a poncho or small tarp. At 8ft long, it's also a great size, I'm 5'10" and have plenty of room for myself and my rucksack which invariably gets stuffed into the head end for use as a pillow. I always love how it offers you a nice little safe haven from whatever Mother Nature decides to throw at you!

The fabric breathes very well and has yet to give me any trouble with condensation. Granted, I mitigate a lot of that risk by keeping the head end relatively open. I took it out a couple of weeks ago and used it without a tarp and low and behold the heavens opened while I was asleep. Rather than zip up the head end and seal myself in, I zipped it about a third of the way and also used the two poppers to close off the head end. This worked really well and I had no water ingress whatsoever (helped by pitching the head end into the wind) but still had plenty of ventilation. A video of this camp can also be seen on my channel (shameless plug!!).

I genuinely think it's one of the best hooped bivi's on the market. If for whatever reason I had to replace it, I honestly wouldn't even hesitate in getting the same again. I'd either search for another unissued example or save my pennies for the Carinthia equivalent - the XP Two Plus. The Carinthia XP Two Plus is an identical design, but uses better quality materials and is a tad lighter. The kicker is that the Carinthia version costs considerably more (approx £500!). By comparison, the FECSA Dutch Army Hooped Bivi can be had for anything between £80 and £150.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
By way of an update - I ended up getting a brand new Dutch Army Hooped Bivi! It's the FECSA version, which means that the zips are a bit fragile. But at least with a brand new one, I know that it hasn't been abused and I can take extra care with it. Might even look at modifying it with a YKK zipper at some point.

The thing that won me over was the breathable gore-tex fabric and the amount of space that they offer. I really really wanted to get the Snugpak Stratosphere because the design looks spot on and it was reasonably light. The trouble is that I'm a great big bag of hot air, I sleep warm and I had concerns that the sil-nylon fabric would most likely cause me issues. We'll see how things go with the Dutchy!

Thanks all for your advice.
A bit late in the day, but it's not Sil nylon, it's a ripstop polyester...and yes I have had condensation in it. I now use an Ionosphere, although still have the Stratosphere.

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
I have the Dutch one, cant remember if its Fesca or Carinthia but the zips are fine and the quality is exellent.
At 1.4kg inc poles and pegs Its not the lightest bivvy bag, but it has the advantage of bug net and side opening makes it very easy to get in and out.
I also have both the Carinthia expedition bag (750g) which is side opening, and a British army bag (800g) which is top loading only.
I am biased toward the side opening bags for ease of use.
I could proabably only justify the weight of the Dutch bag if I was needing a degree of stealth, not usung tarp, or during midge season.

Reactions: Danbushyone

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The hooped Dutch bivvy bag is a different thing but if you roll onto the side in a normal bivvy bag in order to get the nose out of the rain you want a bivvy bag with central zipper like the German army bivvy by Carinthia or the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag. You can do the same of course with the British army bivvy bag. But if you get another one with a side zipper you press the zipper into the mud or expose it to wind and rain. These are functionally limited due to the construction.

The US army bivvy bag also has a side zipper but the head area is designed differently. It seems that you roll in it to the side but leave the bivvy straight and don't take it with you. I never used it though because I find the British army version, the Snugpak SF and the German army bivvy bag constructions more convincing and that's what I bought.

Reactions: Ozmundo

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
The hooped Dutch bivvy bag is a different thing but if you roll onto the side in a normal bivvy bag in order to get the nose out of the rain you want a bivvy bag with central zipper like the German army bivvy by Carinthia or the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag. You can do the same of course with the British army bivvy bag. But if you get another one with a side zipper you press the zipper into the mud or expose it to wind and rain. These are functionally limited due to the construction.

The US army bivvy bag also has a side zipper but the head area is designed differently. It seems that you roll in it to the side but leave the bivvy straight and don't take it with you. I never used it though because I find the British army version, the Snugpak SF and the German army bivvy bag constructions more convincing and that's what I bought.
Valid points, it depends what you are doing, in my case I use a tarp with a groundsheet under it. I am also thinking of using bivy when in a tent (side vestibule type) for a couple of degrees extra warmth, and this is when the top loader like the British one is less convenient.
At 63 I need a few comforts - lol.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Also in the tent the central zipper is the better compromise, in a hammock for sure. In a heavy storm if you need the bivvy bag the most and your tarp is already on the way to New York the British one is the best, directly followed by the more comfortable German army version and the much lighter Snugpak SF bivvy bag.

Most military bivvys put you onto the right side, the Snugpak SF onto your left. But if you aren't extraordinary stressed you surely fall better asleep on your left, what can be easily tried out in your bed.
I mean, have a look at the zipper flap and imagine how you will actually use it in adverse weather conditions.

The people who order equipment for armies often think through the stuff better than the makers. Of course, the officiers have a lot of testers to talk with. And very often the makers just do what the armies ordered and are unable to develop own patterns that are equally good.

There are a lot of examples where makers deliver an iconic army issued pattern and otherwise the catalogue is full of nonsense constructions.

The German army bivvy bag is an army construction so far I see and was former made by Feuchter. My own one is actually a Feuchter bag.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Much prefer hooped bivvy to the basic sack.
Much easier to use and I prefer a side to a top entry; and more comfortable/weather resistant....losing out some ultimate portability? (I have the Snugpak Stratosphere)

Prefer to either the Snugpak Ionosphere, more a bivvy/tent crossover?

Reactions: ianmbetts

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What can be easier done than pulling your sleeping bag and simple bivvy bag in one rush out of the rucksack, to throw it onto the closed cell foam mat and hopp in?

I mean there is a reason why most NATO armies issue exactly that.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
With a non-hooped bivy, I just keep the sleeping bag inside all shoved into my backpack and then get in by standing in it and pulling it up around me before lying down. Unless I’m in a tent or hammock, that’s my preferred way of getting in and out of sleeping bags anyway and it works great for tarps, even if you’ve lowered it down a bit for the night.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Well, tarps are for girls anyway.
Real cowboys don't need such a nonsense if they have a Gortex bivvy bag.

:biggrin:

PS: Real Cowboys have to eat nuts and fruit mix for dinner though.

ianmbetts

Nov 2, 2022
Ireland
Also in the tent the central zipper is the better compromise, in a hammock for sure. In a heavy storm if you need the bivvy bag the most and your tarp is already on the way to New York the British one is the best, directly followed by the more comfortable German army version and the much lighter Snugpak SF bivvy bag.

Most military bivvys put you onto the right side, the Snugpak SF onto your left. But if you aren't extraordinary stressed you surely fall better asleep on your left, what can be easily tried out in your bed.
I mean, have a look at the zipper flap and imagine how you will actually use it in adverse weather conditions.

The people who order equipment for armies often think through the stuff better than the makers. Of course, the officiers have a lot of testers to talk with. And very often the makers just do what the armies ordered and are unable to develop own patterns that are equally good.

There are a lot of examples where makers deliver an iconic army issued pattern and otherwise the catalogue is full of nonsense constructions.

The German army bivvy bag is an army construction so far I see and was former made by Feuchter. My own one is actually a Feuchter bag.
Good points, though I am not a soldier nor was I ever. I am just an old chap who enjoys a hike and some peace and quiet yet also comfortable time in the countryside. I am not planning the kind of adventure where I expect to end up lying on my side in a pool of mud. In the unlikely event that it might be necessary to do so I would still rather have enjoyed the comfort and convenience of my side opening bag for the 99.99% of the time that it wasnt (necessary).

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It depends on the area and the kind of adventures if it's likely to get in demanding weather conditions.

I didn't visit Britain in the last decades, but when I was there they offered everywhere bed and breakfast and fish and chips.

If the weather becomes really unfriendly one can but doesn't have to play the super hero.

I choose my lightweight equipment to spend a nice time outdoors and I could survive with it a heavy storm too. But I can't imagine to stay in the open field if the weather stays horribly. Why should I?

Also in towns and villages is a lot to see and most of them even have well heated museums and bus lines.

Reactions: ianmbetts

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Well, tarps are for girls anyway.
Real cowboys don't need such a nonsense if they have a Gortex bivvy bag.

:biggrin:

PS: Real Cowboys have to eat nuts and fruit mix for dinner though.
Ah yes, but at least I don't have to schlep a big leather saddle around with me to use as a pillow. I've got a little inflatable one nowadays, so plenty of space in the pack for a tarp.

Albie01

Jan 7, 2022
Carlton
HI guys my reply to the hooped bivvy I use the dutch army hooped bivvy bag with the m90 sleeping bag nice and cosy and I use a basha as my tarp low down, stealth mode

Feb 28, 2024
South England
I have the Dutch one, cant remember if its Fesca or Carinthia but the zips are fine and the quality is exellent.
At 1.4kg inc poles and pegs Its not the lightest bivvy bag, but it has the advantage of bug net and side opening makes it very easy to get in and out.
I also have both the Carinthia expedition bag (750g) which is side opening, and a British army bag (800g) which is top loading only.
I could proabably only justify the weight of the Dutch bag if I was needing a degree of stealth, not usung tarp, or during midge season.
Hi, I'm looking for info on this bivvy (expidition bag) as I prefer the classic style but with a zip. Very expensive and can't get any reviews. Just wondering what you think of yours? Can you get a slim airmat in there. I have a 6cm by 55 cm mummy pad I'd like to go inside. Cheers

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Hi, I'm looking for info on this bivvy (expidition bag) as I prefer the classic style but with a zip. Very expensive and can't get any reviews. Just wondering what you think of yours? Can you get a slim airmat in there. I have a 6cm by 55 cm mummy pad I'd like to go inside. Cheers
This may be useful.

Reactions: Danbushyone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE