Hooped Bivi Bags....thoughts!

cipherdias

Jan 1, 2014
Wales
I'd quite fancy using a bivi bag type thing as I am tired of lugging around a 3kg tent but worried it would be too claustrophobic.

SCOMAN

Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Bear in mind to be truly successful, IMO, in bivvy camping a tarp is really helpful. Especially the next morning sorting your admin out.

Reactions: DelMears

Tiley

Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Bear in mind to be truly successful, IMO, in bivvy camping a tarp is really helpful. Especially the next morning sorting your admin out.
Absolutely! A tarp can be a real blessing as it allows you to open things up a little, avoiding the claustrophobia that some folk feel as well as giving you a drier area when it's raining.

Erbswurst

Native
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Sorry, if you want something better than the issued British army bivvy bag, there is only the German Army bivvy bag, made by and sold new by Carinthia where you can breath through the fabric.

Should you want something lighter, choose a Snugpack Special Forces bivvy bag. With the half length zipper it's pretty comfortable.

If you don't breath outside the bivvy bag you will get massively condensation problems. So if you don't want to lighten the load I recommend to stick with the issued British army bivvy bag.

For warm weather Snugpack SF and Carithia are the better choice, but in British conditions the British army bivvy bag is probably the best option if you still get easily in and out.

That is Goretex three layer fabric.
Only Goretex gas permeable technology fabric is better, and this is as far as I am informed only available from Carinthia.

ASMC sells German Army Carinthia bivvy bags used in usually good conditions for the price of a new Snugpak SF.
They are heavier than the British army bivvy bag.

If you think about carrying a hooped bivvy bag you should think about the Hilleberg Akto tent as well.
Far more comfortable, very light too.

Last edited:
Reactions: DelMears

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne, Derbyshire
A bit of a tangent to this thread but hopefully there may be some answers. I've got an old surplus hooped bivvy with loads of room in the top, I can put by rucksack in there with room to spare. Has anyone had any experiances of sleeping with a dog in the top of the bivvy bag? We want to introduce our dog to camping but I think just an open bivvy and tarp may be a bit much for her just yet.