Which SAK ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I noticed a lot of you guys use a SAK for a everyday carry . I have until recently carried a Leatherman wave and a Gerber scout (i think thats the model anyway).
Obviousley these are both locking knifes (Hence no longer carried) so i am looking into the SAK selection . You have got to appreciate the Champ xxlt , what a whopper !! But i would guess a bit much of a handfull !! In reality i do like the Champ xlt and some of the survival/traveler kits look ok .
Which model would you guys recomend ? I use the screw drivers , pliers and even the file (as a tyre lever) on my Leatherman and Gerber daily so really miss not having a legal tool , but i do not wish to risk getting in trouble for carrying them , or worse , have them confiscated ! :eek:
Cheers
Pumbaa

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Pumbaa,
I have no doubt that there are hundreds of thousands of Leatherman and other multi-tools being carried regularly by the public at large. The way the law is written, leaves the interpretation up to other authorities, hence if you are being an idiot and endangering anybody, you are guilty of a knife crime. But if you are able to demonstrate that you have a "Bone-fide" need for such a tool, then you have, I believe, due cause to carry it.
That said, with the Gerber range, you can dismantle the handles and remove the cutting blade if you feel that strongly about using the rest of the tool, just find something else to go in its place (a second screwdriver blade perhaps)!
I have PST2, Ledgend, Swiss Champ and others and have preferences and dislikes on each. I don't like the Gerber blade as it is semi serated, I prefer the Leatherman plain blade for cutting tasks. The Gerber pliers are better IMHO, being more comfortable to grip. The choice of SAK is down to what blades you are likely to use most often, The SAK saw is one of the best there is.
It is also worth noting where you can buy spare from if you ever need to replace tweezers, springs etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
second vote for the Huntsman but I'm not sure it's a replacement for a Wave

I'm sure I've seen multitools with non-locking blades which would stil give you the pliers etc.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi, I really can’t justify carrying anything – stuck in an office all day and Leatherman don’t do a tool to press “Ctrl + Alt + Delete”. However, I do own a Wave and a number of SAKs + others. (I would say my best folding blade is, believe it or not, an RS {Radio Spares} locking blade. It takes a really good edge is very strong and comfortable).

Anyway, my comment, I bought one of the big SAK with the pliers when they first came out, 10-15 years ago and as much as I love it, the pliers are useless for anything you would want to do with pliers. Plus I find now the knife is much wider, the screw drivers are that much more off centre which makes them slightly less usable.

I would stick to your Leatherman and not worry too much about the law. (I know I’ll get criticised for that. On Friday I was having a drink with three coppers, my friends, and I used a small knife with a 4cm blade to open a box. One of them said “does that lock”, “yes”, “it’s illegal”, at which point one of them pulled out a Wave and said “so is this”, then the others two pulled out similar “offensive weapons” and we had a chat about their merits and the bloody silly law)

If you’re really worried and get searched a lot (never met anyone who has!) then remove the blade from your Leatherman or disable the lock.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I usually carry a huntsman,its just about ideal for me, but have just this week gone back to my old astronaut (sadly I don't think you can get them anymore) becuase I was missing the philips screwdriver.

Dave

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The Letherman Juice is slightly smaller than the wave but, most importantly, DOESN'T have a locking blade :) I have it as an EDC sometimes.
The other knife I carry is a SAK Camper. I find it's small and light so you can carry it in a pocket without pulling your trousers down or walking round in circles !!!

Both good knives.

Cheers

Mark

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Buckshot said:
The Letherman Juice is slightly smaller than the wave but, most importantly, DOESN'T have a locking blade :)

What Buckshot said.

I have a Leatherman Juice pro (basically the XE6) which is the heaviest of the juice range but I find it fine to carry in my pocket - and in jeans it fits fine in the little (condom?) pocket. Looks a bit like an SAK too with the corkscrew on the side and most importantly it has one finger access to the bottle opener while closed. :D

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hey Buckshot,

I’ve got a bone to pick with you:-

You just said “I find it's small and light so you can carry it in a pocket without pulling your trousers down or walking round in circles !!!”

I’m sitting here in an office full of dweebs and you go and make me laugh out loud, it’s just not on!
:D

Povarian

Forager
May 24, 2005
High Wycombe, Bucks
Andy Brierley said:
Hi, I really can’t justify carrying anything – stuck in an office all day and Leatherman don’t do a tool to press “Ctrl + Alt + Delete”.
Nope, but they do have all the things necessary to open the case and add/remove strange shaped lumps in the insides of the machines. Not to mention wire stripping etc. I carry a super-tool daily - What more justification does an office bod need? :D

The only necessary the leatherman doesn't have is a corkscrew. :( ...and yes I can get a bottle open with the leatherman (without braking the bottle), I just love that popping sound.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Andy Brierley said:
Hey Buckshot,

I’ve got a bone to pick with you:-

You just said “I find it's small and light so you can carry it in a pocket without pulling your trousers down or walking round in circles !!!”

I’m sitting here in an office full of dweebs and you go and make me laugh out loud, it’s just not on!
Sorry Andy :D
I'll shut up then

Cheers

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Andy Brierley said:
Hey Buckshot,
Now you've made my spray tea all over the keyboard :p

I can just imagine an office full of Dilbert like characters :D

ATB

Ogri the trog

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
God, you could not invent this stuff. We all sit around emailing clients and suppliers and EACH OTHER. I get emails from the guy I sit next to! I COULD REACH OUT AND FLICK THE END OF HIS NOSE!!!! JUST TALK TO ME!!!!.

I think I may be a Borg drone! Resistance is futile.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
For pocket carry, the Camper, Hiker, Farmer or Electrician seem to be about the right size for me.

campervshiker1b.jpg

farmervselectrician1b.jpg

For on the hip, I carry a Vic Ranger along with a Leatherman P4 (for pliers) in a homemade pouch. This has been my edc for over a year now and it has worked out well for me.

ranger.jpg

pouch1b.jpg

pouch4b.jpg

O

oakwright

I have found the mountaineer to be ideal with a corksew srcewdriver . with a small pair of PROPER pliarers and small adjustable on a trip. I ahve found multi tools a complete waste of time ,not cofortable touse, not strong enough etc. I have brokenleatherman and gerbiers to date.

Oakwright

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Three faves from my vast collection dispersed into drawers/pockets/cars/rucsacs/bags/pouches....

1.The Wenger with locking blade-illegal apparently but looks like a normal one.

2.New Bundeswehr made by Wenger-again a locking blade with liner lock, OD handles and a serrated main blade (Serrated at the front of the blade not the back)
3.The Victorinox Champion-has so many blades you only suspect their purpose....

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Three faves from my vast collection dispersed into drawers/pockets/cars/rucsacs/bags/pouches....

1.The Wenger with locking blade-illegal apparently but looks like a normal one.

2.New Bundeswehr made by Wenger-again a locking blade with liner lock, OD handles and a serrated main blade (Serrated at the front of the blade not the back)

3.The Victorinox Champion-has so many blades you only suspect their purpose....

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I have a Campflame - same as Huntsman but with integral butane lighter.

You therefore have a corkscrew, a bottle opener, and means to ignite the barbecue. The Campflame is a party waiting to happen.

Seriously - a touch gimmicky but nevertheless useful.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey

I recently discovered the minimalist SAKs. This Bantam is getting a lot of carry time. I find the toothpick and tweezers very handy. The little screwdriver/bottle opener/can opener "combination tool" works well.

I also got an Alox one:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE