SAK Pioneer Range - Help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Hey guys, have never really wanted a SAK before because i never found the need but i saw the farmer recently i thought it looked a really good tool for when in the woods. I then saw there is the harvester, which replaces the can opener with a pruning blade. I figure having an extra blade is better than having a can opener? The downside to the harvester is, there is no key chain loop for some reason & it also seems more harder to find.

I was wondering if someone with any of these knifes could chime in and give their take on them. Would really like to hear the advantage of the pruning blade and what people use it for exactly. Would also like to know what you guys are using the reamer for. Any info on how the rest of the knife holds up would be great.
If anyone thinks there is a better SAK for out in the 'bush' i would love to hear it, just nothing too big please.

Thanks! :)

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
Oh wow, the Bushcrafter looks perfect! I am surprised they never added on their special Firesteel onto it tho. Too bad it costs more money for less tools :( Do you know if swiss bianco sell in the UK at all? Also, is it possible to just take out tools from a SAK depending on their configuration? If so, you could just make your own 'bushcrafter' from a farmer.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'm not aware of anyone selling Swiss Bianco in the UK.

And yes, people seem to mod them all the time, though I have never done it. You might find more info on SOSAK, http://www.sosakonline.com/

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I have a farmer in my pocket all the time.
The saw is great and i use the small screwdriver on the can opener blade on cross head screws (plugs mainly) often.
The way the awl sits when open is very user friendly.

I have fancied a harvester but no real need at the moment.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have the alox electrician. It's got the regular blade, bottle opener, reamer and a smaller goats foot blade with wire strippng blade.
I find the small strong blade can be used as a scalpel and gives lots of control for delicate tasks. The reamer makes perfect holes, great work leather work and the like.
The bottle opener is useful for, well, opening beer bottles!
Was really tempted by the harvester but thought the pruning blade would be harder to sharpen, and the electrician was cheaper.

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
You might find more info on SOSAK, http://www.sosakonline.com/

Oh wow, lot's of nice knifes on there! Seems there is lots of special runs (Some with only 50 being made) with nice features but people buy them just to put them in a glass case! Bit of a shame really.

I have a farmer in my pocket all the time.
The saw is great and i use the small screwdriver on the can opener blade on cross head screws (plugs mainly) often.
The way the awl sits when open is very user friendly.

I have fancied a harvester but no real need at the moment.

What do you make of the saw? That's the main reason for buying it i think. Is there any real limitations with it & how do you go about keeping it sharp? Is the awl useful for woodwork at all? Also, if you could would you swap out the can opener with a pruning blade?

I have the alox electrician.

I like the look of the smaller blade on the electrician the most, looks really useful but the problem for me is no saw.
Two main things i would use is the knife and the saw i think.

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
Go with the Farmer.
Just file off the keyring loop and you have one of the best knives ever (just my humble opinion :))
Great blade, excellent saw, superb awl plus regular SAK features. It's my go to bushcraft knife that hangs round my neck every time I go out.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The saw is only limited by its size but for anything larger i'd have my laplander with me.
They stay sharp for a long, long time, never had to sharpen any sak saw,(i've had others,larger locking saks).
I like the can opener only for the wee screwdriver head on it but don't think i'd change it.
The awl i use for general anything and everything tasks e.g parcel opening, cleaning nails etc. haven't used it for anything woody as yet but i'm not a good carver.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE