Are there any perfect multitools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Imho there are no perfect multi tools, they always have severe limitations. Mainly due to the need to cram them in into a wearable ’package’
Knives to thin, screwdrivers get damaged easily, saws too short, stuff like that.
They are useful for emergency stuff for sure, but none can replace proper tools.

My best one I have is a Chinese made one I use when I am out exercising my handguns.
Has two blades, one straight, one curved, plus the most useful feature, a magnetic bit holder and a decent selection of semi decent bits, which lasted a couple of uses.
But as the bits were of the universal standard, I could replace them with quality bits.
The other tools in it is of the usual Chinese standard, but those I have not used much.

I have had a couple of Leathermans, quality stuff, but .....

Of my electric tools I would say my Dremel is most used.
Drill, shape, sand, sharpen, cut, cut nice deep grooves in fingers, throw bits of metal onto face and chest, it does most stuff!

Had the designer been a person of intelligence, he would have put the rotation the other way. As it is now it is perfect for lefties.

Last edited:

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Today was a potching day and I got around to fixing a lot of stuff that has been on the fixing list for far too long. My house is 3 stories with everything that needs fixing typically on the top floor and all my tools on the bottom floor. The Rebar came in handy a lot today just to save me a trip down to the garage and back but I'm really glad I got it now. It coped with a couple of jobs that my old Gerber couldn't have done and I even had to use the ruler function which was very helpful. For the money I'm really impressed with it so far.

Mar 11, 2011
Germany
Assuming that the "perfect multitool" is the one I carry and use the most, out of the many options that I have collected over the years, I opt for a bigger size Victorinox knife without pliers. The Trailmaster model is the one that I carry almost every time. If you need one-hand opening, have a look at the Swiss Soldier's Knife (Schweizer Soldatenmesser 08). I also own their regular size SwissTool and the smaller SwissTool Multispirit, which I both prefer over my various Leathermans and Gerbers. Still, looking back, I very, very rarely had use of big pliers out in the woods. That's talking about bushcraft. If you want an EDC city tool, get the Multispirit. The regular size SwissTool is really great, but also heavy on the belt and thus, most of the time stays at home nowadays. I only wear it when I know that I may need it, beforehand.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Assuming that the "perfect multitool" is the one I carry and use the most, out of the many options that I have collected over the years, I opt for a bigger size Victorinox knife without pliers. The Trailmaster model is the one that I carry almost every time. If you need one-hand opening, have a look at the Swiss Soldier's Knife (Schweizer Soldatenmesser 08). I also own their regular size SwissTool and the smaller SwissTool Multispirit, which I both prefer over my various Leathermans and Gerbers. Still, looking back, I very, very rarely had use of big pliers out in the woods. That's talking about bushcraft. If you want an EDC city tool, get the Multispirit. The regular size SwissTool is really great, but also heavy on the belt and thus, most of the time stays at home nowadays. I only wear it when I know that I may need it, beforehand.

Problem with the Spirit is the locking blade - absolute no no for the city whether you have a reason to use it or not.

Gerber MP400 can be easily modded to replace the blade with a woodsaw or file (I replaced the can opener too so have a fully legal multitool with file and woodsaw and excellent pliers).

The Spirit could also be modified but with a lot more work. Great tool but if you are in the least bit wary of being stopped in the town or city with one, not worth the risk IMO.

Mar 11, 2011
Germany
Great tool but if you are in the least bit wary of being stopped in the town or city with one, not worth the risk IMO.

You're right of course. It was my mistake to forget that knife laws in the UK are even more restrictive than here in Germany, where we are at least allowed to carry all locking blades as long as they cannot be opened one-handedly.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
You're right of course. It was my mistake to forget that knife laws in the UK are even more restrictive than here in Germany, where we are at least allowed to carry all locking blades as long as they cannot be opened one-handedly.
Sorry - my mistake - didn't think to look where you were typing from (facepalm).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE