The common thread - favourite, most used & long serving kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Phases and fads come and go, but some things endure.

I was having a little reminisce, flicking through some old pictures on photobucket. It got me toward noting the things in my kit that crop up over and over again. Those things that do what they are meant to perfectly and have the longevity to not need replacing (if only every piece of kit I bought was like this, I would have half as much stuff). So I thought I would put it to the group: What are your most frequently/long term used items when bushcrafting? What are the items you never leave home without?

I initially tried to make this a top 5 for myself, but really struggled. As a result I have posted my top 10 below, but I am keen to know anyones top 5 or 10, or anything in between. I know every bit of kit has it's own story, so I'm keen to hear the ones around everyone's pieces.

Anyway, for me the top 10 is as follows:

1) Hobo Stove
This was my first ever home made project. From recollection I made it before I even had a pot to properly fit it. Cutlery strainer from Ikea, some newly purchased tin snips, and the rest is history. As a common denominator this is the thing I have the most pictures of using. It may phase out with a new pathfinder system I have purchased, but I haven't really tested that out yet. Time will tell.

As near new as I have a picture of.

Back in the UK

Here in the Aussie bush (note a few other items from the list)

2) 10cm Zebra Billy
I got this not long after building my hobo stove, and its been living with it ever since.

3) My Rogue Trail Boots.
I only just realised they are at least 5 years old, and have donned my feet for pretty much every bush trip in that time. Got a hole in the sole now :piange: but I'm going to look at resole them.

When they were brand new

4) Hilltrek Outdoors Ventile Smock
Until I moved to the tropics I wore this all the time. Wind proof and highly water resistant it is the business. The company made custom sizes for near the same price as off the shelf sizes, so I indulged. However, I didn't take into account layers, and as such its a little snug if I have several layers for warmth. Still its a magnificent smock, and I might get back to using it in the cooler hight country where I now live.

Brand new

In use on a blustery Scottish Loch

As the backdrop to some photos.

5) Surplus Gas Mask Bag
I inherited this when a mate was going to throw it in the bing during a clear out when I was 18(ish). It has pretty much been my wandering bag, or grab bag with daily essentials within a larger kit ever since.

Integral part of the bushwalking kit.

Even around town

6) Ben Orford Woodlander 3.5".
I bought it second hand on the BushcraftUK forum, and it was the best money I ever spent on a knife. Dream to use, its my go to knife (although I try and experiment with others)

With a few of its brethren.

7) Home made strop
In terms of frequency of use, it's probably right up top. It is a common denominator no matter which knife I'm using (even the kitchen knives).

Surprisingly few photos.

8) Fallkniven DC4 stone
Apparently there is an older and better model around, but when I got into this game this is what I got for my sharpening in the field, and it has done so for all my tools. Knifes, axes, draw knives, kitchen blenders etc!

Lurking in every belt kit I have ever carried.

9) Bahco laplander
Well, in all honesty this is number 2 or 3. But as far as a single commonly used item goes, there is always one close to hand.

No pictures in use. Suppose it gets all the boring jobs.

10) Original pattern Leatherman
It's probably the oldest bit of kit on the list. I got it from a girlfriend as a pressie when I was 16. Maybe not used so much out bush (never had much need for pliers), but this has built 80% of the flat pack furniture I've ever owned!

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else comes up with. Thanks for looking.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Most used would be my knives. Unfortunately they are such an ubiquitous item that they rarely last more than a few years before being lost.

Longest serving would be one of my shotguns. It's a 20 gauge Wichester Model 12 that's been handed down in my family since the early 20th Century.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
It would have to be my strop.

It's a genuine horse hide razor strop, which belonged to my Grandfather, was passed down to my Dad, who used it until he got a safety razor after WW2, then I started using it some 16 years ago. The thing has got to be well over 100 years old, I use it most weeks.

Dave

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I don't have any pictures of it but i would have to be my black steel frying pan from de buyer, bought as a gift when we moved into out first house nearly 30 years ago. Would probably still look new if i cleaned the seasoning off.

Tonyuk

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Longest serving would be one of my shotguns. It's a 20 gauge Wichester Model 12 that's been handed down in my family since the early 20th Century.

It would have to be my strop.

It's a genuine horse hide razor strop, which belonged to my Grandfather, was passed down to my Dad, who used it until he got a safety razor after WW2, then I started using it some 16 years ago. The thing has got to be well over 100 years old, I use it most weeks.

Great to have some heirlooms like that! Hopefully their is life left in my Ben Orford to make and heirloom of that (if I can ever part with it)

My longest serving kit has to be my Tilley T3 hat - which I have had six of but only paid for one thanks to the Lifetime guarantee

That is a great lifetime guarantee then! Mark of a good company if they honour their guarantees no questions asked.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For me when outdoors, I suppose my 'most used' thing has to be my stainless steel Crusader mug which serves as pot, bowl, mug and kettle when I'm on my own. It's a wonderful, practical design; though, if I were to be really picky, I would like more extensive volume markers on the inside of it.

Of knives and saws, I have a few but the ones that make me smile when I'm using them are my Ben Orford Woodlander and/or my Skookum Bushtools. On the saw front, I just love the efficiency of the Silky Pocket Boy. For splitting and other, heavier duty cutting, the little Husqvarna hatchet remains a 'must bring' tool.

Having now almost completely abandoned tents as accommodation on the move, my tarp gets a lot of use. It has changed identity and shape over the years but my current Rab Siltarp 2 is a great piece of kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE