Are there any perfect multitools?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Do you ever get the feeling that multitool manufacturers deliberately make their tools less than perfect to sell more? You look at one model of leatherman or SAK and think 'all that needs is x and y and it would be perfect' but no one ever makes a perfect tool. It's either too big, missing a crucial tool, the tools are on the inside for some reason or it's just too expensive compared to other similar models.

For example I've always thought the Leatherman Wave would be perfect if it had replaceable wire cutters and a replaceable saw and file (I'd settle for just the saw). Now Leatherman have released a new version of the Wave with the replaceable cutters which is so very nearly perfect but for some reason the cost about £45 more than a standard wave. You can buy a Rebar with replaceable cutters for under £50 so how does it add £45 to the cost of the wave just for the extras? Hopefully the price will drop in the future. I'm tempted with the Rebar but I know the lack of scissors will annoy me at some point. Why didn't they just replace the redundant second knife blade with scissors? :mad2:

I've wanted to replace my current multitool for years now but can't find the right tool for the job. It's a Gerber Recoil which is amazing as a needlenose pliers (one handed opening and sprung arms) and the tools are on the outside as they should be but it's from the bad days of Gerber when they used soft metal so the phillips screwdriver has mashed and the wire cutters damage too easily (and there's no saw or file :rant:).

You'd think by now companies would either offer custom order tools or tools that have slots for you to add or change out tools as required.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
The Leatherman Surge is perfect for me. Replaceable saw and file and wire cutters. Plus scissors and bit driver etc. It is big and heavy but then so am I.
I was lucky enough to get a victorinox multitool for Xmas - the Spirit XC. I like it a lot. It's more tactile, feels better made and has a nice set of tools, plus it comes with a mini ratchet which is great.. I would be hard pressed to choose between them they both have pros and cons and I like them both a lot.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Tracer1969

Feb 11, 2009
Belgium
Know what you mean.
I had the Leatherman Wave and wanted something new, so I bought the Surge for the removable file/saw, and then there was the Signal with a firesteel ans sharpener, so I ended up with 3 Leathermans to find out that I liked the Wave the most, so back to the beginning.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I've got a Charge and a Swisstool Spirit. Hard use of the pliers on the LM and it gets uncomfortable. The Swisstool is the Rolls Royce of multitools.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
The Swisstool is the Rolls Royce of multitools.

That right there. Had many Multi-tools over the past 20 years and the Swiss-tool is just leagues ahead. The early gerbers were brilliant but since they started using cheese instead of metal they are next to useless for anything other than display purposes.
I broke my oldest gerber sport many years back and had them fix it under the warranty. They very kindly replaced it !nooo! I had to get them to fish my original out of the bin and send it back to me so that I could replace the blade I had broken. I then promptly shelve the rest of the new tool...

Swiss-tools are just so well made and more ergo than you would imagine just by looking at them.

Reactions: Nice65

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
How are the knife blades on the swiss-tools? The ones I looked at only seemed to have what looked like a bread knife on them.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
As there is so much variation in people's requirements on multitools, a 'perfect multitool' would seem like an impossibility :) It might be possible to make a modular multitool, with some kind of empty handle unit that could have a mix of tools inserted or clipped onto it for any particular trip or job. That would allow the required flexibility, but it would probably be so unwieldy and expensive that no-one would buy it........

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
How are the knife blades on the swiss-tools? The ones I looked at only seemed to have what looked like a bread knife on them.

I've got the serrated version. Given the choice I'd have opted for the plain blade, but these were on Amazon at £50. The blades fine, not my ideal, but it's ok.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
There was the Quirky Switch modular pocket knife. Looked terrible, and seems they are no longer sold. So guess weren't popular.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
As there is so much variation in people's requirements on multitools, a 'perfect multitool' would seem like an impossibility :) It might be possible to make a modular multitool, with some kind of empty handle unit that could have a mix of tools inserted or clipped onto it for any particular trip or job. That would allow the required flexibility, but it would probably be so unwieldy and expensive that no-one would buy it........

The Leatherman surge is basically there. It's got the adapters for file and saw and the bit driver which make it more versatile but it's a big tool. I just want all that in a tool the size of the wave. For the price of the Rebar :goodluck:

Reactions: bobnewboy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I like the serrated bread knife blade. It's 'friendly' looking for a locking blade and the serrations are perfect for a cut-anything type blade.
I found a straight blade I ended up getting it shaving sharp and then not wanting to use it for plastic, cardboard and all those jobs you wouldn't want to use your fine blade for. Or at least don't want to have to sharpen it again afterwards.

Also the little chisel blade, file, super sharp saw and scissors easily. Make up for the lack of a more traditional blade.

Reactions: KenThis

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Loads of perfect multi tools - it is your wants that are at fault!

wait-good-point_fb_1144675.jpg

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
For me the Leatherman Crunch is perfect for my EDC use. it has all the tools I need and the locking pliers are a bonus.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I'd also like the Leatherman folding secatures to be rereleased. With a decent replaceable pruning saw and proper gardening knife blades. And a bottle opener because I get the beer shakes after a hard day potching in the garden :hungry:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'd also like the Leatherman folding secatures to be rereleased. With a decent replaceable pruning saw and proper gardening knife blades. And a bottle opener because I get the beer shakes after a hard day potching in the garden :hungry:

Nah, Felcos. Tools for jobs and all that, my No.8 have been running just fine since 1987.

I confess to having had several hankerings for the LM Genus over the years, but I never got one. I have this deliberation with most multitools and then chuck the idea, if I need pruners, screwdriver, torx, knife etc, I'll take what I need. The Charge and bit set lives in the car for occasional use, the Swisstool in the kitchen drawer because it's better, stronger, and more pleasing to use.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Nah, Felcos. Tools for jobs and all that, my No.8 have been running just fine since 1987

I use the No.2. Great bit of kit, I don't know how I ever did without them. There's always an odd pruning job I find though when I don't have them and every time I wish I had a folding secateur.

Reactions: Nice65

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE