Which path to Bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bhold

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2005
Lancaster
This started as a different thread ("Bearclaw bushcraft?"), but as it took a ddifferent, wider scope, I thought that it would be better as a new one.

Quoting myself:
maybe I should develop my question (and I don't know if this would be better as a new thread, as the answers can be quite usefull to a lot of people):

I will be in the UK only for a couple more years, before going back to Brazil.
I've been always involved with wild camping, have been a boy scout's chief, spent some time researching indigenous peoples, made some knives, some sundials, have learnt the basics of cattle work in gaucho ranches in the South American grasslands and have been around pretty much. I actually choosed anthropology as my profession because I wanted to be outdoors. Now, as I finish my PhD, it becomes even more clear that I have to made new choices, because although I can be a scholar, I would prefer something more "hands on" on life, if you know what I mean.

When I first got here, I was quite happy to learn that all that I was involved and interested with has been put under a name (bushcraft), and actually had quite a tradition. This meant courses, books, forums, and lots of people to talk to and to learn from (thumbs up for this forum and the one on britishblades).
As I don't have a lot ££ available, I am trying to decide for the right shot, the best way of parting with some money and having the most in return.

As now I thought a few possibilities:
The woodcraft school instructor scheme: one year, seems very good, I would go back to my neck of the woods with a sound knowledge, but is too expensive (£4,000 for overseas students)

Concentrating on specialty courses, for instance doing one in bow making, one in friction fire lighting (already did that one with Dave Watson), one in tracking. The idea here would be getting the harder details right, and I would have the work of putting it all together.

Concentrating on doing a one week introduction to bushcraft. Good point is that I would develop a good foundation, on top of which I could build.

I know there is a lot of people here with a lot of experience, even instructors, and I would really appreciate if you give me a tip. What would be the best way to gain sound bushcraft knowledge? Something that doen's break the bank, but that would make a difference if I decide to try to make a living through bushcraft in Brazil. Or, in the worst hipotesis (which is by all means still quite good), something that would provide me with lots of knowledge and contentment every time I spend a couple of weeks in the woods or plains of South America.

Cheers,
Luciano

leon-1

Luciano, most people find that they will naturally lean towards one skill or another (they find it easier to learn, practice and they enjoy it more).

I would say do many courses on many different aspects of bushcraft to give you a better grounding and a broader spectrum of skills. You will not master any skill on the course itself, so you may as well do a few, get the basics and practice them when you have the opportunity and time.

The craft skills are worthy of consideration. Making bows, leathercraft, knife making are all things which you will improve the level of your work with practice, but being shown certain aspects will make life a lot easier than self teaching.

Basic skills, shelter construction, ropework / knots, fire are all courses easily obtainable from most any of the schools (and you will find that they are very good in pretty much all cases), but they are exactly what they say they are "basic".

Craft courses on the other hand will take a lot of work and are definitely not basic, ask anyone that has tried flint knapping, leathercraft or any of the other relevant skills to bushcraft.

Do a basic course as it will teach you how to protect against the wind, wet and cold, this will give something solid to base things on. After that start getting other skills under your belt, either from attending local meets with others or by going on courses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE