Which GPS?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
I've used my Garmin Etrex Vista-C extensively and highly reccomend it; or the upgraded version....I even used it while flying to Florida last winter and could tell what towns we went over. I've done lots of geocaching with it and have hunted in some remote areas with confidence.

It gives you:
-color screen so rivers are blue and roads are black
-lots of map capability so you can really "see" where you are
-built in compass, very important as it correctly oreints the map while standing still
-runs on AA batteries

Also take up geocaching, its a great way to practice GPS skills.

A map and compass is for old farts; the compass tells you where north is, and the map shows the lay of the land, but they don't pinpoint where you actually are!

If you learned how to use them they would.:p A map and compass don't run out of power in the cold, or fail suddenly.

I have the basic yellow etrex for emergency backup; only used iti n the car so far when I get lost. I just pull over, get the map ref, find where I am on the map and off I go.

They should be really cheap on the bay by now. Only used mine to get map refs so I can't comment on the other functions,

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
gzornenplat
and a complete set of maps for the whole of the world ........
and I have enough food and water to hold out
for weeks while I check all those maps
Unquote

Excuse me mate but just how far do you walk in a normal day !!!!!

I reckcon if you have bought a GPS you are allowed to use it...

Map, gps, take both, hey I even take a spare pair of socks.

Back to the Orginal thread .. Have you thought about a pocket PC with GPS. I used to voice record notes to go with photos which then had a OS grid reference. Could load up the map for the area I was in and use it as a talking book at night in my hammock.
Plus did work related things

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I've an etrex venture cx with topo great britain on it.
Fantastic piece of kit imho. Apart from navigating I find it very handy for just making a 'mark' if I find a good camping spot/point of interest/water source etc thereby making it a dawdle to relocate next time I'm in the area.
I love maps as well and they really come into their own when viewing the wider territory that you're in. I wouldn't dream of going out without map and compass but I don't know anyone who has had a gps failing on them in the field (bound to happen occasionally but I'd hazzard a guess it's pretty rare). Just need to remember to take a spare set of batteries with you.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
I have an etrex, a good basic easy to use GPS....and has a far few usable features.....I very rarely us it....
I also have a silva compass....which I very rarely use....
maps too these I do use....

It's true that a GPS is useless without battery, the same can be said for a map that blew away in the wind or a compass you managed to drop half a mile ago....

they are all aids to navigation....to use them effectively you need to be able to navigate without them!

smoggy

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
Before I bought my Etrex GPS I was on Hols in Hafren (Hefren?) Forest in Wales. Lovely place. Pines trees as far as the eye could see. I had my map and compass But couln't even see a hill top to triangulate off of. I definately was not lost (there was a foot path) but I just couldnt place myself on the map. Hey ho, now I use the GPS to log how far I have gone and more easily place where I am on the map. One day I may walk more than 5 miles !!

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
As has so amiably been discussed (well done chaps)
GPS is a useful tool i have a Garmin GPS60 in combination with my grey matter, compass and map its a fantastic tool. I use it to verify my position from time to time. I often have my route planned into it which can be helpful with timings and distances to way points. I use it mainly as a data logger for places, photos taken, camping spots, speed at different sections in the day, and elevation It is most effective as a debriefing tool for improving navigation "ooh i thought i was there when actually i was here" "when we were there we did this to get back on track" "why did we go that way then when we should have gone this way" it has improved my navigation and that of those around me

my 2p get one learn how to use, but use it as an aid to navigation along with map compass pacing and timing techniques. Ow and always have a spare set of batteries in your pocket (nice and warm so the cold don't get to them).

J*

L

lostguide

I have a Magellen accuracy is down to 30cm, it never failed me yet.(as for batteries I can run my GPS from power monkey)

As for the debate about maps, I frequently work in developing countries, and we are the ones preparing the land survey maps as many areas there are no maps to start with .

and yes my compass skill are very good

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I use a pocket PC GPS, find it much better for working, but going to upgrade the sat receiver. Also I can have my choice of maps, and I find it easier to set up.

I actually find a map easier to use a lot of the time, and the GPS comes out for those moments of, were am I? There should be a path here, and there is not.

The SAS still dump you in a Jungle for 3 months, and teach navigation. Then they use GPS, but say to always carry spare batteries, and Map, and Compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE