Navigation recommendations-UK centric options.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Curious as to what you guys recommend for uk hillwalking use assuming map and compass already carried. Dedicated gps unit or smartphone and mapping app? Which one whichever option you prefer?

Got a smartphone, not got a gps unit. Got maps and more than a few compasses. Know how to navigate with maps and compasses so can get most out of a phone plus mapping app but perhaps not great with modern gps units. I only have ancient garmin gps60 I think. The original one with quad helix antenna but basic gos without any mapping just breadcrumb trail.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I use two apps on a smartphone. I've personally never felt the need for a dedicated GPS unit. I have the ordnance survey app on my phone, although I don't use it because I always have a paper OS map. But I also use an app called locus maps. I have locus maps classic, before it became a subscription service. The maps you buy for it (very cheap) are superb quality. I would say they have more detail in some respects than ordnance survey, I find the two complement each other very well. Locus maps will show paths that OS doesn't show. But OS shows rights of way more clearly.

I guess the only consideration would be if you're planning on using an electronic device in winter conditions when you don't want to take gloves off, then a phone may not be as practical as a GPS unit.

Reactions: Winnet and Stew

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I like paper maps for getting an overview and for planning and digital options for getting an accurate location and tracking where I've been. I used to use my phone and OS maps etc, but got tired of the OS maps app being uncooperative and running down the battery on my phone, so last year I got a dedicated GPS unit and other than it being a bit big and hefty, it's been great! I still use paper maps, but I use them for slightly different parts of the job.
And I don't think I'll ever coo over an GPS unit the way I do over paper maps. :)

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I use a smartphone and TopoGPS or Memory Map for All. Smartphone has a better screen, ability to zoom into maps, swap map scales easily and you can plot a route on phone quickly and easily. Drawback is the phone is terrible to use in very wet/snow weather because the screen needs touching and will not respond properly. For those occasions I would use a map and compass.

Reactions: gibson 175

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Isn't the whole map system already UK - centric enough?

So far I am informed, the newest Francis Barker compass model also points to Greenwich.

Breithaupt is working on a compass that points to Kassel though and Cammenga recently developed one that points to Washington.
Unsure if the last Suunto compasses already point to Helsinki. Someone told me that they point to Vantaa, whyever.
Perhaps @TLM can tell us more about it.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I travel a lot so use Outdooractive which is absolutely brilliant. Basically complete OS mapping plus lots of extras depending on what package you go for. I get it free as a MR volunteer but I think I would get it anyway even if I didn’t. I still carry and use a paper map and compass and use OS locate as a back up for grid references etc. It’s free and you don’t need data / Wi-Fi for it to work so is a good back up for areas with poor signal.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Someone told me that they point to Vantaa, whyever.
Well, they have their headquarters there, why not.

I have read that Brits and French had somewhat of a fiǵht over where the 0 meridian should go, London or Paris. For some reason Brits seem to have won.

I think many phones have a flux gate compass inbuilt so that can be easily reprogrammed to show whichever way.

I must admit that I am using phone or small tablet maps more and more, being slightly lazy I often use satellite positioning too. When going in really strange places or so I still carry paper (nowadays often plastic) maps and a an ancient magnetic needle compass.

Reactions: Erbswurst

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
Have
I use a smartphone and TopoGPS or Memory Map for All. Smartphone has a better screen, ability to zoom into maps, swap map scales easily and you can plot a route on phone quickly and easily. Drawback is the phone is terrible to use in very wet/snow weather because the screen needs touching and will not respond properly. For those occasions I would use a map and compass.
Is topogps for your smartphone or a dedicated gps unit .I have always used map and compass for uk eg,dales, wales, lake district,Scotland. Am considering getting gps,phone apps...need to research if its worthwhile

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Have

Is topogps for your smartphone or a dedicated gps unit .I have always used map and compass for uk eg,dales, wales, lake district,Scotland. Am considering getting gps,phone apps...need to research if its worthwhile
It an app for the smart phone. I would save your money and just use an app like TopGPS or Memory Map for All. Better screen, software etc and saves spending out on a GPS unit.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Just ask a local for directions ( if the local accent is loaded on Star Treks’ universal translator) This worked for me in Ireland- except for this guy who, in all sincerity said ‘ well now, if I was you, I wouldn’t start from here.’

• Haha
Reactions: TLM

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Have

Get a free one for your phone and try it out for a while. If that works well for you in principle, but you need better maps, get something with OS maps on it. If you'd rather have a dedicated GPS unit you'll know better what's important to you. Or you might even decide to stick with paper maps

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I use OS maps on my phone for general ‘walking the dog’ type navigation and am quite happy with it, but I always carry a paper map and compass if somewhere I don’t know well - for example when I went to north wales to walk the slate trail a few years ago - but if down around my area of the South Downs I don’t bother.
I used to use a handheld GPS (garmin etrex) which was years old but I haven’t picked that up in a long time (although I used to use it extensively - particularly to track my walks, but a smartphone has superseded that)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I use OS maps on my phone for general ‘walking the dog’ type navigation and am quite happy with it, but I always carry a paper map and compass if somewhere I don’t know well - for example when I went to north wales to walk the slate trail a few years ago - but if down around my area of the South Downs I don’t bother.
I used to use a handheld GPS (garmin etrex) which was years old but I haven’t picked that up in a long time (although I used to use it extensively - particularly to track my walks, but a smartphone has superseded that)
I used to use Map My Run to record walks (mainly for getting the distance walked) and have OS maps open if I thought I’d need/want a better map for the occasional checking of my route options. I’ve recently got a Garmin Instinct 2s for recording walks etc which is great for recording walks and hikes (and can follow gpx routes etc) without draining my phone battery or having to get my phone out all the time.

Reactions: MrEd and gibson 175

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Get a free one for your phone and try it out for a while. If that works well for you in principle, but you need better maps, get something with OS maps on it. If you'd rather have a dedicated GPS unit you'll know better what's important to you. Or you might even decide to stick with paper maps
Via TopoGPS and Memory Map for All you can subscribe to OS maps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE