Which GPS?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Hi,

Could someone please guide me as to which GPS I should look into, as I have no previous knowledge about what to look out for.
I need an easy to use, small and lightweight GPS that can grid reference my current position.
I enjoy hiking, and sometimes I lose track of where I am, so it would be nice to be certain where I am.
Also, I'm looking for a 'reasonably' priced unit.

Thanks for the advise......

Allen

Jan 5, 2006
Cumbria
one of the yellow garmin etrex will do the job. or one of the geko (smaller). Dont spend loads of money on bells and whistles as you just wont use them. I think about £80 ish will sort you.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like Allen said, if you only want it for plotting your position then just get a basic model like the etrex or geko. A Colorado would be a nice bit of kit to own but it wouldn`t get used to its` potential bu me. I keep meaning to get a little geko to stick in the pack for emergencies.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I have a Garmin etrex summit; it's simple, reliable and very easy to add routes and suchlike with something like memory map, they frequently appear on eBay for around £40-50.

I still take a map and compass though!

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
I've used my Garmin Etrex Vista-C extensively and highly reccomend it; or the upgraded version....I even used it while flying to Florida last winter and could tell what towns we went over. I've done lots of geocaching with it and have hunted in some remote areas with confidence.

It gives you:
-color screen so rivers are blue and roads are black
-lots of map capability so you can really "see" where you are
-built in compass, very important as it correctly oreints the map while standing still
-runs on AA batteries

Also take up geocaching, its a great way to practice GPS skills.

A map and compass is for old farts; the compass tells you where north is, and the map shows the lay of the land, but they don't pinpoint where you actually are!

T1tch

Forager
Dec 24, 2007
Cambridgeshire
A map and compass is for old farts; the compass tells you where north is, and the map shows the lay of the land, but they don't pinpoint where you actually are!

I wouldn't go that far - locating your position to within a few yards with a map and compass is very achievable, and not that difficult, and does not rely on batteries to do it!

That said I have a Garmin GPSMap60 and that is mostly what I use, but I still keep my map skills up to speed and a map with me when I’m in the middle of no ware in case the gps lets me down...

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I have a garmin etrex and it does everything I need.Simple to use too.

Others have said it but it bears repeating - carry and be familiar with map and compass.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I first got a Gecko, but maybe get one and use it to check on your mapwork. Orienteering, inc. night, is a great sport for picking up navigation skills. Also, as above, Geocaching will help hone nav skills. It can be as easy, 100yds from your car, or hrs from the car. I have set some cool caches, only thru navigating to the feature first. I have downloaded the megalithic GPS points for my area, some fascinating stuff. Try that as well.

Nick

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
I've used my Garmin Etrex Vista-C extensively and highly reccomend it; or the upgraded version....I even used it while flying to Florida last winter and could tell what towns we went over. I've done lots of geocaching with it and have hunted in some remote areas with confidence.

It gives you:
-color screen so rivers are blue and roads are black
-lots of map capability so you can really "see" where you are
-built in compass, very important as it correctly oreints the map while standing still
-runs on AA batteries

Also take up geocaching, its a great way to practice GPS skills.
I agree. Geocachi ng is very much fun, and something you can get the kids involved in easily

NOT knowing how to use map and compass is for stupid twats. Learn it. It gives you something no GPS in the world can give you: Reliability, accuracy, geodetic info, and lest not forget: a trustworthy wellproven method of navigation and pinpointing where you are all over the globe, that doesn't run on batteries.

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I got an etrex (basic model) recently.

I've had a couple of others - first the all-singing one - it got nicked. Then a cheaper etrex venture - the memory got problems.

So now I have the cheapest. I finally took the advice of a polar explorer who said he always did that :)

one of the yellow garmin etrex will do the job. or one of the geko (smaller). Dont spend loads of money on bells and whistles as you just wont use them. I think about £80 ish will sort you.

Did you know that you can get the temperature on an etrex? Press up and page while turning it on and it goes into service mode - the temperature is there. They need it to correct for crystal speeds.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I picked up a Magellan Sportrak off eBay for £30 or so - shows a grid ref, has basic waypoints (so you can get back to the car), and is waterproof. Don't really need anything more.

There are loads of second hand ones out there - if all you want is a grid ref and some basic waypoints you won't need to spend more than £30-40 on a Garmin eTrex or similar.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I have an old etrex which does exactly what the guys suggest I got fogged out whilst doing the fairlfield horseshoe a few years ago it was re-assuring that this little yellow bit of plastic could tell me roughly where I was. from there I must admit I used my map and compass to get me down.

I have an annoying habit og arguing with it like the one in the car!!!! I think i should know more than it.

On another note Satmap which is fantastic to use with kids as it really gets there interest in terrain and takes there mind of how far they have walked. i would not go out an buy one of these by choice I won mine.

The etrex will do the job just fine.

Andy

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I have already recommended the etrex above and believe it is good and affordable kit. But.... A couple of the lads at work have i-phones which although a bit pricey for me , are also pretty good GPS units on which you can download OS mapping for free. I don't know anyone that has used the OS mapping with the GPS on one but it may be worth considering if you already pay a bit for a contract phone as some do.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

A map and compass will tell you where you are if you now how, Navigation is a skill one well worth learning - no quick fix gizmo will ever replace good old fashioned knowledge.
(I would normally say in my opinion - but its Fact)

taws6

Nomad
Jul 27, 2007
Anglia
Thank you all for your replys.

I can already use a map and compass reasonably well, but in some of the larger woods I tend to walk too far before making note of where I'm at, and then need to find a landmark (can be tricky in the woods!) to confirm my position. The GPS should make 'finding myself' that bit easier.

Seems most of you recommend the Garmin etrex, I'll look into one.

Many thanks for the advise,
Paul.

Shambling Shaman

May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com

I can already use a map and compass reasonably well, but in some of the larger woods I tend to walk too far before making note of where I'm at, and then need to find a landmark (can be tricky in the woods!) to confirm my position. The GPS should make 'finding myself' that bit easier.

Paul.

There can be no sig in heavy woodland or big discrepancies in some cases.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)

Paul.

One thing to look out for is the cable to connect it to a PC. Many GPS models use a proprietary cable, those cables can cost quite a bit (around £20 or more) and don't come bundled with the less expensive models.

Of course if you are never going to connect your GPS to a computer this isn't an issue.

You might also want to look at the Garmin Geko if you are looking to buy a basic model as they are less expensive and smaller than the eTrex but I think that the specs on the eTrex are a bit better (I think the antenna is supposed to be better).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE