Which Backpack Have You Got?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
With me it is not so much a question of "which?" but "how many?".

I go for cheap and cheerful for the most part. It depends how much I want to carry. My most ergonomic and comfortable pack is a Vaude Triset, which claims to be 25 + 4, (rather on the small side for big loads though) so I have a couple of Tesco cheapies for larger load outs that are a damn site more comfortable than all these pseudo military bergens. (and I have tried them out, all time fail for me)

Years gone by and I wanted something truly enormous, I used some or other "barrel bag" from the local market (you don't see them these days) and strapped it to an old pack frame along with whatever, but I was young and foolish then.

Don't ever believe this nonsense about how many litres you can stuff in a pack, it depends upon the shape, the flexibility and sundry other factors the manufacturers would rather gloss over.

I also made a couple of packs of my own in the past, but neither my sewing machine nor my arthritis is up to it these days we are both knackered :(

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
i saw the above photo on the bcusa canvas thread
it looks a lovely pack
i mean prawnsters sorry must of repled same time as mattK with the interesting camo pack

Yeh I go by the name of Wolftooth over there. The username Prawnster was taken and as I wear a wolf's tooth around my neck that's what I went for.

Sent from whatever the coolest gadget is these days.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
That is a nice looking pack, I don't suppose you have a picture of the other side do you? I've had a hankering for one of their Nessmuk packs for a long time. :)

I don't have a pick of the other side but I'll do one tomorrow for you. You mean the straps right?

I had a nessmuk pack once and although it was up to the usual Frost River standards ie outstanding, I personally found it uncomfortably narrow. That could be down to my individual build but I would say if you've got broad shoulders then maybe look at a different pack. The Isle Royale Jnr is very comfortable.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...I don't have a pick of the other side but I'll do one tomorrow for you. You mean the straps right?..."

Yes, thanks. :)

"...I had a nessmuk pack once and although it was up to the usual Frost River standards ie outstanding, I personally found it uncomfortably narrow. That could be down to my individual build but I would say if you've got broad shoulders then maybe look at a different pack. The Isle Royale Jnr is very comfortable. ..."

Good to know, thanks.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Ok Sandbender here's a pic I just took of the straps on this pack.

602bf1db.jpg

Standby for more pics. After I've had me tea I'm going to start a thread with some pics as a sort of 'first impressions' review.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I have a vulcan for taking loads but if I'm honest my favourite is a gelert 65ltr thing that a mate sold me. It's really comfy and well made. It surprised me as I was being snobby about the brand but it really is a great cheap bag.

Mine is a bit older but this seems to be the current one.

Gelert Explorer Rucksack - Olive, 65 Litre
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006OU3F2A/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

Hope Tapatalk formatting doesn't screw the link up.

Sent from my GT-I9000 (ICS Mod) using Tapatalk 2

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Ok Sandbender here's a pic I just took of the straps on this pack.

Standby for more pics. After I've had me tea I'm going to start a thread with some pics as a sort of 'first impressions' review.

Thanks for that, it looks very well put together, not something I'd use for a serious trek, but just the job for the odd few days in the woods. :)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Thanks for that, it looks very well put together, not something I'd use for a serious trek, but just the job for the odd few days in the woods. :)

No problem bud.

Yeh I'm not a trekking kind of guy, not any more anyway. I tab a few miles into the woods and chill out :)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have a vulcan for taking loads but if I'm honest my favourite is a gelert 65ltr thing that a mate sold me. It's really comfy and well made. It surprised me as I was being snobby about the brand but it really is a great cheap bag.

Mine is a bit older but this seems to be the current one.

Gelert Explorer Rucksack - Olive, 65 Litre
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006OU3F2A/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_gb?ie=UTF8

Hope Tapatalk formatting doesn't screw the link up.

Sent from my GT-I9000 (ICS Mod) using Tapatalk 2

According to the amazon blurb, it comes with a lifetime guarantee too - quite impressive!

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
I've got a Lowe alpine alpine attack 50 for day and up to a week use. A Lowe alpine alpamayo 70+20 for long distance/long trips

Wouldn't swap either. Tough, comfy and big.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE