Which Backpack Have You Got?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Five

Jun 3, 2011
Birmingham
I've got a Karrimor Predator 45 + two side pouches. It's not light (2.7kg) but it's 75 Litres capacity and well made. I'm 5'9" and it's a comfortable fit on my back (up to 20kg). I was a bit cagey about spending £150 on a rucksack but I'm pleased I did!

Last edited:

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
374315_2558939063068_1541778433_32598690_1044550492_n.jpg

Lowe Alpine Sting... I just find out! Bought it used in army surplus store. They were used by Hungarian army and can take some serious loads on it. My liking for it is you can actually adjust every single strap to fit you body. When properly fitted it is very light on your back. Love it.

MandaPanda

Jul 24, 2011
Sussex
I've tried quite a few packs and have to say for me, Osprey makes the most comfortable ones and NI Patrol pack (short back) most uncomfortable.
You really need to try them on with weights to be sure.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Im looking for a good pack thatll hold everything for a few days but is a strong and solid pack that can take a beating as my spacial awareness isnt best just wondering what you guys have got and any recommendations you might have

Crux AK47

kektura_15.jpg

£140, just under your budget, its made from a Kevlar/Cordura weave, it takes the knocks on the outside with a shrug and I can squeeze a huge amount into it knowing that the seams will take the stress.

Only two back sizes are available, mine fits me like a glove and has clocked up about three and a half thousand miles overland so far. :)

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Im looking for a good pack thatll hold everything for a few days but is a strong and solid pack that can take a beating as my spacial awareness isnt best just wondering what you guys have got and any recommendations you might have

It all depends i believe on how long or far you intend to carry it for. For climbing i have a berghaus arete 35ltr, for walking (hill walking) a berghaus bioflex (measured in shop and walked round with beanbags of weigh in it for a while) 75ltr comfortable for days, and for going the woods and bushcrafty nights away a good old shortback issue Bergen.

Not one will do all im afraid. If i took my berghaus to the woods it wood probably shred to pieces, however humping an issue bergen around for days no thanks (i have done for years and hate it).

Just a thought. Jim

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Another Lowe alpine sting here. As said before very comfy (fully adjustable back system), can take huge weight and very, very tough. Perfect. Can be bought for around £80, so well under budget too.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Oh man! Imagedude must be doing his nut with all these photos of items attached to THE OUTSIDE of their packs.

Hahaha ! ....the same thing crossed my mind .....& not a pair of skis, crampons or climbing robe to be seen.....what a bunch of 'knobbers' we are..:rofl:

Would just like to thank & congratulate folk on this thread, you're putting up some great rucky pics & in their natural enviroment too. :You_Rock_

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I traded up from a Sabre 45 to a Lowe Alpine Sting.

Both good bags, but I could never get the Sabre 100% comfy...The Sting is fully adjustable and, once set up, you don't notice the weight.

For hillwalking, I use a Deuter ACT Lite...very comfy, but not a bushcrafting bag!

Simon

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Got an Karrimor Alpiniste S 45+10 that I've used for yonks, it's about 10 years old now but really tough and comfortable, that comes at a price though, it's about 1.8kg.

Shewie mentioned the Osprey Exos here and from looking around at reviews I'm quite impressed, it looks a nice pack for 1kg. I'm probably going to have a crack at making a DIY pack or get either the Osprey or a GoLite Jam.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Issue bergen (longback) with side pockets. I'm not a fan of gear on the outside of my pack and this is more than big enough to store all my gear. Good thing is that you can compress the pack to just the size you need rather than filling it with gear you don't need. As has been mentioned, a lot of people don't like it over distance but I can't complain about it. It seems to just fit me right.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I love my Craghoppers Dri-pac 50. I picked it up at a sale in Portsmouth some years ago on a whim after having done extentive research and having come up with nothing to really suit my needs. I don't know if they are still available. It is big enough to take what I really need for a week-long trip but not big enough so that unnecessary luxuries can creep in. It has a separatable fold down drybag which is a godsend and a dynamic strap system which makes it very comfortable to carry. Is has an adjustable back system which I had to experiment with to get right. The only downside is its weight empty, but it feels light enough loaded and makes my usual load of 12-15 kilos easy. A few weeks ago I did a three-day trek with it with no problems.

There are some good suggestions on previous posts, but I'd warn against getting anything too big as there is always the temptation to put in extras. However, I stuggled for years with a climbing pack which was too small and not really suitable for walking long distances. As someone above has said, make sure the pack fits you, Research on line, check out your shortlist by visiting a good shop and trying them on. Take your time, you'll be carrying it a lot longer and you'll grow to love it or hate it. If you don't get it right first time you'll end up buying again!

i'm using a Rugged River Wilderness explorer pack at the moment first time i have veered away from army surplus bergens and its a nice change i mut say. needs a bit more thinking investing in the packing as it has no frame but i like it a lot.
Before this i used a karrimor predator 50ltr but it got munched on by rats i managed to strip down my winter kit to fit intot this pack which i was quite proud of. or a norweigen army surplus pack but it wasn't quite to my liking so now Lisa uses it when she joins me
some where i still have my web tex bergen lurking whilst i have changed my style and weight of kit i like to have it about still

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
DPM Lowe alpine sting for me too. Took me a while experimenting with different back lengths but easily adjusted.
Takes all my kit and lots of webbing to add additional pockets etc. Great piece of kit.

Roy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE