What's your winter project ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I am only just getting to grips with my autumn projects.....
canvas bucket,- made and very effective.... raised fire stand (out of a large sweetie tin and wombled steel piping for the legs) - made but not tried... home made charcoal (in a large sweety tin on our open fire in the living room....) - first burn tonight... slate knife and arrow head (they are done and the knife was used to cut up pork and pigskin for the sunday roast - very effective!)
I also need to make stock of my Dragons Breath flint and steel firelighting sets, leather pouches and knives for sale....
Busy, busy, busy!

Any chance of some photos John please, especially the slate knife & arrow head? ;)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Revised winter list:

Goretex Bivi Alterations (making a hooped bivi project)
Bush chair from Hessian sack or nylon (pending sourcing)
Scales for my knife blank (bought from wanderingblade not long ago with all material ready to be done)
full circle Cloaks for the wife and kids (have 8m X 1.75m of twill wool and clasps ;) )
finally if all goes well i've got a wood carving project on the go too, more on that after xmas.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
my slate discoidal knife and arrowhead
slateknifeandarrowhead.jpg

The kinife works atreat - though it needs touching up quite often - and I have used it very successfullly on card, cloth, leather, hide and meat!
I have started my basket weaving - it is a lot harder and uses a lot more brambles than I would have thought!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Lots of knife making and keeping the woodburner supplies stocked up.

Some more forging too making a new knife for me this time, but I might make a start on that one before xmas as I cant wait. Going to have a go at making a batch of steel strickers for flint and steel kits too.

A mask for my Hult bruks needs doing.

But to be honest over the xmas holidays my favorite thing to do is take a pack up box of left overs, and go for loads of local walks. If theres snow even better, and I might pop up Kinder scout and a trip out on the train.

Stryker

Tenderfoot
Aug 5, 2008
Durham
I'd be really interested to see how your fruit press turns out Tony. I'm going to concentrate on growing fruit on my allotment next year, with an aim to bottling lots of wine and beer.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Well i started another project to make up a canvas pack , like the Rugged river ones. Will put up some pic's as i go.

Cheers Topknot

rivermom

Tenderfoot
Jan 19, 2008
Sligo, Ireland
I have just finished pruning my willow fedges, and I hope that Lostboy and I will get around to making a coracle. Provided the dear lad does not just commandeer all my osiers to make baskets with.
Apart from that, my craft work of late has all been of the more civilised type, rather than bushcraft. Tonight I am making the christmas decorations; paper scissors glue.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
A .22 pack rifle. Bought an old Ruger 10-22 just for the receiver. Bobbed the fore-end on a folding stock, installed sling swivels, and relieved the barrel channel to accommodate a lightweight bull barrel with a threaded end. I already have three 25-round magazines, an Aimpoint sight, and a screw-on suppressor, and am waiting for another pay check or two before ordering a better trigger. Hopefully it'll be a light, accurate, quiet rifle that'll fit in a pack.

Last edited:

red dreads

Nov 14, 2009
Eilean a Cheo
In the last gale we had,a Birch blew down , it's about 12 ft tall . So am going to strip as much bark as I can, for pouch tinder and have a bash at making my first Kuksa. The small branches I'm going to cut and bundle together to save on firelighters in my range and there's possibly a couple of long straight side branches that maybe of use as walking sticks. Well thats the plan.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Swatting up on Interesting info about plants... getting pretty good with edibles and poisonous, pretty good with shrooms too, but there's ALWAYS more to learn, and really only just dipping my toe into the medicinal qualities of foragables... And mostly writing a business plan. Hope to be opening a cafe/restaurant using as much wild game/foraged stuff as possible, with a view to running wild food walks/courses etc from it too... No doubt I shall be up to my eyeballs in paperwork. :/ Hope it's worth it!

Oh, and making wine out of everything I can lay my hands on too. ;) The gorse is looking pretty good.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Today was bitter cold and windy, so, inspired by this thread, I sat by the fire and finished my latest project, a lightweight, accurate, quiet, reliable survival rifle. Tomorrow I'll see how it shoots. Picture it behind the seat of a bushplane headed north. :)

IMG_3334.jpg

Last edited:

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Today was bitter cold and windy, so, inspired by this thread, I sat by the fire and finished my latest project, a lightweight, accurate, quiet, reliable survival rifle. Tomorrow I'll see how it shoots. Picture it behind the seat of a bushplane headed north. :)

IMG_3334.jpg

Beautiful!
happy0034.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE