What's your winter project ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, My project this year is to make myself a hooped Aussie swag like the one in the photo, but instead of using canvas i got me 5 meter by 1.45 meter of DPM gortex cloth at a cheap price to make it in.
I've got some idea in my mind to start with.

jardineswag.jpg

Keep you all posted

Cheers Topknot

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
My winter projects are:
A canvas/leather rucksack (DIY Duluth)
A swanni-type shirt from some Shetland wool fabric I've got
An archery armguard in leather and antler

Can't hang about here - best get started...

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Clay pigeon shooting for me, just started and hoping that I can put a good few hours in to get to grips with it and decide if its for me before I splash out on a gun.

I have an old axe that was excellent, I broke the handle on it, also found a chunk of ash that looks like it might make a good handle.

I want to make plaster moulds to pour rubber fishing lures, i can see this stinking the house out though

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm having a crack at putting a knife and sheath together from a set I got off Hillbill. That and sorting out some kind of cover for my canoe in the garden.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i still havent finished my spoon from the bushcraft course i attended this year so hopefully when the rain stops one lazy sunday afternoon ill get to work on that....plus wombling for wood for my woodburner i should be getting installed next week

TeeGeeBee

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2009
South Lakes
:rolleyes: Apart from finding a job and providing I get what's on my Christmas list. People actually asked me what I wanted this year. I'll be taking my first stab at carving some spoons. If I make a fare fist of that, it's onto cups. After that, I thought I'd run for president of a universe, yet to be known.

TGB

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Actually topknot my winter project is very similar. i'm turning the standard OD army goretex bivvi into a hooped bivvi.
i'll be creating a zipper closer on it, possibly some mesh so i won't suffocate and a single hoop for one end. should be good i reckon ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Basket weaving, wooden plate, wooden mug, some more forging, a canoe paddle and a flat bow.....if the winter is long enough!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm going to modify my Nimblewill stove. Want to make it slightly wider. This means cutting a new back and bottom plate. I have the stainless steel sheet, the cutting discs...now need to find the time.

Incidentally, for thos who are putting a hoop on their bivvis, what are you using for the hoop? I was thinking of a couple of thin fibreglass tent poles, cut down slightly, so when taken out they can fold up in the bag.

Joe

Need to contact Admin...
Carrying on the same list I've had on the go for the last 12 years. It never gets any shorter because new things get added on the end.

One of the big projects that'll keep me going for a bit is a full buckskin hunting suit complete with fringing and rubber soled moccasins. All the rage for 2010 I've heard...

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
I'm very tempted to make a bivi bag, of some description.

No idea about making a knife etc but may give a bushsaw a go.

Found a couple suppliers of 'breathable waterproof fabric', going to get some samples first though.

Worth a look

Try here too

And another one

HTH

Al

I had the idea in my mind , i was going to make it out of Ventile but it was to much to buy :eek:. I was out shopping with the wife , follow her into a shop that sale nets and cloth (to get out of the rain) there was a roll of DPM , ask how much the lady said £7 per meter (i do not think the lady knows what it was) so i got me some.

Looks like some good stuff being made this winter and ready for next year
Cheers Topknot

Last edited:

Jusali

May 22, 2008
Bristol
Clay pigeon shooting for me, just started and hoping that I can put a good few hours in to get to grips with it and decide if its for me before I splash out on a gun.

I have an old axe that was excellent, I broke the handle on it, also found a chunk of ash that looks like it might make a good handle.

I want to make plaster moulds to pour rubber fishing lures, i can see this stinking the house out though

I don't know your skill levels, so no offence if you already know but I saw your post and immediately thought of this:
A couple of demostrations here for axe handle making

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=097dbcc5d47d684a9ea3301dc072d246

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well, i need to sort the shed out, get the greenhouse finished and then i'm going to make myself a fruit press ready for next year. Something nice and sturdy suing a bottle jack :D I've also told my boy we'll make some wooden swords :swordfigh

Jusali

May 22, 2008
Bristol
I want to perfect a hobo stove I have started assembling also I want to make a coke can type meths burner to use in it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE