What's your winter project ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
My plan is to keep hitting the car boot sales to pick up more of the tools I still need for the workshop, with a view to going self employed. Other than that I want to potter about with more carving and spend more nights out while there aren't any midges.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Well I'm planning on buying some basswood to do some whittling with. I'm going to attempt a ball in cage. I also want to make a hobo stove which I've been meaning to make for quite a while. Oh and then the little job of moving! (further into the city...:aargh4:)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
my to do list is currently;

• (done) Tidy up the 'boatshed' and get the lighting/flooring/heating sorted in the workshop bit.
  • (done) Make a removable sailing thwart, seat clamp style probably...
  • (done) Figure out a mast foot 'cos as we've p
    censored.gif
    d off Dave at Endless River so he wont sell the vinyl ones he does as part of his kit.
  • Figure out a leeboard
  • Handle a nice scandi stick tang I got from a guy in Finland
  • Handle a couple of full tang canadian boat knives from Stu Barker
  • (done) Rework (slightly) the blade thickness and finish on the boat knives
  • Make 3 sheaths for the above and one for my bushy
  • Make a wet moulded pouch a la MK (well try to...)
  • Make an add on for my quiver incorporating the above wet moulded pouch
  • Figure out how to fit a couple of loops for attaching my waterproof to my pack
  • Still fancy making a paddle...
Cheers,

Alan

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am only just getting to grips with my autumn projects.....
canvas bucket,- made and very effective.... raised fire stand (out of a large sweetie tin and wombled steel piping for the legs) - made but not tried... home made charcoal (in a large sweety tin on our open fire in the living room....) - first burn tonight... slate knife and arrow head (they are done and the knife was used to cut up pork and pigskin for the sunday roast - very effective!)
I also need to make stock of my Dragons Breath flint and steel firelighting sets, leather pouches and knives for sale....
Busy, busy, busy!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I want to make a hiking pole/walking stick. I've got a good supply of yew in the shed all dried out and seasoned.
Trying to think of what to carve on the pommel of the handle. It'll have to be something simple - never done any kind of sculpture carving before. Would love to do something like a squirrel, with its tail winding down the handle. But I think that may be a little ambitious for a first attempt. I'll probably do something simple like an acorn or something. Anyone got any good ideas?

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
A couple of Heineken mini keg stoves, learn some more knots, waterproof my polski tipi, do some carving and probably a ton of other stuff.

Now, back to emptying that keg :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Finish the two tent stoves I'm (still.....) making. Both are stainless steel bodied with titanium roll-up stovepipes and fitted with dampers. Ember screens are stainless steel.

One is a fold flat, rectangular stove sized between the Kifaru Para-Stove and Small-Stove, whilst the other is a cylinder stove which is even smaller, and far easier and quicker to set up.

Both are for use in my Pyramid Tarp, or as I call it, the Pyromid!
happy0054.gif

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I want to make a small, backpack sized winarski rocket stove. I've got everything I need except the vermiculite. Hope to get started soon.

Wayland: Looks like you have a substantial amount of pirate gear, and I might add some very nice looking gear at that.

Note to anyone wanting to make a pepsi can stove: First of all, get the templates from the Zen Stove website -- they are excellent. Secondly, there are two basic types of pepsi can stoves, the open topped kind and the closed top, double walled kind. Of the closed top, double walled variety, there are 2 versions: The top burner and the side burner. My advice to you, is that the materials are so easy to come by, make all of them.

Don't mess about trying to bond them together, as some websites call for. Simply press fit them together with your hands. Put the bottom can on the OUTSIDE and they will never leak. Believe it or not I've seen them made the other way around.

Also, never mind the putting of insulation or vermiculite in the can or between the walls of the can. Totally unnecessry, and can reduce efficiency. I've made them both ways.

I have made and given away many of these stoves. So, I have some experience here.
The biggest problem I had was experimenting with burner hole size. Some of the things that you will be told on the internet are rubbish. Some, (certainly not all) of the stoves on youtube and other stove videos, are working so poorly it is laughable.

Hole size is most critical on side burners. Too big, and you will melt your stove. Trust me I've done it.

The best thing that I have found is simply to locate someone who sells Dremel tools. They will have various accessories, one of which is a set of tiny drill bits. The smallest bit in the case is perfect. I like about 24 equidistant holes.

Good luck. If you play around with it long enough, you will end up with a stove that is amazingly light, much stronger than you would ever imagine, cost you little of nothing, and works so fantastically well your friends will be amazed. By the way they are very fuel efficient.

Some last random thoughts: Open top stoves do not need a priming pan. Closed top stoves do. I use a canning jar lid. It takes very little fuel to prime. Just a few drops.

get a small plastic (so it wont break) graduated cylinder and measure your fuel. Practice, and time with a watch until you know how much fuel you need to do a given job. Say, boil a cup of water for tea.

I don't save my left over alcohol (meths). My reasoning, and it may be incorrect, is that the left over fuel may be more watery than what you started out with. That the alcohol may separate from the water as it is heating and leave an excess of water behind. Perhaps someone with a degree in chemistry might confirm or deny this. This is the reason you want to measure your fuel, have enough plus a bit extra and no more. Less waste.

In cold weather, you may find that the ground is wicking away the heat from the stove and it may falter and not generate gas well. The cure is simple,you have to insulate the bottom of the can. Almost any, poor heat conductor will work. So far my most elegant solution is to glue a foam padded mouse pad onto the bottom of the can and then use a razor blade, exacto knife etc to trim off the excess. Stays with the stove. protects one side of it, and works great.

Unless your fairly mechanical, your first stove will probably not be too pretty and may not work well, just keep making them until you get it right. (I like to cut the cans in two with a dremel tool with a heavy duty disk.)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I'm going to try and make a knife, all the bits arrived yesterday, just need to accquire a few extra tools ten i can make a start.

Have never attempted anything like this before and am quite looking forward to doing it :)

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
Apart from routine stuff like geting the outboard serviced and trying to keep sane in this darkness before the permanent snow arrives....well no real projects. Winter is my favourite time of year, so spare time is spent out and about.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
i need to make a new sheath for my knife as the one i made originally is naff!

- make a knife for a competition out of a file.

re-handle my kent pattern axe - which will be interesting to say the least.

start making a stock pile of forged items for the summer.

revise for exams

finish the longhouse

not get fat from xmas pud! :D

andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE