What's your favourite campfire tipple?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Armagnac...anytime, anyplace, anywhere :)

Best regards,
Paul.

PS: Wish I liked the 'water of life' but I made myself very ill with it once as a boy, even the smell still makes me feel at little queasy (alas).

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
Rusty nails, or honey toddys in the colder nights. Port and brandy washed down with murphys for the rest of the year. fil

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
TheGreenMan said:
PS: Wish I liked the 'water of life' but I made myself very ill with it once as a boy, even the smell still makes me feel at little queasy (alas).

Same here originally... But I persevered. :) Took me a while though. Funnily enough, it was bourbon that provided the route back, although I don't drink the stuff anymore...

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
unless I'm willing to get up in the wee small hours, I stay clear of anything with 'volume' to it... but I'm partial to a nip of Jamesons, or if I want something more warming a nip of Jamesons, surrounded by milky hot chocolate.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
gregorach said:
Same here originally... But I persevered. :) Took me a while though. Funnily enough, it was bourbon that provided the route back, although I don't drink the stuff anymore...

Funnily enough, Dunc, my eyes do occasionally hover over the bottles of bourbon at the supermarket, and I wonder if I should…and perseverance is a desirable quality in a bushcrafter :D

Best regards,
Paul.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
The only fire I ever get to sit round is the gas powered one in the sitting room, but when I do I like to have a nice bottle of mead. Lindisfarne if possible but the really cheap (£3.99 I believe) Harvest Gold stuff from Morrisons aint half bad.

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
I've always liked a good 18year Glenmorangy, nothing better around the fire. And plus you sleep like the honoured dead. ;)

Oh, see this Golden Crop, Is it actual mead? I can'y find any suppliers

Wassail

Thorfinn

For many years as a young wild lad I drank anything alcoholic from Fine Fares cheapest bottle of whisky (at that time it was "old Inverness") to vodka, pernod, saki, home made poteen, and in my deepest darkest depths methylated spirits and orange juice...and as one got older I progressed onto an experiment in madness and consciousness when Absythne was truly my favourite drink for years; one can say a fitting green lady for a green man,and yes before you ask...you do really need to drink a whole bottle in one drinking before you start to hallucinate!

As life progressed and became more stable (mentally and vocationally ), my tastes always fell back to the darker deeper malts that resembled the waters I paddle on. And to this day my finest favourite tipple must be a 25 year old Bhunnahabhain from Islay although today I have to suggest that my younger years have caught up on me and my grumbling ulcer prevents me from enjoying that tipple as much as I would like and this may be my saving grace!

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
Thorfinn said:
I've always liked a good 18year Glenmorangy, nothing better around the fire. And plus you sleep like the honoured dead. ;)

Oh, see this Golden Crop, Is it actual mead? I can'y find any suppliers

Wassail

Thorfinn

Hmm never heard of Golden Crop

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I dont really drink all that much now,but I do enjoy a nice bourbon now and then.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
kk lol no worries Thorfinn. Em yeah its real mead just not the top quality, probably why each bottle can taste a little different they probably use whatever honey they can get their hands on, allthough I've never had a bad bottle. I know Morrisons sell it, well at least in consett they do. I just happened to have a bottle to hand and its bottled by CWF LTD, HD2 1YY, UK. If that helps at all.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
I know you can get it on their official website at quite a reasonable price, below £9 I think. Its so smooth and tastes amazing, a friend got me a bottle for by 18th. Luckily theres a shop in the metrocentre called frizzywigs where I can buy it when and as I need it.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i like celtic mead. very nice.
also tallisker 14yr old distillers reserve.
and cock o' the north. a fine liquer of single malt and blaeberry plus a secret ingredient.

In Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada, if you go backcountry camping, you are not allowed to bring any glass containers or tin cans. I will occasionally bring in a tin can of food, or cans of beer, but of course make sure I bring them out (shhh...). But on one occasion, I thought I would bring in a box of wine instead of bottle to be responsible.

The next morning I woke up with a warthog dancing in my cranium, or so I thought. Boxed wine tends to contain lots of sulphites I suspect - I had an evil hangover. I will never do that again!

If anything, I'll decant a nice bottle of wine into a Nalgene bottle.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE