What's your every day pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I carry a British Army issue all metal (as in without the horrid black plastic scales) clasp knife. It's as hard as nails, virtually unbreakable, so square ended that it doesnt look offensive...holds an edge as well as the next knife and does everything I need it too.

I think I got it in a car boot sale many years ago for about 50p and have seen heaps more in car boot sales for about the same price since.

So as my every day knife it's the most likely to be lost and at 50p I simply don't care...I'll wait till the weekend and go spend another 50p on another one :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Carried a SAK for over 30 years.Never found anything I liked better(that is street legal :p )I used to carry a Buck Hunter as well until the legal system turned it into a fixed blade. :(

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
This one recently jumped into my pocket and seems to want to stay there. :)

mtmancoco1b.jpg

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Used to be an Opinel 8. Only carry it now if out of townand in need of it, due to UK law.

Now a Taylors Eyewitness 2 blade sheepfoot/pen. My dad bought me one when I was 10, and this is the first replacement (last year)

I have a Loveless City Knife as a "dress" pocketknife, but I don't dress up that often...

Jim.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
I work at the local college, so I'm on half term this week and have spent it at home or walking locally, so my this has been my pocket knife :D

Gene Ingram Pocket Shortcut Wharncliffe
geneingram_pw_2.JPG

Slips nicely into a pocket...
geneingram_pw_4.JPG

Back to work on Monday :( (but at least I'll still have My Spyderco UK Penknife :D )

Hellz

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey

Recently one of these. A Victorinox Bantam. One of my wisdom teeth is coming through and I keep getting food stuck in the hole. The toothpick come in really handy.
Sad, but true!

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Borderreiver,

BorderReiver said:
Bagheera, that - Dozier Arkansas Traveller (K31) is a stunning looking knife. :D

Yep :D , it's a very beautiful knife, just functional beauty and sharp as a scalpel and the size is just perfect for daily carry it doesn’t attract attention of the “sheeple”.
Bob Dozier's Kydex cross draw sheath is just perfect, it holds the knife very securely and easy accessible and also lets the knife blend in with your belt region ;)

Best Scouting wishes,

Bagheera

S

Smithy

I've always been of the opinion that a good EDC should be a folding sigle blade as they're reliable, portable and normaly reasonably priced.

Many knives for every day use have passed through my hands over the years and they've all been single blade folders: an Okapi, a Whitby (piece of over priced crap), various Opinals, a Taylors' Eye Witness (probably the best knife I've ever owned) and countless 'no-name' folders both slip joint and locking blades. I have never had reason to change this tried and tested fomula.

Until the other day... I was sitting outside a bar with two friends when one of them tells me how, whilst on a campsite in the south of France, he was approached by a group of girls looking for a corkscrew. As he always carries a Leathermans Sideclip he was of no use to them so they wandered over to a group of lads in the next tent who were better equipped. I said "what are the chances, eh?" And Friend number two pipes up and says the same thing happened to him eith a couple of polish girls on a beach over here. :eek:

Next day I put my Opinel No.7 in the draw and bought a shiny new SAK Waiter. So is a corkscrew the way to Euro-Bird heaven? We shall see.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Smithy said:
I said "what are the chances, eh?" And Friend number two pipes up and says the same thing happened to him with a couple of Polish girls on a beach over here. :eek:

Yes, but luckily I had my Victorinox Rucksack with me.
And I got their fire going for them.... :cool:

Its almost a shame my wife and daughter were with me......

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
In urban areas, I'll always have a Spyderco UK Penknife in my pocket, and an SAK Camping (which includes a saw) in my bag. Out in the field, I always carry a fixed blade knife, usually a mora.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Hoodoo said:
This one recently jumped into my pocket and seems to want to stay there. :)

mtmancoco1b.jpg

That's a very nice looking Knife there Hoodoo.... I'm presuming that pic was taken when you first got it as it looks brand new...lol No way I could keep my everyday knife looking so spotless! :eek: I keep it clean and sharp but as I'm using it for work everyday it just won't stay shiney!

Lovely looking knife though Mate :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, I just got it. I've only had it for about a week. It came fairly sharp but I worked the edge a bit with a diamond hone and now it's awesomely sharp. :) This knife has really caputred my fancy. :) It goes where I go. :)

I have another that is very similar but it's a little too fancy for EDC and it's heavier than the cocobolo model.

queenmtman1b.jpg

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
I have an Opinel 5 which I carry for everydas use, which I chose because it is legal (I think??). Blade length under 3 inches and no locking mechanism! It's not the perfect knife for bushcrafty things, but for everyday use for anything that may require the use of a knife, it does me well!!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Daniel, your knife is legal if it doesn't have the twisty collar.

I imagine that an opinel without the collar could be a bit dangerous as the pivot on mine sometimes get's very loose.

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Stew said:
Daniel, your knife is legal if it doesn't have the twisty collar.

I imagine that an opinel without the collar could be a bit dangerous as the pivot on mine sometimes get's very loose.

Opinels from 5 downwards have no 'twisty collar', which is why I chose the no.5 , as it's the largest legal opinel. I did think about it getting loose without a locking collar, but everyday usage of the knife shouldn't be too stenuous on it. If I were to buy an opinel for taking out camping etc, I think i'd pobably get a larger one with a locking collar

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
It's not the strain put on it that makes it go loose, it's the wood shrinking.
If mine gets wet it's a real pain to open due to swelling but it can go to the other extreme and have no resistance at all.

Stew said:
It's not the strain put on it that makes it go loose, it's the wood shrinking.
If mine gets wet it's a real pain to open due to swelling but it can go to the other extreme and have no resistance at all.
I remember my favourite No8 which I had modified so I could open it single handed as I used it a lot up ladders and in lighting rigs. It was all very well until I put my hand into my pocket one day and slid the very sharp blade a good 3/4" up my finger tip :( Mind you, I still have a No9 that slips into my pocket when I have good reaqson and value for money I still say they are hard to beat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE