What's your every day pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Leatherman Juice (the blue one). I was not a big fan of Leathermans but I won this on the web site and now am a total convert. As well as being very useful it is legal as the blade does not lock. Of course saying that I fancy a wave or the new XTi but it annoyes me how much more we pay than the US. I will just have to try and win one from the web site ;-)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
No one has more than Hoodoo :eek:):

Trust me he has these cases too and probably at least one example of every matchcase ever designed.... :shock:

I really like small cottage industry pieces of kit like these cases from Keith. A good solid design made by a couple. Their goal to provide excellent service and excellent products to support outdoor folks. If Keith could get a supply of reliable button compasses he would be in fat city.

I think the recent trend to stick a button compass on zipper pulls, lighters, and a host of other junk has reduced the quality of the compasses to near unusable levels of performance. Keith stands behind his cases even though the compass quality is out of this hands. He just will not sell one that does not work...unlike a bunch of retailers.

I can tell you that these cases are worth seeking out. I do not know of a better design....even if the compass does not work these cases can be passed on for generations.

Getting one in the UK may be difficult. I know Keith personally and can assist if you need. PM me and we can talk. I cannot promise delivery as the compass issue is very problematic, but if possible I will help get some over the water. I have been encouraging a non-compass model, but Keith likes it the way it is and there you go.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
you'd sell them in seconds either with or without the compass! They are of an exellent design and quality.There is nothing even vaguely comparable over here.what sort of cost are they, The shipping for a couple of dozen would only be about $11 ( :oops: going on the shipping of my wifes latest Coach handbag)

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
66400.gif

My everyday knife: Victorinox Workchamp with the handles changed to green. (the picture isn't very good, because it's just a part of a bigger one that wasn't good either :icon_redf, plus the compression)

Schwert, can you get Recta, Suunto or Silva watch compasses where you are? Because if they're as good as their bigger brothers, they'd be excellent (Suunto ones are made by Recta). He could just seperate the compass from the watch clip and use that in the case.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Wow, thanks for your reply Schwert. That is an amazing little collection of match cases there. I particularly like the silver aluminium one. I shall send you a PM to discuss these further. And if a wait is required for Keith to find suitable compasses, then I believe it will be a worth while wait. Thanks.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
ANDYLASER said:
Wow, thanks for your reply Schwert. That is an amazing little collection of match cases there. I particularly like the silver aluminium one. I shall send you a PM to discuss these further. And if a wait is required for Keith to find suitable compasses, then I believe it will be a worth while wait. Thanks.

Andy, if you are able to get any of these through Schwerts help then put me down for at least three.

:-D

I think the BB contingent, being perhaps a little more gadget-obsessive would snap up a job lot of them quicker than Ultimate Penknives!

:wink:

Danzo

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
These really are great little matchcases. Sadly I only have this one but I do have an aluminium model on the way.

Matchcase2.jpg

Schwert and Hoodoo have the most.

S

Strider

How waterproof are those, rather tasty looking, match safes??
Cheers.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
ANDYLASER said:

Reading this, I thought "what have I got to do with compasses?" :dunno:

When I was in the scouts, we used to take a bunch of matches, and melt candle was over the heads. Waterproofs them, and the wax provides extra fuel so that once you get past the head, they burn longer and hotter that just the wood.

Keith.

Jon

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 28, 2003
England, half way down
Douglas said:
Schwert, can you get Recta, Suunto or Silva watch compasses where you are? Because if they're as good as their bigger brothers, they'd be excellent (Suunto ones are made by Recta). He could just seperate the compass from the watch clip and use that in the case.

Doesn't America have some odd business wranglings between the compass manufacturers ? I think it goes something like this :

In America a distribution company has the rights to the name Silva Compasses and so gets Recta to make them and adds a label saying Silva.

The Swedish compass manufacturer called Silva cannot use its own name on items sold in America and so has to use the name Brunton instead

Both make very good compasses, but its not surprising Mr Lunders has trouble sourcing these things.

By the way, if these matchcases were to become available I would be very interested.

Jon.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Strider said:
How waterproof are those, rather tasty looking, match safes??
Cheers.

They have double O rings in the lid that have a perfect and smooth fit so they are very waterproof. I wouldn't trust it diving but it will keep your matches dry in the rain.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
These cases are of excellent design. The double O-rings combined with the twist cord tension arrangement makes for a very certain seal. These are available in brass or black anodized aluminum, 76 and 29g respectively. This plug is far easier to open with cold hands than a screw cap design IMO.

Keith retails these direct from his home in Idaho, and if you all got together and placed an order this may minimize shipping costs. I will assist if needed but Keith is a great guy, and if he did not have compass issues would be able to deliver right away.

These sell for somewhere around $20 each, and are well worth the money.

I have sent Andy a PM with some more information, please let me know if you need anything. I will be contacting Keith this week and see what he has to say about availability prospects and international orders.

Keith has tried all sorts of compasses from all the brand names...real Silva Sweden AB, Silva made by Suunto Finland, Brunton made by Silva, Nexus made by Brunton, Brunton made by Brunton,........ :roll: yeah it is confusing over here, but Keith keeps trying.

The silver is unanodized aluminum and no longer available.

I think Glen is correct, diving is probably out, but reasonable submersion is covered. I have dunked my cases in about a foot of water overnight with no water getting by the rings.

S

Strider

Schwert said:
I have dunked my cases in about a foot of water overnight with no water getting by the rings.

s'all I wanted to hear :-D

Has he ever tried the brass NATO compass by pyser-SGI. I believe they're pretty decent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE