What's your day hike kit?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
moduser said:
packet of soap (usually Waitrose Tomato & Basil)

:eek: Really? ;) ;)

OK, my daypack for journeys to / from work (there's a bit of a walk at one end) currently contains:

Waterproof jacket + overtrousers
Warm hat
Sealskinz water / wind proof gloves
First Aid Kit
Knife (Opinel No 6, non-locking)
Pen and paper
Spare rolling papers
Poly bag or two for gathering

For a day hike, I'd add:

Water bottle ('58 pattern)
Food

Optional kit depending on weather, location and inclination:
Change the knife for either Opinel No 8 or my PB "Graduate" + firesteel (or both)
Tinder pouch
Spare fleece
Themos of tea
Brew kit (Crusader mug / cooker, + greenheat, teabags, sugar, etc)
Pre-Mac Pocket Travel Well (lives in a PLCE canteen pouch with above brew kit)
Map + compass
Laplander saw
Shemagh
Hank of 3mm gear cord
Camera

Of course, I always have my phone, tobacco, two packets of rolling papers and two lighters in my pockets.

Kit that should be there but isn't: ;)
Emergency survival bag
Whistle
Signal mirror

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
moduser said:
packet of soap (usually Waitrose Tomato & Basil)

Ummm. do you mean soup? I hope so - if they're doing tomato and basil flavoured soap I could get confused in the shower... :yuck:

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
addyb said:
I hope this doesn't sound rude guys, but in my opinion, you guys carry FAR too much kit with you. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I have to say, from what I've read on this thread so far, I think I've probably got one of the lightest packs. (So Far)

What do you guys think? I mean, when I was just a wee lad and my Dad first started taking me climbing, as I got older he continually drilled into my head about how much gear is necessary for a climb. But now that I'm faster, and in better shape than he is (definately not tougher...yet) I've done my own research into gear, and I've slimmed down my pack weight A LOT.

I dunno - most folks seem to have a sensible amount of foul-weather clothing, some food, water, a brew or the means of making one, and some emergency kit. Sure, you can regard the emergency kit as dead weight and chuck it, until you have that emergency. For the weight, why chance it?

Although I know it's different when you're a climber - because the climbing gear weighs so much, you end up chucking anything that isn't strictly necessary. Whether that's a good thing or not is up to you. ;)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
addyb said:
I hope this doesn't sound rude guys, but in my opinion, you guys carry FAR too much kit with you. I'm sorry if that offends anyone, but I have to say, from what I've read on this thread so far, I think I've probably got one of the lightest packs. (So Far)

What do you guys think? I mean, when I was just a wee lad and my Dad first started taking me climbing, as I got older he continually drilled into my head about how much gear is necessary for a climb. But now that I'm faster, and in better shape than he is (definately not tougher...yet) I've done my own research into gear, and I've slimmed down my pack weight A LOT.

Mind you, adding hardware (friends, pitons, ice-axe) crampons and rope adds a great deal of weight, but for a few days out none of those are necessary.

What do you gentleman think?

Adam

I have to agree with you, but I pack for every eventuality, ie I go for a bimble in my local woods and armagedan happens :eek: and I have to survive :AR15firin , so I take everything. :D
I also think the extra waight in my day pack is getting me fitter (mind you with the ammount of food prob fatter).
I have tried to take less, but then I think....ah what if this happens and what if that happens and before long Im back to square 1 :D
I just have to come to terms with the fact me and minimalism don't work :(

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
addyb said:

Mind you, adding hardware (friends, pitons, ice-axe) crampons and rope adds a great deal of weight, but for a few days out none of those are necessary.

What do you gentleman think?

Adam

Nope, not at all. Never been a climber, but bet the gear needed can add some weight to a pack. What do you take for a day hike and what do you do while you are hiking?

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Yeh, :lmao: so I can't type, no need to rub it in :11doh:

Adam has a point though. Quite often there is little need to carry much at all.

Sometimes I just have my keyring, which has a mini maglight, whistle and firesteel attached. Plus a water bottle and my Leatherman.

Moduser

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
For a day hike in October in the hills:
Cloths I wear (standard Layering system)
Gaitors
Rain Jacket
Wool Hat
Gloves
Spare Socks
Orange Survival bag
Flask (Hot water)
2ltrs Water
Mug
Pack lunch
Emergence snacks and cup a soap
Headtorch
SAK
FAK
Map & Compass.
Fire steel & wet fire tinder
Trowl & paper
Wet wipes
Camera

For Bushcraft:
Sheath Knife
Folding saw
Tinder Pouch
Reference books
Notebook & pen

Thats it really.

James

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
My kit's almost the same as jamesdevine's above, plus waterproof trousers and an extra warm layer, less the mug, cup-a-soup and firesteel.

Adam makes a good point - travel light, travel fast is the right philosophy - but IMHO you have to have some emergency preparations. Ill-equipped people have frequently died in the British hills. Beyond that, it's a trade between weight and comfort and matching what you take to the likely conditions and planned activities.

Dont we all just LERVE kit! :D

Ted W

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
tedw said:
Dont we all just LERVE kit! :D

Ted W

Your absolutely right, I've spent loadsa money on kit so I bring the lot :lmao:
When we went on the Surrey Sussex meet it was me that had those little bits that they hadden't brought, but saying that, they weren't important bits just silly little things.
So I suppose I didn't really need them..........but :D

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I carry the following on a day , i modify the contents depending on the length of the day and the time of year.

A fixed and a folder. Folder in my pocket

DayHikeKit.jpg

Small pouch i made myself of bits and bobs, either in bag or my smock pocket or on my belt if im going really light
DayHikeKit4.jpg

In that pic is 2 different methods of fire lighting - a lighter, slow match, ferro rod and hexy block ans well as a whistle (with paracord) and dc4 stone.

I also carry a small brew kit with coffee, tea, powdered milk etc. Also a flask and cup and a 10cm tatonka billy with associated burner (and homemade windshield lol). Sometimes i leave the tatonka out if im only out for half a day and wont be needing hot food. I just take the spirit burner then and use the canteen cup to brew up. Some times i take a volcano stove if im in the mood for 'real' fire

DayHikeKit2.jpg

DayHikeKit3.jpg

All of it packs down neatly into my handmade pouches i knocked up

DayHikeKit5.jpg

and fits into this gasmask bag, which i have waterproofed since this pic with homemade greenland wax
DayHikeKit1.jpg

This has room left in it for a small FAK aswell, a spoon and my little camera and notebook and a bit of dried trailmix, jerky, bannock mix and my plastic kuksa etc as well as a little space for foraging fungus etc.

Thats what i take if im out all of the day and am going to ned to eat. if its just half the day i leave out the billy and just take the burner and use the cup on the canteen for a brew.

If im doing carving etc then i take that to, by that point im looking at using a rucksak instead of the shoulder bag though.

Clothes i vary depending on the season, but its all natural stuff like cotton, waxed cotton and wool and leather. Not into goretex etc etc

p.s. sorry for the thread resurrection from 5 years ago lol lol

Last edited:

forestwalker

Depends. Often it is just a knife, some way to make fire, a bandana and SAK in the pocket. Or my Indiana Jones (webbing bum-bag with webbing shoulder strap) with small cookpot, poncho, lapplander, cordage, possibles bag, etc. Or a day-pack with

axe
lapplander/folding bucksaw
possibles bag
poncho (often)
extra garment(s); depends on season
small first aid kit
cookpot (12 cm Zebra or Swedish army pot) or trangia if there is a fire ban
compass and map (usually)
perhaps something to eat
fire starting kit (small bag with tea-candle, matches, fire-lighters, firesteel, etc)
cell phone[1]
shovel (in winter I want to be able to dig in easilly)

[1] Not that coverage is great, but it would allow the to phone home and tell the familly that I won't be home until tomorrow, if needed, or where I'm sitting with a broken leg.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
For a long day in the hills:

1L water bottle
folding knife
lighter and cotton wool
gortex trousers and jacket
phone (water proof one with LED light)
first aid kit
Puritabs
compass
map

All in a maxpedition versipak shoulder bag

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
I usually go out alone so I have the following
1l aluminium type water bottle
home made hobo-stove kit (stove, pot, cheap cake bake tray as a pan, handle etc)
food
fire kit
fixed blade knife
argos small axe/folding saw
compass
depending on climate waterproofs

usually in a forces 33 rucksack as its my only bag, if theres 2 or more then I usually have other peoples kit in there and act as the 'mule'

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
As little as possible. Waterproofs, spare hat and gloves, some food and a bladder with some water in it. Summer its suntan lotion (SPF25 or greater) and insect repellent, Winter its mitts and flask on top of the rest. Plus loads and loads of cereal bars in an external pocket I can reach while on the go.

Plus lately since I got a new UL meths stove I bring a brew kit consisting of a WBS with its windshield and reflector, a plastic mug, lighter. matches and a firestarter (if I ever find it again). Plus a UL pot. Most of that fits into a side pocket and weighs less than 200g so its only the water that weighs owt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE