Whats the best grind for your ideal bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is the best grind for a bushcraft knife?

• Scandy

Votes: 368 58.6%
  • Full Flat

Votes: 101 16.1%
  • Convex

Votes: 142 22.6%
  • Hollow Ground

Votes: 17 2.7%

• Total voters
Well, the 9" Strömeng leuku might be a viable candidate for you.

norwegianleuku1c.jpg

Is this blade carbon steel?
Le Loup.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As this post still seems open. Got to go with convex for so many reasons, including having had spent two days in the woods with Dave Budd learning to sharpen my scalpels, Victorian paring knives and bushy blades.

So for me sabre, convex with slight secondary and sharpen it in the field on wet and dry.

Sandsnakes:)

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
Being a cheapskate and incredibly lazy the grind on my tools follows the profile of whichever power wetstone I'm using.

On the boat I live on, thats a bench grinder type wetstone and in the workshop its an old horizontal 'record player deck' type wetstone. Hollowground and flat ground respectivelly.

Then to be REALLY lazy I finish off with a homemade slow speed power strop dressed with jewelers rouge or even toothpaste if I'm really skint.

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
hi for me is more important blade thickness.
1.5 to 2mm with full conxex like OPINEL uses=goos slicer anc cutter ;-)

Isn't the Flandi what Dave uses already Duncan? A sort of exagerated secondary!?
My best.
Chris.

possible but i doubt its as high a 3-4mm and as acute as 25deg
i havent seen any of his grinds like that

but as i said in the thread its an idea ive come up with BUT its probably been done before (most things have in the knife world)

I woudl like to forge one tho :D

ATB

Duncan

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
its 20yrs since i wacked Hot metal at college :rolleyes:

Might do it as a Stick tang to :eek::D but the shock might kill Dave :lmao:

ATB

Duncan

:nana:

Go on then Duncan, show me what you're made of :swordfigh :D You know I like it when you guys make proper knives instead of those kiddies projects :D

As for me making a 'flandi grind' blade, you are both right. When I started to make forged blades I forged cloes to an edge then went straight into the sharpening and ended up with an edge of about 4mm at 20d on either side. These days my forging is better so I get closer to an edge before putting it to the grinder, so at 20d each side my bevels are normally about 2mm (between 1 and three depending on the nature of the blade). So I guess if I put a much lower angle on it then it would come out close to 4mm.

not quite as shiny as yours though ;)

I have to admit, that although I have been using knives for over 50 years, this stuff is going right over my head. Hence my earlier replies which were obviously not what anyone was looking for. Well here is another one I guess. I sharpen my blades at the same angle all the time, because that is the angle that my hand always holds the blade at on the stone.
I use whatever stone is available, and have been known to use stones out of the creek.

Last edited:

PREPER

Settler
Dec 31, 2009
Notts
This is the sort of thread I joined BCUK for.
I'm learning 'stuff', thanks to all who posted,
I would vote scandy and convex!

PREPER............. :)

Apr 28, 2010
dundee
I'd go with spyderco ceramic in a flat hide case
I've never known anything better and I've tried all oilstones, diamond sharpeners and sticks

a bit of oil and it will sharpen your knife lovely
it also depends on the hardness of the steel blade
titanium or ceramic edged knives are disappointing an with never get a razor edge

one trick I did learn that improves a knife edge immeasurably is to fill the microscopic blade edge grooves with leather particles from a strop hence why I mentioned the hyde case of the sharpener. it turns an already sharp edge into a mirror finish scalpel edge

BarryG

Nomad
Oct 30, 2007
NorthWest England
I voted scandy... purely because of easy of sharpening.
However, my next knife will be coming with a micro bevel. I'm not sure about the merits of this or how easy it will be to maintain it. I guess I'm about to find out. I'm curious to see if there is any discernible difference in cutting ability or edge retention.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE