Whats the best grind for your ideal bushcraft knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What is the best grind for a bushcraft knife?

• Scandy

Votes: 369 58.7%
  • Full Flat

Votes: 101 16.1%
  • Convex

Votes: 142 22.6%
  • Hollow Ground

Votes: 17 2.7%

• Total voters

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
It's interesting hearing about the high scandi grinds. it definitely improves slice-ability, but i feel at the cost of tip strength.

The more i try and discover the "perfect bushknife" the more i realize there isn't one.

Its always a trade of, the woodlore is not my perfect knife. But it has it's good points, a fantastic slicer (thin kitchen knife) would slice extremely well but just would not carve wood at all. The woodlore can carve wood really well, and it can slice food. If your going to have one knife then the woodlore is good because its designed for the strongest job it will do and it still does the other jobs also albeit not the best at those jobs.

I go down the carry more than one knife route!

A small neck knife for detail work, and a bigger knife for removing lots of wood or slicing things.

In relation to grinds this could be

A 4" convex ground knife with a sloyd type wood carving knife
or
A 4" scandi knife with a thin opinal type knife for slicing

Lots of other fun combinations too, its actually a good thing that no one knife does everything well because it gives us lots of enjoyment trying different things out to see what suits us best. Never suits the wallet best though:D

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Paul, that's a birch bark handle...

Birch bark, of course it is...Doh! :eek:

...This knife came from Finnish knifemaker Pekka Tuominen. Pekka is a superb knifemaker and excellent to work with. He's very good at answering emails and delivering knives when promised.

Thanks for this Link. I've long admired the Finnish high grind, to my eyes his knives look very workmanlike, very effective cutters with a wonderful simplicity of form.

Paul, you should check out the hankala blades. they are very similar!

Thanks, Shinken, I'll check it out.

Cheers guys,
Paul.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jukka's knives are superb. Beautifully forged rhomboidal cross section. HisTuhkuri is one tough hombre. Pekka and Jukka are good friends and both excellent makers.

hankala1b.jpg

Last edited:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Buy two or three. :lmao:

The way the dollar is right now, it's actually quite a splurge for me to buy one of Pekka's or Jukka's knives. I've been lusting after another one of Jukka's knives for a long time but the dollar just kept declining. :( Still on my list. Pricewise, you folks are in much better shape.

blackwolf1

Dec 12, 2007
Auburn,Maine U.S.A.
I've stated that I am a fan of Bark River knives,especially their bushcraft line.
I've used North Stars,Mini north stars and am now using an Aurora.
All are convex ground and screaming sharp.All I've done to sharpen them ,or just a touch up has been a simple stropping.Very easy to maintain,even under field conditions with a
Altoids tin sharpener.
I've peeled bark,made fuzz sticks,sharpened tent pegs,etc all w/o any issues.

W

watercress

There are many very use full edges for your knife that work well in what ever situation you may be in. I like the Grohmann Grind. I liek the bit & it holds really well & is not hard to get back. I have a Frost that i carry for fine feather sticks or filleting my catch on the river.

Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Paul, that's a birch bark handle and that's the main reason I bought the knife. Birch bark handles have an incredible feel to them and this one in particular is exceptional in that regard. Incredible warmth, cushion and excellent grippiness. Plush.

Birch trees rot long before the bark does, so there are natural chemicals in birch bark that contribute to its longevity as well.

This knife came from Finnish knifemaker Pekka Tuominen. Pekka is a superb knifemaker and excellent to work with. He's very good at answering emails and delivering knives when promised.

Oh, wow.....beautiful work :)
I've just followed your link and am now in hot water with himself who's just said, "Another knife !:eek: " with all the opprobium only a husband of thirty years can get away with.....:puppy_dog

.............it's my birthday soon :D , but I so don't need another knife........:sigh:

I voted Scandi on the poll but Leon_1 made me the most beautiful set from a Fallkniven WM1 blade, and I have really taken to the convex grind. It's excellent in use for virtually every purpose and it not only keeps its' edge but sharpens quickly and easily, though to be honest, I usually just polish/ hone it to restore the edge.

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Oh, wow.....beautiful work :)
I've just followed your link and am now in hot water with himself who's just said, "Another knife !:eek: " with all the opprobium only a husband of thirty years can get away with.....:puppy_dog

.............it's my birthday soon :D , but I so don't need another knife........:sigh:

I voted Scandi on the poll but Leon_1 made me the most beautiful set from a Fallkniven WM1 blade, and I have really taken to the convex grind. It's excellent in use for virtually every purpose and it not only keeps its' edge but sharpens quickly and easily, though to be honest, I usually just polish/ hone it to restore the edge.

cheers,
Toddy

Well, if you like Pekka's work, I have some more photos... :D

fulltang_kimmo1b.jpg

green_and_satin_family1b.jpg

pekka_leukus1.jpg

competition_craft_2008b.jpg

Last edited:

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
You have superb taste Hoodoo!

I just received my first Hankala this past Saturday looking identical to the Tuhkuri which you posted. An amazing knife. I find it difficult to imagine any others which could be better made or be so appropriate for so many uses! I believe scandis to be the ultimate in design and function. And thanks for the shots of Pekka's work, amazing knives!

NJ

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You have superb taste Hoodoo!

I just received my first Hankala this past Saturday looking identical to the Tuhkuri which you posted. An amazing knife. I find it difficult to imagine any others which could be better made or be so appropriate for so many uses! I believe scandis to be the ultimate in design and function. And thanks for the shots of Pekka's work, amazing knives!

NJ

I've never felt guilty recommending Jukka's knives. Just superb work. Glad you like yours.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oh those leukus are so appealing.

I wonder how a larger 10" leuku would do as a jungle knife? I am beginning to think quite well.

As half Finn I think I am obliged to try them out.

Who makes traditional inexpensive leukus which are meant as work knives and who accepts and delivers overseas orders?

I am looking for a plain wooden handle that can handle heat and high humidity.

BTW, I voted scandi for the small knife and convex for big blades

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Oh those leukus are so appealing.

I wonder how a larger 10" leuku would do as a jungle knife? I am beginning to think quite well.

As half Finn I think I am obliged to try them out.

Who makes traditional inexpensive leukus which are meant as work knives and who accepts and delivers overseas orders?

I am looking for a plain wooden handle that can handle heat and high humidity.

BTW, I voted scandi for the small knife and convex for big blades

Well, the 9" Strömeng leuku might be a viable candidate for you.

norwegianleuku1c.jpg

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I can vouch for the Samikniv!
Mind you I have had it glance off some gren hazel when I got the angle of swipe wrong...por technique is amplified by the bigger blade!

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
Scandi for me.

I've got a couple of scandi and convex. I like both but If I had to pick between the two I wouldn't hesitate in picking a scandi one. I've found they split wood better too.

You can get a convex amazingly sharp but I just think scandi is better and easy to sharpen in the field.

Scandi grind, Japanese waterstones, a strop with some Aluminaoxide on it makes for a edge any phone book or yellow pages should be sceared of.

My current knife of choice, an Enzo Trapper, strong sharp and very nice in the hand.

You can't really tell in those photos, but after about an hour on a 6000 stone its starting to get a mirror edge which I'm after. I've started a fire before off a knife that had a mirror edge (using the sun and a bit of newspaper in the garden).

Its also the sharpest I've ever got a knife, glides through 8 sheets of paper like its not there.

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
Both convex and scandi!

I"m a Bark River fan, and I have convexed my SAKs also; a few quick swipes on the hone and they are shaving sharp.....I just got my first scandi (a Wood Jewell) and I also like that edge. I don't see much difference in ease of sharpening between the two types...anything but a useless v-grind!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE