What wildlife is under your ground sheet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
E

ex member coconino

Two weeks ago I counted 43 slugs under my ground sheet when I lifted it up to pack; this weekend, in the exact same spot, there were just two slugs but dozens of worms instead. What's under your ground sheet?

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The most exciting find was a couple of contented toads which I'm sure were not there when I put the sheet down.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
I have had voles running about under my ground sheet, and where still there when i lifted it how they did not get squished over the weekend i dont know !

Jason

greensurfingbear

When i was working in Chile I had a colony of ants set up under my tent, the toblerone bar in hind sight not such a good idea. While working in New England I had a family of chipmunks living under the tent not quite a ground sheet as the tent was a raised plantform....and I didn't dare look under the tent platform when I worked in New Mexico but I certainly shook my shoes out in the mornings! had a few close calls with rattle snakes and spiders on that job lol.

Last edited:
E

ex member coconino

I have had voles running about under my ground sheet, and where still there when i lifted it how they did not get squished over the weekend i dont know !

Jason

Indeed a mystery! I've had voles sneak into the tent before, luckily nothing bigger. Mostly just spiders and beetles, but then this is south-east England rather than south-west USA. I'd love to have chipmunks visit!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Spent the entire summer camped in a tent in a meadow in Wisconsin about 10 years ago in the Nicolet National Forest. I had a poly ground cloth outside and inside. When I took the tent down, I found two snakes under the tent. Harmless though. Unfortunately one of them was squished. :(

E

ex member coconino

Spent the entire summer camped in a tent in a meadow in Wisconsin about 10 years ago in the Nicolet National Forest. I had a poly ground cloth outside and inside. When I took the tent down, I found two snakes under the tent. Harmless though. Unfortunately one of them was squished. :(
:( indeed. A thought occurs to me... hammocks are sometimes cited as a way to stay safer from dangerous snakes, but your tale suggests using a hammock could also help protect wildlife. Perhaps the answer to "what wildlife is under your ground sheet" is "less than there was before it was pitched".

E

ex member coconino

i've had a mole and a grass snake :)

One pitch I use regularly is covered in mole hills, but I've never seen one of the builders. I've thought I've felt them under the ground sheet sometimes but I think it's more likely to have been voles, which there are also plenty of. I've not seen a grass snake for years.

E

ex member coconino

Not quite under my groundsheet this time, but I spotted a toad sitting quietly nearby once I'd pitched. Of course it was immediately caught and presented to the nearest small child, who held it very gently until we put it back where it came from.

When striking camp I found under the groundsheet a single cotton-bud, which wasn't there when I arrived and wasn't in my kit (I don't use 'em). Spoooooky!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
After setting up a tarp mid wales on a recent hike...
then listening to two amorous frogs jumping (or trying) over the tarp most of the night to exchange numbers I discovered they made it under after some time and where having a 'cuddle' under my bivi bag in the morning :rolleyes:

Its a good job i finally passed out about three a.m.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE