What thread for sewing leather?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I've just picked up a bargain leather jacket from the boot fair. I'd like to make some possibilities pouches.
The leather is thick but supple.

What thread should I be using? I have a standard sewing box with some good quality cottons but I presume they will not be strong enough.

I would like something that I can pick up from the haberdashery rather than order online so I can start tomorrow on my day off.

Would my sewing machine cotton be thick enough if I doubled it up twice and waxed it with a candle?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Linen thread. Waxed.
My local market sells it as do a few other places nearby but expect to pay more for less. Buy it on-line and its cheaper.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I'll by some online, but I'll pick some up tomorrow so I can get started.
Thank you.

While I've got the thread going, can anyone advice on what I need to rivet? Can I buy rivets and plant them with a hammer?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Linen thread. Waxed.
My local market sells it as do a few other places nearby but expect to pay more for less. Buy it on-line and its cheaper.

What he said :)

As an alternative you can use waxed dental floss as that's what artificial sinew is. According to Mr Fenna though you don't want to get the flavoured ones :lmao:

pwb

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Just started using the Tiger thread and so far think it's great.... that's after first using linen then nylon thread .
Quite hard to get hold of but if you would like to try it out Leodis Leather on Etsy sells 20m hanks for a fiver and has a lot of different colours and thicknesses to choose from.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/120961806/tiger-thread-for-leatherwork-20m?ref=shop_home_active_2

Pete.

Or here

http://www.abbeyengland.com/Store/t...2/ProductID/68933/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

pwb

What benefit is there to be gaind from useing this tiger thread over linen?

In my limited use of tiger thread I'd say because it's super strong . When I used linen thread I found it frayed and on occasion broke and that was with bees wax on too, probably through me doing something wrong no doubt but I changed to nylon not long after starting doing a bit of leather work.
Matter of preference I suppose, just liked the feel of the thread as well as the colours too. Good to try out different materials as well now and then.

Pete

Tom___

Mar 3, 2010
N.Ireland
+ 1 for tiger thread, though I thought Abby don't sell to the public? Tiger thread imho is the best stuff to use bar none.....

If your just practicing or aren't to fussy artificial sinew or waxed linen is fine..
If your really stuck, and are a fisherman, wax up some lightweight braided backing...

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE