what sak?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We probably have all had one but which one?

To clarify, I'm not really asking what ask you have just which one is a good general use one?

I have a cyber tool and a simple knife x2, bottle/can openers, corkscrew, scissors and tool for getting scouts out of horses hooves (the old jokes...). Is there another, better/simpler one?

Was looking at a locking knife version but they didn't have scissors. I find I use the scissors most but still fancy a locking one. Saw a nice climber model with ergonomic grip and I think it's a liner lock not the switch on the side which doesn't seem good to me.

Any ideas? Or is another make better?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The scissors on most SAKs, multi-tools and similar are all very much a compromise between usability and compactness. If you use scissors a lot but need the portability/compactness you might want to consider a separate pair of folding scissors. I use scissors only rarely so those on my Victorinox Signature do fine for me. I keep it in a pouch on my belt, with a lighter, a torch and a pair of larger tweezers.

If you prefer simplicity and a locking blade consider the 51 from the Wenger Ranger series (I have no problem with the button locking mechanism on those knives) or you might want to look at a folder such as the EKA Swede 10 (which has a superbly solid lock, it's like a fixed blade when opened) or perhaps something like the Swede 92 (my personal favourite -- although it has a different lock mechanism which is not quite as solid as that on the Swede 10, I find it easier to operate). Folders such as these might be more comfortable in extended use but it sounds like that isn't your main issue.

You could supplement a folder with a separate multi-tool -- that is what I've done for many years. My Leatherman Charge TTi has good little scissors but they're less convenient to deploy than those on my Signature so they rarely see any action. I don't like the pliers much but they're strong and well made.

There are so many choices out there that you will certainly e able to find something which suits you. The journey to find your ideal is fun, and can be expensive. :)

Edit: I've just thought about the Ranger 71 or the Ranger 172 which you might like, or the Buck similar models if you can get one. I don't think any of them are made any more.

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Is there another, better/simpler one

Not saying it's better, but i suppose it's simpler with regard to number of blades etc, i have a few SAK's including a Camper and a locking model (can't remember the name) but this is by far my favourite, and carried most every day, when i don't need to use a locker or fixed in the field. A bit hard to come by now, but the GAK is very similar and still available.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
We probably have all had one but which one?

To clarify, I'm not really asking what ask you have just which one is a good general use one?

I have a cyber tool and a simple knife x2, bottle/can openers, corkscrew, scissors and tool for getting scouts out of horses hooves (the old jokes...). Is there another, better/simpler one?

Was looking at a locking knife version but they didn't have scissors. I find I use the scissors most but still fancy a locking one. Saw a nice climber model with ergonomic grip and I think it's a liner lock not the switch on the side which doesn't seem good to me.

Any ideas? Or is another make better?

I use a huntsman and an Outrider ( a Locking knife With "Scissors")

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Not saying it's better, but i suppose it's simpler with regard to number of blades etc, i have a few SAK's including a Camper and a locking model (can't remember the name) but this is by far my favourite, and carried most every day, when i don't need to use a locker or fixed in the field. A bit hard to come by now, but the GAK is very similar and still available.

A Mausers Officers Knife had and lost one in the Army. Great tool

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Carried a hiker for many years - same as camper but with a cross point rather than corkscrew. Used loads and all good features. Plus legal to carry as it does not lock.

I have a trailmaster in my rucksack. Same as above but bigger blade and liner lock. As such not a legal EDC in general terms (yes, I know justification, permission and all that stuff :) )

I want a Farmer as my next Victorinox :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Farmer is my favourite, but the older Forester is a close second (you can pick then up cheap if you shop around).

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Outrider looks good. Wonder where's best to buy sak's? A lot of the victorinix or Wenger knives are probably harder to find.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Heinnie usually have good stocks.

Champ, Special from Switzerland, Rucksack.
IMG-20110405-00027_zps1a6c8be8.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE