what sak?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Same company and both made at the Wenger factory now too I believe, but is one better designed? I read that Victorinix has reduced direct competition between the brands. To my eyes Wenger knives look better, the can opener looks totally different for example. The scissors don't have the bent spring steel like Victorinix. I've had 2 or 3 Victorinix and this spring has failed. Admittedly my first one failed when a mate borrowed it to look at it. He handed it back after half an hour with a satisfied grin on his face, telling me he'd fixed it. The bugger straightened the spring thinking it was broken!! :)

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Alox Farmer in pocket and classic on key ring, a very useful combination. I use the back of the nail file on the classic as a striker for my firesteel

Soundmixer

Forager
Mar 9, 2011
Angus, Scotland
It depends on what you want from a SAK.
My daily carry is a Spartan in black. All I need for work, dog walking and general wine opening! Takes a great edge as they all do. The handle is thin enough to be confortable but not wear a hole in my Levis.
Out and about on bushy travels, then it's a Farmer. The saw is fantastic and the lack of a wee blade doesn't bother me.
I also carry a SAK rally which has a Phillips screwdriver rather than scissors attached to my one door key and it's worth is priceless.

Overall I do love the Spartan. I filed off the keyring so it is smooth all over. Tomorrow I fly to Dublin for a weeks work and the Spartan is in my suitcase ready to be deployed when I get there. I can't believe how much I use all the features, all the time, even the wire stripper.
And it's legal nearly everywhere in the world.

jandude

Jan 11, 2013
Cambs
I love my Swiss champ. 22yrs old (it, not me any more!) and used regularly. I like the scissors, wood saw is great, Philips/position screwdriver is superb, used big and small blade today, tin opener, 2 screwdrivers and a blade yesterday. Even used the pen last week...
Someone beggared the scissors spring once but they're replaceable - think it was 75p, about 10 yrs ago. I never lend stuff any more though - call me untrusting but...
I don't find it too wide to hold either.
I love my champ. :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Oh god, this one could run & run!

I've got close on 40 SAK's, I just cant resist them.

The ones I use most used are the Huntsman, Camper, Hiker, Farmer and the Classic. I recently picked up a Champ at a car boot for a tenner, I find it too big to carry, but it's handy around the house for a lot of things. The spine of the saw makes a great fire-steel scraper if you hold it right, or just square off the bottom of the can opener for the same job.

Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE