What pocket knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon E

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
3rd Planet from the sun
I carry a Case Canoe in C.V, its polished too, I'm not one of these heathens that like 'Patina' :D I also have a Canoe from Queen, but the Case runs rings around it IMHO.

I have an EKA Nordic too that I love, but its way too big for EDC.

I used to own a knife shop and I have handled an awful lot of stuff, but I have yet to find anything that is as pleasing to the eye and touch as the Canoe. There is something to be said for the little ceremony of slipping it out of its case, using two hands to open it and that very satisfying 'snap' when it opens. The fact that it cuts like the devil now that I have convexed it is secondary :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red said:
Can't say its tooo weird ...and not at all Bushcrafty......however...Bushwacker Bob called in this evening for a gossip and is going to try rehandling it for me...so I may post a pic when its more respectable.

It is, however a scandy ground folding knife - and there aren't many!

Red

Okay, thread resurrection :D

I did promise to show my favourite (non SAK) folder when Bushwacker Bob had worked its magic on it

Here it is in its new guise.

396820405_217a4585e2.jpg

396820407_519590c252.jpg

I really like working with this knife - it has a proper Scandy grind, a full spear point which makes it great for boring and a really "precise" feel. I asked Bushwacker to make it look a little more civilian thatn its original look since I like the blade precision but despise all things "tactical"

I'd say he succeeded.

I know many will hate this knife - but it gives me a folding, highly precise Scandy ground pocket knife which is what I wanted. Its not an EDC as it does lock, but when I want to do more than my SAK is up for but don't want to carry my fixed blade (for discretion of just weight), I really like this one. Its a great combination with my belt knife too - a good knife for fine work but man enough for heavier tasks.

(awaits screams of horror) :D

Red

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
thats lvely if you ask me, in the first pic it looks like it has sorta ridges on the back, is this true ? if so are they good with a firesteel ?
leon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No mate, there are some on the finger guard though which cast brilliant sparks. I think the apparent ones are just reflection! He does do lovely work although he hated this one as its all held together with torq screws :)

British Red said:
Okay, thread resurrection :D

I did promise to show my favourite (non SAK) folder when Bushwacker Bob had worked its magic on it

Here it is in its new guise.

396820405_217a4585e2.jpg

396820407_519590c252.jpg

I really like working with this knife - it has a proper Scandy grind, a full spear point which makes it great for boring and a really "precise" feel. I asked Bushwacker to make it look a little more civilian thatn its original look since I like the blade precision but despise all things "tactical"

I'd say he succeeded.

I know many will hate this knife - but it gives me a folding, highly precise Scandy ground pocket knife which is what I wanted. Its not an EDC as it does lock, but when I want to do more than my SAK is up for but don't want to carry my fixed blade (for discretion of just weight), I really like this one. Its a great combination with my belt knife too - a good knife for fine work but man enough for heavier tasks.

(awaits screams of horror) :D

Red

Another quality custom job from bushwacker bob and I tink it looks great!

Phil.

As for me my pocket knife is a :-

Boker Model: 2053 - Black Micarta Handle Folder with Nickel Silver Bolster

"Comfortable fit and balance featuring a 3" blade of CPM 440 V stainless steel, black Micarta handles and nickel silver bolsters. Thumb stud for easy one-hand opening. Closed length 4 3/8".

Knife Type: Easy Open
Knife Lock: Back Lock
Blade Type: Spear Point
Blade Edge: Plain
Blade Length: 3"
Closed Length: 4.25"
Blade Color: Silver
Blade Material: 440 stainless
Handle Color: Black
Handle Material: Micarta"

images.php

Phil.

leon-1

I was looking at one of those ti lite's the other day Red (a friend collects cold steel including the swords). I found the handle a little too small in the hand. They also have a locking blade and the police may think that the basic model, with Zytel grips, could look a bit aggressive if you were stopped. Nice knife with good lock up and Bob's done a nice job on it.

Hellz

Nomad
Sep 26, 2003
Kent, England
www.hellzteeth.com
Some of my pocketknives:

canoed2_2.JPG

Queen Cutlery Canoe in D2. Excellent EDC knife.

geneingram_pw_1.JPG

Gene Ingram Pocket Wharncliffe, S30V in Spalted Maple Burl. Really, really good ;)

There are some pretty good options out there, but for the money I think the Queen Canoe makes a really good pocket companion. Decent steel, traditional good looks... It's a good 'un.

Patrick

D

Deleted member 4605

schwuk said:
Same here - always have SAK or two on me, or my Gerber multitool. At home my Mora is never far away either.

I've just been given an Opinel No. 6, and I prefer it (as a knife) over my SAKs but for obvious reasons hasn't replaced them.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
My EDC is a Vic SwissChamp along with a Large regular plain Sebenza or a Large RitterGrip
If it has to be a slippy it's a UKPK but usually i like to carry a locking folder.

448_4884_1.jpg

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
My EDC knife would be this one.

It serves me for going on 10 years nog and it has never let me down once.
Even managed to saw down a birch with it :eek:
-EDIT- Its the SOG AirSOG btw.
The other knife is the first one i've ever made.
Simply called project #1

DSCN0864648x486.jpg

Lately i've got this little one in my pack most of the time.
Simply for when a serrated blade just doesn't work.
I've made it from an old knife my dad had lying around and some walnut and birch i had lying around.

DSCN0919.jpg

And the Future EDC mught very well be this one which i've started on recently

Folder1.jpg

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
I myself carry lots of blades. The laws in Sweden are like the UK, but not that obsessive. Anyway.
In my trouser pocket: Fallkniven U2
Jacket pocket: Leatherman Fuse (black)
In my EDC backpack (cheap gift from renters assoc.): FK F1, SAK and maybe something else.
In car: Huge axe, swedish army ninja-combat-assault showel :)
I guess I have to leave almost everything behind if I were to visit my aunt.
The SAK might pass and maybe the U2, if I remove the lock.
I might get a Gerber ASEK and put somewhere in the car. Looks like something useful if encountering an accident.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
As mentioned in a recent post on another thread, I carry the good old WW2 pattern British Army Knife. The type with the Lambsfoot main blade, a bottle/can opener blade and the marlin spike for undoing knots and getting stones out of horses' hooves. It's also the DB's for punching holes in tins of evaporated milk!

Looks like this....

http://www.sheffieldknives.co.uk/acatalog/3pcbritarmybex.jpg

Yeoman

By the way, why can't I upload pictures onto posts direct from my PC?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I've gone down a route less travelled for my everyday EDC.

I usually have a SAK and Gerber Multi-Tool handy in my "manbag" but what I carry on my person now is this,

Nat-Geo-Knife004.jpg

or this

NatGeo0011.jpg

These knives don't look much like knives, which is good given the current attitude towards knives. They don't look tactical either and they are incredibly handy as they can be clipped onto your clothing, keyring or bag.

This is the kind of knife I have on me because I never know when I might need to use one which means they do light cutting. If I know I'm going to need to do some serious cutting I'll take along a folder that I think will be appropriate for the task.

Levi

Feb 11, 2007
North Yorks.
Rebel said:
These knives don't look much like knives, which is good given the current attitude towards knives.

Careful you don't get done for carrying a "concealed weapon" (might be funny if it weren't so true :eek: )

I usually carry an Opinel 5, mainly because I daren't carry anything else. Even the Spyderco UKPK, although perfectly legal, looks just threatening enough to cause hassle with plod.

I might be being a bit paranoid, but after having the police round twice for using an air rifle in my own garden, I'm not taking any chances when it comes to pointy things in public; they're just too easily scared.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
My normaly carry is a William Henry Legacy (H300-C model)
a sade under 3inches and non locking but a costly option and carbon fiber doesn't sound like your thing
for apple slicing the larger locking SAKs are great and I think you'd normaly be ok as they are still a swiss army knife

have you looked at Taylor Eye Witness knives?

boland magyar

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2006
west midlands
my pocket knife is a szankovits 3 inch folding knife......i picked it up in budapest about 10 years ago its hand made and holds a good edge..... if you ever go to budapest go to the market by vaci street and they sell them there, like i said they are hand made by a family that has been making them for 200 years....not bad price.
boland

Andy said:
for apple slicing the larger locking SAKs are great and I think you'd normaly be ok as they are still a swiss army knife

QUOTE]

they most definatly are NOT ok they are locking AND over 3"

you can remove the lock easily just pop the scale of and remove the spring and grey button

BUT you still have to regrind to sub 3"

I would do this but im not happy with the spring holding the blade open

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE